All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle…

All These Things I've Done (edition 2011)

by Gabrielle Zevin

Member:sensitivemuse
Title:All These Things I've Done
Authors:Gabrielle Zevin
Info:FSG Kids (2011), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

I don't know what to say other than I REALLY enjoyed this book. I've read it more than once and cannot get enough of it. The setting was great and the character development was just fantastic! Can you imagine living in a world where chocolate has become illegal? Where water and paper is rationed? I know I wouldn't be able to live without taking a bite.

It's not all the time that I like the main character, but with Anya, I felt a connection. Now, I'm not the type to get in trouble, but what she went through made her tough and I felt that. I felt just how tough she was in that connection. It made her independent in certain ways and I loved that about her! She's daring and goes to great lengths to protect herself.. and her family.

A story I really couldn't put down! ( )
  SirenRemi | Jan 28, 2015 |
This is a great book almost ruined by religion. Sixteen year old Anya Pavlova Balanchine is the second oldest orphan child of the don in a crime syndicate Family which revolves around the production of illegal chocolate in a dystopian 2083 New York City. The culture no longer produces anything but laws. There's a midnight curfew for teenagers, and a limitation on almost all goods including water and paper. All the fountains have been drained of water, all books are digital except for the very wealthy, Central Park is pretty much a wasteland, Ellis Island is a juvenile detention facility, and museums are being used for speakeasies for illegal coffee. Anya's grandmother lives with the family but is being kept alive by strange machines - not a ventilator because she can talk. I can only think she must have some kind of mechanical heart and kidney or liver contraption. Anya's 19 year old brother should be the head of the family, if not the Family, but he suffered a brain injury in the hit that killed their mother so now has the intelligence and emotions of an eight year old. All this is fascinating. Then we get to the part that just doesn't click. I feel the same kind of off kilter response to this book that I did to her The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry. They're both great stories that don't quite ring true.
Anya and her twelve year old sister Nataliya (Russian mafia obviously) attend the best private school in the city, Trinity, which is Catholic. Anya buys into all the catholic nonsense especially thinking she will go to hell if she has premarital sex. This is 2083 and there's still an absolute premium on virginity. I don't think so.
So I loved the books for Anya's intelligence and felt let down by her heavy reliance on superstition, which I guess is a mafia attitude, so maybe not as contradictory as it seems.
Anyway, I know big things are coming for Anya, and I plan to read about them in the following books. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Dec 29, 2014 |
I started to listen to this as an audiobook and really couldn't get into it, so I picked it up in print to try it that way too. I liked it more this way. I liked a world where chocolate was contraband. I liked the relationships between Anya and her family members. However, she never really came together as a character I cared about. I lost interest and didn't finish it. I wanted to like it but just couldn't. ( )
  readerspeak | Dec 8, 2014 |
I absolutely adored this book! It was very hard for me to put this book down and go about doing things I needed to get done. This story was beautiful, sad, funny, and refreshing. It was a change from other YA novels I have read recently. I am hoping that the author is going to continue this story. I fell in love with these characters and I am not ready for this story to be over. Gabrielle Zevin is on my MUST READ list for authors now. I will DEFINITELY read her other books. ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |

In a future where chocolate and caffeine are contraband, teenage cellphone use is illegal, and water and paper are carefully rationed, sixteen-year-old Anya Balanchine finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight as heir apparent to an important New York City crime family.… (more)

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,468,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible