Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

Member:Lumekatti
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:Harper Collins USA (2012), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012, YA, post-apocalypse, Romance

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (175)  German (2)  Italian (1)  English (178)
Savages and Aether storms roam the wastelands. These are the things Aria faces when she is cast out of her POD. Now, she searches for her mother in hopes to clear her name and return to home. That's when she meets Perry, the savage, and the two must work together to survive. The book was well-written with plenty of action, that is why I gave it 4 stars. Now it's on to book #2. ( )
  stevealtier | Nov 14, 2016 |
My rating: 4.5 stars.

Short and Sweet: A great dystopian set in an incredible and imaginative world with some

amazing characters.

Review: Under the Never Sky is a dystopian story narrated in two different voices: Perry

and Aria. Aria is a dweller, she lives in what is called Reverie, one of the many pods that

protect the people from the outside world and the terrible Aether storms that occur. In

the pods everything is virtual, nothing is real. You don’t get sick and you live for a long

time. Perry on the other hand is an outsider; he is of the few thousand people that stayed

out of the pods and lives outside them. With time they developed special abilities or more

enhanced senses. They are also seen as savages. So what happens when Aria is cast out

and forced to survive in this deadly world. Two worlds collide and things will never be

the same.

I really enjoyed this book. It really has a unique storyline. At first it was difficult for me

to immerse myself into this world. I couldn’t really understand the pods or the smarteyes.

But with time I got into it. So world development could have been better at first but don’t

be discouraged with time you settle into it. I fell in love with the characters instantly,

especially Perry. I always enjoyed his point of view. The transition between voices was

smooth, I didn’t get confused at all and I could really tell who I was reading. They each

had distinctive voices and I loved that. The plot moved along quickly, it was very fast

paced which kept me wanting to read the next chapter all the time. All in all, it was a very

enjoyable dystopian read. I will definitely be picking up the rest of the series real soon. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
I had heard so many good things about Under the Never Sky prior to reading it, that my expectations may have been too high. It was a very good story that kept me interested, but never really grabbed me as I hoped it would. In the story, Aria is forced from the protection of the"pod" where she lives when a group of boys start a fire that kills them all except Aria. Once she is "Outside," Aria confronts "savages" with finely tuned senses that have learned to survive the storms of the Aether. At first she is repulsed, but one called Peregrine saves her life on more than one occasion, and Aria starts to gain an understanding of life "Outside" through her interactions with Perry. Trouble brews when Perry kills a group of cannibals that are trying to hurt Aria. The revenge the cannibals seek puts Perry and everyone he knows at risk.
There is an underlying geopolitical undercurrent in this story and themes that ask moral questions such as, "How much harm do we do to ourselves when we make life so easy that we take away things like challenges and goals?".
Overall this book was very well written with enough action, excitement, and mystery to keep readers interested, but for me, it missed the mark due to the lack of emotional connection between characters. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jul 11, 2016 |
The story was pretty familiar ... there are sections that reminded me of other books - including Twilight.

So, there wasn't much fresh storytelling, but it was okay. I'd certainly rather read something new and original, but if I had to, I'd probably pick up the second book in the series. If only to see Roar again. That's right, Roar. Who could resist a man with that name?

imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Loved this book. I don't care how you classify it - dystopian, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, for me it's a love story. It's also about recognizing your strengths and doing things you never thought possible. I loved Aria and Perry and how they both grew and changed. Finished this morning and bought the 2nd one this afternoon. If it's as good as this one, it's going to be a long night! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible