All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle…

All These Things I've Done (edition 2011)

by Gabrielle Zevin

Member:sensitivemuse
Title:All These Things I've Done
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin
Info:FSG Kids (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Did not finish. Was not for me. Personal pet peeve: audio book narrator was mispronouncing all the Russian words.
  WeaselOfDoom | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book takes place in a future New York, where caffeine and chocolate are illegal. Anya is the daughter of a murdered mob boss. She struggles with full filling this role or that of a good catholic girl.
The one redeeming value of the book is the author's portrayal of family.The book starts out hopeful but by the end I'm sick of what the main character Anya's father would have said. I feel that the author should have expanded on plots she cut short and should have cut short others. I have no intention of reading the second. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Mar 13, 2014 |
All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin is the first of a YA trilogy involving organized crime, a prohibition on chocolate and coffee, and a Romeo and Juliet style relationship between the daughter and son of competing crime families.

The book is set in New York in 2083 and it's trying to evoke a combination of the Jazz Era (speakeasies, jazz and the like) and the big hair and cynicism of Generation X. For the dystopian / Dickensian city setting, there is also the ailing grandmother, recently dead father and special needs brother.

The problem is, all these competing tropes get in the way of a rather decent premise — what would happen if caffeine were illegal. And a rather decent murder mystery — who poisoned the chocolate and why? ( )
  pussreboots | Mar 1, 2014 |
I've had this book in my possession since 2012 BEA. After contemplating my TBR pile, I picked up All These Things I've Done and so glad I did! Gabrielle Zevin has written a wonderfully unique story about the prohibition of chocolate and coffee. The relationships in this are real and meaningful. Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  kissedbyink | Nov 19, 2013 |
I remember really enjoying this one. I was like chocolate is banned? Count me in! What girl wouldn't like this book, it was a fun read that had a very interesting and different plot and the ending left you wanting the next book. I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  alexis909 | Oct 5, 2013 |

In a future where chocolate and caffeine are contraband, teenage cellphone use is illegal, and water and paper are carefully rationed, sixteen-year-old Anya Balanchine finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight as heir apparent to an important New York City crime family.… (more)

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,361,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible