All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir by…

All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ashley Judd, Maryanne Vollers, Nicholas D. Kristof (Foreword)

Member:avidreader
Title:All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
Authors:Ashley Judd
Other authors:Maryanne Vollers, Nicholas D. Kristof (Foreword)
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, Memoirs

All that is bitter & sweet : a memoir by Ashley Judd (2011)

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine (arielfl)
    arielfl: The Blue Notebook is a fictionalized account of the child sex slave trade that Ashley is fighting against.

Ugh. I went into this liking Ashley Judd a lot - I came out much less enthused. At one point in her book, Judd tells Bobby Shriver that her vocation is to make her life an act of worship - I'm sorry to say that she has succeeded in worshiping herself. I have never read a biography that was more full of self-love than this one. She is the supreme example of a person who pursues a life of "doing good" in order to be thought a saint.

Walk away very fast. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

Walk away very fast. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
All That is Bitter and Sweet is very educational about HIV/AIDS, global poverty, and the lack of rights for women and girls in Congo and India. Ashley Judd has done much to improve these women's lives. Ashley's memories are stark and clear. Her experience and knowledge of the disempowered women and girls in the global south are vast. I had some trouble finding her some times selfless yet sometimes very self absorbed, even boarding on being narcissistic. The organizations listed at the end of this book make for a deep resource list for more information on a multitude of charities and helping organizations. The information she provides is vastly more important than any mixed feelings I had about her personality. No doubt, she has gone and done what few are able and willing to do. ( )
  stillwaters12 | Jul 27, 2011 |
I think Ashley wrote about her own family so people would buy the book because had she written a book just about the horrors women in third world countries face not many would be read. The bits about her family were a way to give voice to the real message she wanted to bring to light. Much of this book was hard to read and just broke my heart. I came away with 1) famous, rich people can have just as screwed up life as anyone else. 2) I need to thank God more often that I was born in America and for the blessings I have. 3) I don't think much of Naomi Judd ( )
  ifnotforbooks | Jul 17, 2011 |
Ashley Judd is an award-winning film and stage actress know for many roles, and the daughter and sister of the legendary country music duo, The Judds. In 2002, she became a humanitrian and advocate for those suffering in neglected parts of the world. Along the way, Ashley realized that the coping strategies she had used all her life to deal with her own emotional pain stemming from childhood abandonment, were no longer effective. Entering into treatment, she discovered recovery as well as herself.

An amazing journey of one woman to find peace within. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jun 30, 2011 |

Ashley Juddprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kristof, Nicholas D.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vollers, Maryannesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552361X, Hardcover)

Ashley Judd is an award-winning film and stage actor known for her roles in both box-office hits and art-house gems, and the daughter and sister of country-music royalty. In 2002, drawing on a deep well of empathy, she found her true calling: as a humanitarian and advocate for those suffering in neglected parts of the world.

Asked why she was opting out of a successful career, walking away while she was one of the highest-paid women in Hollywood, Ashley herself could not provide an answer. She simply knew that after her first trip to the notorious brothels, slums, and hospices of southeast Asia, her own life depended on advocating on behalf of the vulnerable. Promising each new sister, “I will never forget you,” Ashley began writing extraordinary diaries—on which this memoir is based—expanding her capacity to relate to, and to share with a global audience, stories of survival and resilience.

Along the way, Ashley realized that the coping strategies she had developed to deal with her own emotional pain, stemming from childhood abandonment, were no longer working. Seeking in-patient treatment in 2006 for the grief that had nearly killed her, Ashley found not only her own recovery and an enriched faith but an expanded kit of spiritual tools that energized and advanced her feminist social justice work.

Now, in this deeply moving and unforgettable memoir, Ashley Judd describes her odyssey, as a left-behind lost child attains international prominence as a fiercely dedicated advocate. Her story ranges from anger to forgiveness, isolation to interdependence, depression to activism. In telling it, she resoundingly answers the ineffable question about the relationship between healing oneself and service to others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:25 -0400)

Ashley Judd is best known as the acclaimed actress in films such as De Lovely and Double Jeopardy, but these days she is more likely to be found wading through an African refugee camp or Asian brothel than on a film set. For most of the past decade Judd has been visiting human rights hotspots around the world to spread the word of hope, health, and gender equality on behalf of one of the leading public health nonprofits, PSI/YouthAIDS. Her work has put her in the company of Bono, Bill Clinton, and other world leaders in the battle against disease and poverty and in advocating grassroots programs to improve the lives of women and children. Memories of her own painful childhood inspired Judd to reach out to those in desperate need, especially abused and abandoned girls. She writes movingly of friends such as Kausar, an AIDS sufferer in the slums of Mumbai who becomes an activist and peer-educator, and heroes such as Dr. Rene, who lends his heart and soul to keep the sex workers of Madagascar from contracting and spreading HIV. Judd also describes her own personal spiritual journey of discovery that takes place during the interludes between her trips overseas. Through being of service to others, she unlocks the door to her own unsettled past, including an abusive childhood, and later on, her issues with co-dependency and depression. Through the act of bearing witness to others, Judd finds her own path to healing. Her recovery becomes integral to her ability to continue her humanitarian work. It reaffirms what her faith teaches her: "When I change myself I help change the whole world." Judd recorded her experiences both abroad and at home in more than five hundred pages of journal entries, which she has woven into a highly personal and powerful memoir about change, hope, and human transformation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible