UnWholly (Unwind) by Neal Shusterman

UnWholly (Unwind) (edition 2012)

by Neal Shusterman

Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:YA
Tags:YA, Lexile 800s, (860), dystopian

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman

This book has a lot of information that the first book of this series does not tell. So if you read the first one, then I encourage you to read on! 5Q5P The cover art is awesome and I'd recommend this for high school students and adults. I chose to read this book because I read the first book in the series and just had to read this one too. EthanS
  edspicer | Jun 30, 2014 |
One of the things I loved about Unwind was that the ending was so satisfying. Not everything was wrapped up in a neat little bow, but the world would have been just fine without a sequel, which made me hesitant to pick this book up. However, I’m too curious not to read such a book. For the most part, Unwholly lived up to my expectations. Lev is still one of the most interesting literary characters I’ve ever read, which was one of my main concerns going into this book.

Here is what I really loved about Unwholly:

More back story on the Heartland War and how the Unwind amendment could be approved so quickly.

The same emotional complexity that was found in Unwind.

The “bigger picture” this book takes with science and corporations. I think adding in this corporate element made the world of Unwholly more believable.

The story line about the oppressed storks(there were parts of this that I didn’t exactly like, but on the whole I think the idea of adding it is a good one–once again adds more depth to all the factors that come into play in real life)

The plot lines(yes, the multiple ones). As frustrating as it can be at times to juggle so many stories and characters, I appreciate how complex the situations presented in this book are. That’s how real life normally works too–not just a linear cause and effect but several factors normally go in to causing something.

High stakes. The stakes in Unwind were personally high for the characters I came to cherish, but in Unwholly, we get to see just how many lives are in danger.

Most of the new characters. As much as I loved Risa, Connor, and Lev, I’m once again reminded that there are other desperate people in the world of Unwind.

The addition of a character made completely out of Unwinds. Horrifying, creepy, and raises interesting questions.

The few things I wasn’t so fond of:

The character of Starkey. Shusterman is so good at making all his characters believable, but I just could not follow Starkey’s one-track motive. He never questions or doubts his decisions, and I find this hard to swallow from an author who at times made Roland more than just a stand-in villain and let you inside the minds of people who really thought they what they were doing was for the best.

While I loved the changing points of view in the first book, every once in a while a view seemed out of place in this book. Not enough to make me frustrated, but it did distract from the story some.

Final Impression: It would be hard for Unwholly to live up to my standard that was set by Unwind, but it does not disappoint. It’s not the near-perfect work I consider Unwind to be, but it’s very, very close, and more than a worthwhile read. 4/5 stars.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 2 stars
Style: 1 stars
Pace: 1 1/2 stars

I slogged through this one. If I weren't in the middle of trying to cram a bunch of books into this month, I wouldn't have even finished this one. The constant POV shifts, the "and they laughed, not knowing danger was in the car behind them" sort of cliche, trite junk. I'm disappointed. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
If you like action, this is definitely a book you should try. 5Q5P I chose this book because the cover was awesome and I read the first one, which was really good also. CalvinK
  edspicer | May 29, 2014 |
Review first appeared on fefferbooks.com.

UnWholly, like most middle series novels, felt a good deal slower in pace than [b:Unwind|764347|Unwind (Unwind, #1)|Neal Shusterman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1297677706s/764347.jpg|750423], because there was so much more exposition happening. Connor, Risa, and Lev’s stories are developing, but a lot of things are setting up for the next book. The introduction of Cam, though, made things interesting and fresh. The longer we know him, the more we like him, and yet, the more disturbing the very idea of him becomes. Shusterman continues to challenge readers with moral and philosophical questions about life, death, and the soul. He also pushes them to think through the kinds of things they’re hearing from the media; perceptive readers will see the fallacies in the arguments as they’re presented, and yet, it’s hard not to see some of the logic in them, as well. My hope, as an adult reader, is that younger readers will be able to pick up on the way truths can be twisted to meet specific ends, and apply that as a filter throughout the rest of their lives. I loved how Shusterman was able to slip that teaching moment in, here (and in the next book, as well).

The writing, while a touch slower here, was consistently excellent. Again, a couple of low-grade swear words. 4 stars. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
For Charlotte Ruth Shusterman
Love you, Mom
He's fighting a nightmare when they come for him.

"Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa, and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens and, in the same stroke, providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but expand, allowing the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished. Cam is a teen who does not exist. He is made entirely out of the parts of other unwinds. Cam, a 21st century Frankenstein, struggles with a search for identity and meaning, as well as the concept of his own soul, if indeed a rewound being can have one. When a sadistic bounty hunter who takes "trophies" from the unwinds he captures starts to pursue Connor, Risa and Lev, Cam finds his fate inextricably bound with theirs"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,502,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible