UnWholly (Unwind) by Neal Shusterman

UnWholly (Unwind) (edition 2012)

by Neal Shusterman

Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:YA
Tags:YA, Lexile 800s, (860), dystopian

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman

Unwholly, by Neil Shusterman, is the second in the Unwind dystology. In Unwind two clappers blew up Happy Jack Harvest Camp. The characters are Lev, a clapper that did not blow up, Risa, who was paralyzed after the clapper incident, and Connor whose arm had gotten blown off in the clapper terrorist incident. In this book new arrivals at the graveyard are Starky and Lev who you see is saving tithes. Lev is invited to stay at a house where they rescue tithes and these are where the new tithes are transported to. Resa turns herself in after going to a hospital and trying to save an “Unwind” Also we learn of a new human made of completely “Unwind parts” after a plane crash that kills many Cam and Lev search for the creator of” Unwind” who admits his plan was to provide body parts and not unwind teens. They all want to see it come to an end.

What I like about this book is it is fascinating and keeps me on my toes. I cannot put it down. It also makes reference to some of my favorite movies such as “Lord of the Rings”. It develops the characters well and does not break up their stories like other books. I think this is a great book for teens my age that like action, humor, mystery, suspense and even a little horror. The climax is well written and the book sets you up want to read the third book in the series, which I will definitely read. I have a feeling that the rest of this book series will be a blast and completely thrilling! ( )
  ethand.G1 | Jan 18, 2017 |
This cover is awesomely creepy! The book is really creepy and good too! I am very anxious to read the next one. I also love his Skinjacker books, and the Antsy series. ( )
  searscho | Jan 5, 2017 |
Disturbing, chilling, dark, and sickly dystopian, Unwholly is a tour de force. This is the second book in the Unwind series, and Shusterman is superb!

Captivating but broken characters carry the plot along. Unwholly is set in the not so distant future where medicine can cure just about anything. Parents who can no longer “parent” turn to a system that can take their errant teen off their hands. The kids get shipped off to a facility where they are unwound, or basically taken apart and sold for parts. One arm here, one eye there, one spinal cord over there. Of course, the parents think they’re doing the right thing—allowing their broken teen to live on in many other people. Imagine, a blind boy getting new eyes, a cripple walking, a car accident victim given another limb. What a great program, the parents think.

Some teens are able to escape and form a resistance movement. Led by the Akron AWOL, or Connor Lassiter, the teens live in the Phoenix desert holed up in an airplane graveyard. Connor is getting nervous. He knows the Juvies, sadist cops who turn in Unwinds, know about the graveyard and know that there are hundreds of kids living there. Why aren’t they making a move, Connor wonders. Why are they leaving us alone, he asks. When he finds out there’s a traitor in his own camp, he realizes that the kids may have to make a run for it.

Risa, Connor’s sometime girlfriend, is captured and becomes the face of Proactive Citizenry—the organization responsible for thousands of teens’ unwindings. Not only that, Proactive Citizenry has a new project on its hands—it’s produced the very first artificially developed human Camus. Camus is a scientific and genetic miracle to behold. He is made from over 100 different Unwinds and was developed to show the public what the future holds. Cam falls in love with Risa but she turns on him; he promises he will never let her go; he will search for her forever.

The camp is compromised and the kids are in for a huge fight. Just when Connor and Lev think it’s over, they see the milk of human kindness. Unwholly sets up nicely for book 3—where some important questions will be answered and the plot will UNWIND (pun definitely intended).

Shusterman belongs in the ranks of sci-fi giants George Orwell and Ray Bradbury. Unwholly is wholly great! I raced through this book, and teens will, too. Don’t pick this one up unless you’re ready to stay up until the wee hours.

Highly, highly recommended grades 7-up. No sex. One g-word.
FTC Required Disclaimer: I purchased this book for my library. I did not receive monetary compensation for this review.
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
OPINION: Neal Shustermans sequel to UnWind was absolutely FLAWLESS!!! I thought UnWind was going to be the best book I would ever read and I stand so corrected this definitely is. This book was SO creepy at times but it just made it more intriguing. My favorite character in this book was Campus Comprix/ Cam he was SO hilarious even though he wasn't exactly 100 percent HUMAN but he sure was funny. I was very sad when the graveyard was raided but happy the parts pirate/ Nelson was left in a ditch after being tranq'd. I was happy Miracolina finally came around to hanging out with Lev and that her parents never signed her tithing sheet. This was probably the best book ever but who knows I'm still reading the series!

SUMMARY: The first thing that happens I this story is a girl named Miracolina is ready to be tithed and is trying to rest when an annoying boy is nervous about his tithing and keeps talking. They get theyre van hijacked and kidnapped. It turns out they are really rescued but that's not what Miracolina wants. Cam is a human created completey by unwinds and tithes people despise him at first but he meets Risa and they fall in love. Miracolina is rescued by Lev and a giant group but Lev and Miracolina escape together. They get kidnapped by a parts pirate and eventually escape. They make it to the graveyard to see it gtting run over by juvey cops and all the storks being selfish and only storks escaping everyone else is rounded up or killed. Lev and Connor escape together and Miracolina is safe at home he because her parents never signed a tithe form. ( )
  JacobS.BG3 | Dec 27, 2016 |
I love this trilogy so far. It is twisted at times, exciting, and captivating. I can't wait to read #3. ( )
  karconner | Jul 5, 2016 |
For Charlotte Ruth Shusterman
Love you, Mom
He's fighting a nightmare when they come for him.

"Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa, and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens and, in the same stroke, providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but expand, allowing the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished. Cam is a teen who does not exist. He is made entirely out of the parts of other unwinds. Cam, a 21st century Frankenstein, struggles with a search for identity and meaning, as well as the concept of his own soul, if indeed a rewound being can have one. When a sadistic bounty hunter who takes "trophies" from the unwinds he captures starts to pursue Connor, Risa and Lev, Cam finds his fate inextricably bound with theirs"--… (more)

234 wanted4 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,488,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible