UnWholly (Unwind) by Neal Shusterman

UnWholly (Unwind) (edition 2012)

by Neal Shusterman

Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:YA
Tags:YA, Lexile 800s, (860), dystopian

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman

Ok, so we had to wait years for a sequel, but this book is well worth the wait! The laws have changed a bit and 17 year olds can no longer be unwound, but unwinding is still very prevalent and teens continue to run from unwinding orders and hide in the Graveyard. The advertisements that are pro-unwinding have increased and we learn there are some new and ghastly experiments being done with unwound parts.

Shusterman continues to use the multi-character point-of-view masterfully. We follow some of our favorite characters from Unwind and we get to meet several new characters who have both good and very bad intentions. In this book we learn more about the world that caused unwinding to be an accepted way of life and we also see how advertisements and the media greatly effect people accepting unwinding. An amazing story that is not for young readers. I only hope we don't have to wait as many years for the conclusion to this series. ( )

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I love to start a book review with this word: WOW! I finished the first in the series, Unwind, and went straight to this one. It did not let me down.

The characters from the first are in this one, with a few new faces. The action is fast, furious, complete and extremely suspenseful. I loved the new characters, even the ones I loved to hate. I am anxious to see what happens in the last of the series.

Some favorite passages:

"And why? Because of words? Words don't hurt you. " Which is one of the hugest criminal lies perpetrated by adults against children in this world. Because words hurt more than any physical pain.

History is written by the victors - and when there are no victors, it all winds up in corporate shredders.

He remembers feeling so sick for so long, after a while he had forgotten what being well even felt like. Could it be that way for an entire society? Does a sick society get so used to its illness that it can't remember being well? What if the memory is too dangerous for the people who like things the way they are?

High recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised to find Shusterman turned Unwind into a series. The first book was good enough to stand alone, but the sequel really drives the question of the value of human life. Is one truly worth more than another and who gets to decide? As black market organs become more and more available, could a future like the one in this series, be far off? ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
For Charlotte Ruth Shusterman
Love you, Mom
He's fighting a nightmare when they come for him.

"Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa, and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens and, in the same stroke, providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but expand, allowing the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished. Cam is a teen who does not exist. He is made entirely out of the parts of other unwinds. Cam, a 21st century Frankenstein, struggles with a search for identity and meaning, as well as the concept of his own soul, if indeed a rewound being can have one. When a sadistic bounty hunter who takes "trophies" from the unwinds he captures starts to pursue Connor, Risa and Lev, Cam finds his fate inextricably bound with theirs"--… (more)

258 wanted4 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,136,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible