Long Time, No See by Dermot Healy

Long Time, No See (edition 2012)

by Dermot Healy

Member:ABookGeek
Title:Long Time, No See
Authors:Dermot Healy
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Irish Lit, To read

Long time, no see by Dermot Healy

Simply lovely. And funny! So Irish. So good. Read it. ( )
  Clare.Davitt | Aug 5, 2013 |
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.

The story, set in a coastal town in Ireland, revolves around the everyday life of a cast of characters. The protagonist is Philip Feeney, aka Mr. Psyche, a young man who survived a car accident that killed his friend. He spends most of time with his granduncle Joejoe and his friend Blackbird, both of whom are much older than Philip. There are many adventures that involve many people, some from the town and some who are just traveling through. But I believed in all of it. The writing is sometimes sparse but always lyrical. I agree with Roddy Doyle, who called Dermot Healy "Ireland's finest living novelist." ( )
  ravensfan | Jan 30, 2013 |
Basically, this book is too long for what it is. Parts I liked but I kept expecting it to go somewhere and it never did. But, it was charming enough that I finished it. ( )
  ccayne | Oct 2, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Long Time, No See by Dermot Healy seems to be the story of a teenage boy's life, in all the mundane detail: his eccentric great-uncle, the errands he runs for the neighbours, his sort-of girlfriend. It's an Early Reviewer book and many of the other reviews say that after a slow start it picks up and starts to draw you in. I gave it 150 pages and it had not done so. ( )
  wandering_star | Aug 14, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book took me a little time to get into. I kept thinking, "I'll give it 100 pages", and I'm glad I did because slowly I found myself being immersed in the world of Psyche (or Philip as he properly known). The book is mainly dialogue, but you can feel the irishness oozing out of the writing. The story is touching, yet funny at times, and the characters were brilliantly written. Quite emotional really. ( )
  Fluffyblue | May 30, 2011 |

In the isolated coastal townland of Ballintra in the Northwest of Ireland, recent school-leaver, occasional worker, full-time companion and Malibu-provider to Uncle Joe-Joe and his friend The Blackbird, Psyche is a boy on the cusp of adulthood, undone by a recent traumatic event. Hanging out with men some forty-plus years his senior proves hazardous for Mister Psyche when the appearance of a bullet hole in Uncle Joe-Joe's window draws him into a series of (mis)-adventures which unsettle and bemuse.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Long Time, No See by Dermot Healy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,089,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible