Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

934None9,299 (4.08)26
Member:Lumekatti
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:Harper Collins USA (2012), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012, YA, post-apocalypse, Romance

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

2012 (10) 2012-release (5) 2013 (10) adventure (5) dystopia (58) dystopian (60) ebook (24) fantasy (27) favorites (8) fiction (30) Kindle (15) library (6) love (7) own (6) paranormal (8) post-apocalyptic (19) read (10) read in 2013 (11) romance (45) science fiction (45) series (18) sff (5) survival (22) teen (15) to-read (92) trilogy (6) Under the Never Sky (6) virtual reality (5) YA (54) young adult (66)

English (145)  German (2)  All languages (147)
Really great series. Can not wait til the next one comes in. Adventure, little romance, mystery, & twist in the story, what more could you want. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 3, 2014 |
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi is the first book of her three book (so far) Under the Never Sky series. It's dystopian setting is two worlds, one in secluded domes where everyone lives through virtual realms and they can do just about anything that can be imagined, the second world is outside exposed to the elements including violent storms.

The story is told alternately through Aria and Perry. They come from different worlds, but slowly build a trusting relationship. They realize they each have the same goal of finding loved ones and need each other to make that happen. I appreciated the fact that it wasn't love at first sight, they had to work together and learn about each other for the caring to develop.

If you're a sci-fi geek, don't expect the technology and realms of Reverie to be explained in depth. It's not, but really isn't needed to fill out the storyline.

Rossi has built a great dystopian world in Under the Never Sky. The characters are believable and the plot is intriguing and paced well. I'm looking forward to reading the whole series! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 25, 2014 |
Aria and Peregrine are from two very different communities on the same world. Peregrine's tribe lives outside and makes use of the land to survive. They have adapted to the dangerous ether storms with talents like extreme sight and hearing. Aria's people live in technologically advanced pods and have deadened their senses by living in virtual worlds. Both societies are built on similar lies and these deceptions bring Aria and Peregrine together. I wont be reading the next two volumes in the trilogy, I wasn't that interested in the plot or the characters. The romance was sweet and chaste but the action didn't add balance. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 16, 2014 |
I had been wanting to read this book for some time. I had heard excellent things about it, and although I am a bit burnt out on YA dystopian books, I thought it was worth giving this a shot. This was a decent post-apocalyptic/dystopia young adult story...it’s better than a lot of the ones out there, but not my favorite either.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was very well done. The narrator did an excellent job of capturing emotion and differentiating between different character voices.

Aria is exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, and sent out to the Death Shop (the outside) when she gets into an altercation with an important individual inside Reverie. Peregrine (Perry) is out hunting when he stumbles upon Aria. Perry is an Outsider, a Savage. Perry has been forced to leave his tribe because him and his brother are butting heads for rulership of the tribe. Perry and Aria strike a deal. Perry wants Aria to help him retrieve his nephew from Reverie, while Aria needs to get her Smart Eye back to Reverie in order to prove her innocence, they will help each other out until they each get what they want.

Aria and Perry travel through a wasted land where Ether storms ravage the landscape and make the Outside a very dangerous place to live. Each of them is trying to abide the other's company and struggling towards their goals.

The story is told both from Aria and Perry's perspectives. It's a pretty typical post-apocalyptic/dystopia type of story. Aria and Perry both have assumptions about the others’ world and of course these assumptions are not quite right.

I liked Aria and Perry as characters. Aria is obviously in a bit of shock when she is sent Outside, but she adapts well and is funny and witty. She is flexible enough to consider that what she learned in Reverie might not be the truth and tough enough to take the knowledge and make her own conclusions.

Perry I didn’t like quite as much. He is just sooo intense and sooo moody. If I were Aria I would have smacked him a number of times and told him to lighten up.

The chemistry between the two is okay. I felt like there was a bit of insta-love going in here. Perry was just drawn to Aria’s beauty right away and wants to protect her. He does back-off and they do take the time to get to know each other before getting too involved. So it wasn’t as bad as a lot of other young adult books out there.

My favorite character by far was Roar, he was funny, honest, and helpful. He added a lot of fun to the story and was an excellent character to read about.

There were a couple things I did enjoy about this world. I liked the idea of the Outsiders developing super hero like powers with one of their five senses. Perry can see in the dark and read people’s Tempers (emotions). There are other characters that have super hearing or can see super far away. The idea of humans adapting their sense to survive in a new world is interesting.

I thought the idea of a landscape covered in Ether Storms was an interesting one too and wished this had been explained better. There is also a rumor of a place where the sky is still blue. This is a hope that kind of hovers in the background of the story. There is also the idea of Rendering which is something Perry has done with his nephew. Perry has Rendered to Talon and as such is attuned to everything Talon feels or does. It makes a person super-sensitive to what another person needs.

The world building is a bit weak. Why there are Ether Storms is never well explained. The world outside of Perry and Aria's small area is never well explained either. I am hoping this is expanded upon in future books.

Overall this was a decent dystopian story. It was better than many YA dystopian novels out there but not my favorite. At this point I am unsure if I will read the next one or not. This book just has a lot of the same underlying themes that a lot of these books have. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad post-apocalyptic/dystopia series...I just wasn't really dying to know what would happen next when I got to the end of it. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Under the Never Sky deposits the reader into a disconcerting futuristic world where most of the remaining population lives partially underground in what are called pods. In order to keep their sanity in such a crowded enclosed space, these Dwellers spend most of their time in virtual reality “Realms” which advanced technology has created to almost perfectly simulate life, including senses like touch and smell. Within these realms, a simple thought causes action, no need to even walk or talk, just think it and you will be doing it in these “realms.” Its absolutely fascinating.

Aria’s mother is a geneticist doing some top secret studies in a pod hundreds of miles away from their home pod “Reverie.” When their link in the Realms is suddenly broken and Aria doesn’t hear from her mother for over a week, she is determined to find out what is going on. When her search causes her to cross people in high places, she finds herself exiled from the pods and deposited on the outside, which she is sure is a death sentence. All Aria knows of the outside is that those that live out there are savages, cannibals, and who knows what else. Not to mention the unpredictable Aether storms that rain fire down onto the earth, leaveing whole stretches of land nothing but scorched desolate wastelands. In order to survive, Aria strikes a deal with one of the dreaded Outsiders with the hope that he will help her locate her mother and get herself back inside and back into the Realms which is much better than reality.

At the beginning of Under the Never Sky, the main characters, Aria and Peregrine are not very likable characters at all. Both are immature, selfish, and inconsiderate. Both have ideas about who the other is based on the things they have heard, the stories they’ve been told about “Moles” and “Savages". Aria thinks he is a mindless violent barbarian and he thinks Aria is a weak idiot. Neither of them do much to prove the other wrong for a while, both so focused on their own personal pain and intentions that the other’s needs seem inconsequential to them. Throughout their journey, however, they come to discover the value in each others strengths and learn to appreciate one another a bit more.

Peregrine, or Perry, seemed at the beginning to be an immature, impulsive, brat who threw temper tantrums when he did not get his way and made dangerous choices with no thought for the consequences to himself or others. The power struggle with his brother over establishing dominance was fascinating but it was relationship with his nephew that brought out what was good in Perry at first. His character grows so much as he begins to learn from some of the consequences of his actions. By the end of this book, I’m halfway in love with him myself. I’m typically not one to go on about the romantic aspect of a book, but this was nearly perfectly done. The author made me go from dislike, to respect, to attraction right along with Aria, so of course the romance was completely believable for me!! And it definitely gets pretty hot and heavy!! Aria also grew as a character throughout the book and I came to really like and empathize with her. But to be honest, from when Peregrine first appeared in the pages, for me, the story became all about him. He’s one of those larger than life kind of characters that seems to fill up all the space on the page even when he’s the one that says the least.

I really enjoyed the contrast of the high tech world that Aria grew up in with the almost primitive world that Perry inhabits. Those that live outside the pods have adapted to the everchanging landscape and fierce and unpredictable ether storms. Some have very primitive and animalistic features and have also developed intensified senses, such as sight (night vision), smell (can scent emotions) and auditory (can hear minute noises from long distances). Perry is one of those rare people that have two overdeveloped senses, sight and smell. For him, all emotions have a very specific scent and he can nearly determine someones thoughts by the smell they give off. Its incredibly intriguing. I hope to learn more about what occurred to cause these changes in those that live outside the pods and how that caused some people to inherit these abilities.

There is so much I could say about how incredible this book was. From the fascinating yet terrifying world to the swoon-worthy romance to the intense plot, I LOVED this book. I also truly enjoyed the secondary characters, none of whom ever fell flat and each one continued to surprise me with unanticipated layers of depth. If I have one complaint about Under the Never Sky its that it ends on a cliffhanger, nothing is actually resolved in this story which is certainly frustrating, but I liked this books so much that I’m even willing to overlook that. That awesome twist at the end makes it all worth it! Wow, I didn’t even see that one coming at all!

I think Under the Never Sky is one of the best YA dystopias I’ve read and I highly recommend it! If you like thrilling, intense, sweeping, dramatic dystopias filled with action and a bit of romance then trust me, you definitely want this incredible read on your shelf!! This is a brilliant debut by Veronica Rossi and I am simply dying to read the sequel!! ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world brimming with harshness and beauty.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible