Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

1,1921646,725 (4.04)36
Member:Lumekatti
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:Harper Collins USA (2012), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2012, YA, post-apocalypse, Romance

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (161)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (164)
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms.

“A world of nevers under a never sky.”
Under the Never Sky was difficult to get into at first. It was full of different concepts and ideas that I’ve never heard in my life, and they were used frequently. I guess the author didn’t want to fall into the “show-instead-of-tell” fiasco, but I guess in this situation, it was needed.

Nevertheless, once I got past the 20% mark, I found myself quickly immersed in the world that Veronica Rossi created.

This book tells two stories: Aria and Perry’s. Aria lives a “sheltered” life on board the pod, Reverie, where everything is “Better than Real”. Her paths cross with Perry, a savage who lives in a world beyond the walls of the Pod; a world called “The Death Shop”. They both have to rely on each other to get what they want, even if at first they can’t stand each other. When Aria and Perry have to trust each other to survive, they realize that the “other side” isn’t as bad as they had thought. But, when enemies threaten Aria and Perry, they find out that everything is not what it seems on board of the Reverie.

The world-building in this book reminded me a lot of Across the Universe, because of the fact that they’re both set in “space”.

(This gif has nothing to do with this review... but I felt like posting it anyways)
But… I didn’t feel like it was so complex… other than the weird names and concepts. The world building was easy to grasp, even if at first it was completely different than what you’re used to.

Anyways, other than the world building, I really enjoyed all the characters. Each character had a story to tell and a personality to add. My favorite character was definitely Roar. He’s so funny and charming. Roar never failed to bring a smile to my face. Perry was also an amazing character; he was so complex. I couldn’t relate much to Aria, because I found myself anticipating Perry’s POV’s more.

This book is mostly romance set in a dystopian world. If you came looking for a genuine dystopian novel, then maybe this isn’t the story for you. Like many “dystopian” books such as Matched, and Delirium, this book has a prevailing romantic theme. The romance here is actually very nice. I loved how Aria and Perry were at first fighting against their feelings for each other and thinking of how “wrong” those feelings were. The romance is slow building, but it just seems right for the story.
They reached for each other then like some force had pulled their hands together. Aria looked at their fingers as they laced together, bringing her the sensation of his touch. Of warmth and calluses. Soft and hard together. She absorbed the terror and beauty of him and his worlds. […] All of it, filling her up like the first breath she’d ever taken.
Overall, Under the Never Sky was a good start to the series, and, if you’re looking for a good romance, you will not be disappointed.

Rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
A great sci-fi YA romance novel. It doesn't center purely around the couple's relationship but it's also about the other characters like Roar, Vale, and Talon. There are other plot lines of action and intrigue. Love, love, this book. I'm starting the next right now.

To see my full review of this novel, go to my blog here: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/07/under-never-sky-by-veronica-ros... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
As far as Aria is concerned, her world in her pod is all she knows. When she unexpectedly lands in the outside world (without protection from the aether) she is sure she will die immediately. When she doesn’t, she finds there are savages who live on the outside and ends up realizing that she has a common goal with one of them and they embark on a journey together (even though they really don’t like each other). There are a couple reasons why this book is different than other dystopian YA trilogies. This takes place in a far enough future that you don’t hear much about the collapse of the world. It also focuses a lot on the relationships between the characters and not so much a war or the setting (which could be coming in the rest of the trilogy). There is a bit of a fantastical side to this story with some of the characters adapting to the new world and having a heightened senses or other abilities (I wouldn’t consider them powers, but one step above current humans). If any of these sound interesting, I would recommend this book. Although I do have to say the writing felt very YA, and when reading it next to actual adult books the difference was very noticeable, so if that kind of thing bothers you, I’d steer clear.

For a more personalized and indepth review see my blog: http://explanniefyfed.blogspot.com/2015/04/audio-book-review-under-never-sky-by.... ( )
  afyfe | Apr 8, 2015 |
Loved it! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
LOVED this book!Couldn't put it down! ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,979,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible