Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane) by…

Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane) (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Christopher Brookmyre (Author)

Series: Jack Parlabane (1)

Jack Parlabane is a journalist who finds himself involved with a number of characters including a hitman from Essex, a gambling medic, now dead, his ex-wife, and a female detective constable with attitude. His job is to expose the dealings of a crooked hospital trust administrator, Stephen Lime.
Member:Stacyleanne12
Title:Quite Ugly One Morning (Jack Parlabane)
Authors:Christopher Brookmyre (Author)
Info:Abacus (1997), Edition: New Ed, 220 pages

Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre (1996)

Recently added bydgbdgb, private library, Sian_Bradshaw, Bookish59, fearon, mccheynes, zardox, LudicDespair
    Divorcing Jack by Colin Bateman (Aula)
    Aula: Both series are fast-paced, with sarcastic and snappy dialogue; both authors portray (journalist) protagonists with real character (and quite a bit of violence).

I enjoyed (most of) the humour in this book, but struggled with all the Scottish vocabulary/slang. The introduction perhaps set me up for noticing this, but it was a bit of an 'issue novel', with heavy-handed references to the tragic state of the NHS. Then the tone in other places was quite coarse, and the villains verging on the cartoonish. I liked Jack and Sarah and their police officer pal Jenny, but I think I'll wait before reading the next in the series. ( )
  pgchuis | Jul 27, 2020 |
Warning. This review might offend easily offended people.

This is the book where Brookmyre has a graphic description of a turd early on, which I thought was rather unnecessary, but what would I know? More people read his books than my reviews. For now, anyway.

So, last night while partaking of tea at the Windsor, suddenly at 10pm my brother Bernard calls home. ‘Has she done it yet?’ They’ve just had a kitten, you see, called Socks and they are waiting for her to do her first poo. Not so much her first poo, to be accurate. But her first poo in the kitty litter. So far she’s been pooing in places the humans would prefer to have to themselves. The bath, the sofa. Indeed, very much the sort of places Brookmyre might lay one.

In this particular book somebody manages to shit on top of the mantelpiece. Nice.

Well, if it works for Brookmyre, maybe something scatalogical might work for me. So, please, ladies and gentlemen, might I present for your edification, Socks’ very first kitty litter poo, produced early this morning and photographed by her proud parents, there to catch the moment.

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Seldom I find a mystery story laced with so much wit and humour, as well as some truly disgusting scenes, as this one - the scenes where we see the hired killer in action are very funny in a black humour sort of narration, and somehow it reminded me of the two kidnappers in "Fargo" - tragicomic to say the least!
The story is full of twists and turns, there's some interesting swearing terms (probably quite common in Scotland) that had me laughing out loud or grinning, depending on where I was at the moment, and the end is a good one too. What's not to love here? It is what I would call an "instant satisfaction" book, quick and easy to read and won't have you bored, guaranteed! ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
Cercavo un romanzo da leggere in fretta, che mi catturasse e che mi tenesse una piacevole compagnia per qualche giorno. Trovato.
Chiaro, non è un capolavoro della letteratura contemporanea, ma si lascia leggere con piacere.
Narrato a più voci, non il classico giallo in cui scoprire lentamente chi sia l'assassino. E non è nemmeno troppo difficile intuire come andrà a finire, ma insomma, francamente non chiedevo di più. Anzi, cercherò il seguito.
Diciamo 3 stelle e mezza. ( )
  silvia.amaturo | Mar 21, 2020 |
This was a reasonably amusing quick read, but let down by a few key elements. Firstly the female dialogue was quite clunky and stretched credibility a little. Secondly, even allowing a little license for this not being a wholly serious procedural, the tying up of loose ends in the final quarter was a little predictable and unsatisfying.

In its favour there were quite a few entertaining sections, particularly in the first half of the book where the narrative felt less constrained.

This was a book that started out as a low 4 and gradually talked itself out of a star. ( )
  Sam.Prince | May 7, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For M
'Jesus fuck.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,800,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible