Are You Dave Gorman? (2001)

by Dave Gorman

5871429,893 (4)9
After a heavy night of tequila, flatmates Dave and Danny set off on what turns out to be a 24,000-mile journey to meet all the other Dave Gormans in the world. They visit Scotland, Israel, America, France and Ireland. They even hold a party in London where 50 Dave Goffilans attend, including two women who have kindly changed their name via deed-poll. Silly, but engrossing, fascinating and addictive - and a touching story of two friends who grow to share a mutual obsession.'You'll like this so much you may want to change your name to Dave Gorman' The Big Issue.… (more)

Brilliant concept for a book, superbly executed. Put Gorman firmly on the map. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I am not Dave Gorman but I enjoyed the humorous antics of Dave Gorman and his mate Danny Wallace as they travelled the world searching for Dave Gormans. You wouldn't think there would be heaps of people out there named Dave Gorman but Dave manages to meet 50-odd namesakes by the book's conclusion (and all up he met around 70 other Dave Gorman's).

Lots of fairly humorous situations abound in "Are you Dave Gorman?" but you get the feeling that had the book gone on any longer it would have dragged (Gorman's post "Are you Dave Gorman?" writing career has seen him struggle to say anything funny at all). Instead, if you like "Are you Dave Gorman?", hunt down some Danny Wallace books instead. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Nov 6, 2018 |
what promised to be funny only had surprisingly many thoughtful ponderings ( )
  borhap | Aug 27, 2013 |
(11 October 2001)

As I may have mentioned in my original post about this Month of Re-Reading, I chose a few representative books for this month to see if they were actually worth the re-read. This one, the Joanna Trollope (which I haven’t got to yet) and the Molly Moynahan (which I might well not get to at all) fall into this category. I have quite a few “quest” books on my shelf, you know, the kind of book that starts with a daft bet and then tells the story of what happened next. Once you know who won the bet, is it worth keeping for a future re-read? Well, the answer as regards this one, which will stand for and thus protect all the others, is a resounding “Yes”.

I hadn’t read this at all since the original purchase and read back in 2001 (a few days after I got together with M – I dimly remember buying stacks of books at the Books Etc. near his flat), and it’s still fresh and funny, as well as endearing. In fact, it’s probably more sweet and endearing than I remember, being very much about Dave and Danny’s friendship. This friendship, and Danny’s relationship with his girlfriend, is put to the test as they embark upon an almost accidental search for people called Dave Gorman. Having two writers alternating sections works well and allows for very funny double-aspect descriptions of the same events at times, although avoids being repetitive, and there’s a palpable sense of the friendship and people behind the humour, which makes it more of a satisfying read than just whizzing through to see if they achieve their target. I like the epilogue, which updates us on various developments and appearances of badges and t-shirts in different TV programmes. This actually made me want to go and re-read other quest and travel books in my collection. ( )
1 vote LyzzyBee | Aug 3, 2013 |
A lot of laugh-out-loud moments, but an overall impression of 'these guys are a pair of complete kids'. Grown men, who order hot dogs when they visit Italy and who get take-away omelettes. Take-away omelettes. I mean, seriously? I didn't know you could even do that. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Jan 1, 2012 |
[None]
[None]
Hello. My name's Dave Gorman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,624,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible