The Submission by Amy Waldman

The Submission (2011)

by Amy Waldman

643None15,010 (3.75)72
2011 (6) 2012 (12) 2013 (5) 21st century (4) 9/11 (55) 9/11 memorial (9) adult (5) American literature (5) architecture (13) book club (7) contemporary (4) ebook (7) fiction (102) Islam (27) Kindle (8) memorial (7) Muslim (6) Muslims (12) New York (21) New York City (19) novel (10) politics (13) prejudice (11) read (5) read in 2012 (8) religion (10) terrorism (15) to-read (44) unread (4) USA (9)

English (41)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (44)
Struggling to review this, but it certainly makes you think... deeply and at length. Certainly one of the best books of the last few years and a brilliant achievement for a debut novel. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |
Not my favorite. Required reading for RA class. Good book for book discussion.
  dejoeliz | Nov 4, 2013 |
Read from September 08 to 12, 2013

So many thoughts about this one. On one hand it's a great book -- I was invested in what happened. But at the same time, the topic is almost TOO current and TOO raw.

Waldman did a wonderful job of presenting many different perspectives and opinions believably. There were a few that seemed as if they were caricatures. Just too over -the-top, but at the same time it's possible I just hope people like that don't exist.

My copy is filled with notes and underlined passages...a fantastic book for discussion. ( )
  melissarochelle | Sep 16, 2013 |
This drew me right in with it's subject. I really enjoyed the story, the characters and the subject. I felt Waldman did an amazing job of making the story realistic. While I didnt like most of them they were well developed and had an interesting part to play in the story. I was divided when I finished the story. Well crafted and a great and timely read. ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
I read this simply because an honors course at my university is using it as a text for a class on the significance of memorials. I very much enjoyed all the different point of view Waldman explored--the architect who submitted the winning design, the head of the memorial jury, the widow who was to represent the family's interests on the jury, and the undocumented widow whose undocumented husband was killed in the attacks. I would have enjoyed more about the politician's involvement as this was mentioned but not fully explored. The tug and pull of all the different groups and their interplay was interesting. I think the students who take this course will enjoy this book. I did. ( )
  mojomomma | Aug 7, 2013 |
While there is no shortage of American writers who bemoan all that has been done to their nation, by their nation, in the name of 9/11, there has been, until now, a dearth of American novels exploring that particular trajectory (there is a dearth of American novelists exploring what has been done to other nations by their nation, too, but that's another matter). There are, of course, various ideas about why this is so. One of them is this: how do you take the trauma and grief of 9/11 as the starting point of a novel and move on to a tale of suspended civil liberties and prejudice without the former entirely overshadowing the latter? Waldman takes hold of this potential stumbling block and turns it into the bedrock of her novel. The grief surrounding 9/11 – the forms it takes, the claims it makes, the claims made in its name by third parties, the hierarchy which surrounds it (not all griefs are equal), the guilt and anger which are born from it, the gulf between the silence of private grief and the clamour of public grief – is central to this exceptional debut about a changing America.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Guardian, Kamila Shamsie (Aug 27, 2011)

“The Submission” is set not in 2010 but in 2003, and concerns not a mosque but a 9/11 memorial. A jury, assembled by the state’s governor, has spent months reviewing architects’ anonymous submissions for a monument to be built on the site of the tragedy. Finally, a winner is selected: the design is called “The Garden” (in contrast with the other finalist, “The Void”), and its detractors can fault it only for being “too beautiful.” But once the choice is settled and a name attached to the blueprints, the jury discovers, to its alarm, that the architect is a Muslim named Mohammad Khan.

Elegantly written and tightly plotted, “The Submission” ultimately remains a novel about the unfolding of a dramatic situation — a historian’s novel — rather than a novel that explores the human condition with any profundity. And yet in these unnerving times, in which Waldman has seen facts take the shape of her fiction, a historian’s novel at once lucid, illuminating and entertaining is a necessary and valuable gift.
added by kidzdoc | editNew York Times, Claire Messud (Aug 21, 2011)

Like the cypress tree, which holds its head high and is free within the confines of a garden, I, too, feel free in this world, and I am not bound by its attachments.
To my parents, Don and Marilyn Waldman
"The names," Claire said. "What about the names?"
"Didn't you listen to her speech? She was saying terrorists shouldn't count more than people like her husband. But your questions - the suspicions they contain - make them count more. You assume we all must think like them unless we prove otherwise."

Ten years after the events of September 11, 2011, Claire Burwell a member on a jury that gathered to anonymously appoint the architect for a memorial, is confronted with public outrage when the media leaks that the winner is an American Muslim and is forced to face journalists, activists, and politicians while trying to find the best way to remember and understand the national tragedy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374271569, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2011: Amy Waldman has performed a rare and dangerous feat in writing an airtight, multi-viewed, highly readable post-9/11 novel. When a Muslim architect wins a blind contest to design a Ground Zero Memorial, a city of eleven million people takes notice. Waldman, a former bureau chief for the New York Times, explores a diversity of viewpoints around this fictional event, bringing in politicians, businessmen, journalists, activists, and normal people whose lives--whether by happenstance, choice, or even due to their country of origin--get caught up in the controversy. Incredibly, she manages to keep all the balls in the air without ever fumbling. The story is moving and keeps the pages turning, but there are also bigger themes at work: of individuals versus groups; about the purpose of art, commerce, government, and journalism in society; of how people respond to grief and terror. The result is honest, compelling, and breathtaking.--Chris Schluep

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:03 -0400)

Selected for a jury that must choose an appropriate memorial for September 11 victims, Claire Harwell struggles to navigate a media firestorm when the winning designer is revealed as an enigmatic Muslim-American.

579 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,442,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible