All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir by…

All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ashley Judd, Maryanne Vollers, Nicholas D. Kristof (Foreword)

Member:avidreader
Title:All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
Authors:Ashley Judd
Other authors:Maryanne Vollers, Nicholas D. Kristof (Foreword)
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, Memoirs

All that is bitter & sweet : a memoir by Ashley Judd (2011)

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine (arielfl)
    arielfl: The Blue Notebook is a fictionalized account of the child sex slave trade that Ashley is fighting against.

All That is Bitter and Sweet is very educational about HIV/AIDS, global poverty, and the lack of rights for women and girls in Congo and India. Ashley Judd has done much to improve these women's lives. Ashley's memories are stark and clear. Her experience and knowledge of the disempowered women and girls in the global south are vast. I had some trouble finding her some times selfless yet sometimes very self absorbed, even boarding on being narcissistic. The organizations listed at the end of this book make for a deep resource list for more information on a multitude of charities and helping organizations. The information she provides is vastly more important than any mixed feelings I had about her personality. No doubt, she has gone and done what few are able and willing to do. ( )
  stillwaters12 | Jul 27, 2011 |
I think Ashley wrote about her own family so people would buy the book because had she written a book just about the horrors women in third world countries face not many would be read. The bits about her family were a way to give voice to the real message she wanted to bring to light. Much of this book was hard to read and just broke my heart. I came away with 1) famous, rich people can have just as screwed up life as anyone else. 2) I need to thank God more often that I was born in America and for the blessings I have. 3) I don't think much of Naomi Judd ( )
  ifnotforbooks | Jul 17, 2011 |
Ashley Judd is an award-winning film and stage actress know for many roles, and the daughter and sister of the legendary country music duo, The Judds. In 2002, she became a humanitrian and advocate for those suffering in neglected parts of the world. Along the way, Ashley realized that the coping strategies she had used all her life to deal with her own emotional pain stemming from childhood abandonment, were no longer effective. Entering into treatment, she discovered recovery as well as herself.

An amazing journey of one woman to find peace within. ( )
  debbieaheaton | Jun 30, 2011 |
This is an very powerful, thought provoking book. I picked it up thinking it would just dish some dirt on the Judds. Naomi and Wynonna are always out and about dropping bombs about each other in the media. Ashley is hardly ever seen with them and I was sort of wondering why. This book answer that but it is so much more. The stories Ashley tells of women suffering in third world countries, selling their bodies to keep them and their children from starving is heartbreaking. I don't know how you can read this book and be a woman and not be moved by our sisters in suffering. The book opens up with Ashley's work with PSI which among other things brings education about how to stay safe sexually to women in countries living such abject poverty. PSI is working to empower women and to cut the rate of AIDS. Some of the stories are so difficult to read and at times I had to put the book down and step away for awhile. The middle part of the book is about Ashleys own recovery from sexual abuse and certain family situations. Honestly this dragged for me. Everything is spoken about in vague terms and after reading some of the stories in the beginning of the book Ashleys suffering doesn't seem so great. I mean she has an attractive, loving husband, tons of money and a house in Tennessee and a castle in Scotland to live in. I know her mom was kind of selfish but after seeing women literally dying on the streets of Cambodia, Africa, and India, it just doesn't seem too bad. The last part of the book was devoted to more charity work and Ashley's time at Harvard. I applaud the work she's doing. I would want to rescue every woman in this book and she tries her best but there are cultural confines that constrict her efforts. One of the groups she mentions is Women for Women which I first heard about on the Oprah show. They do amazing work by giving women jobs and a trade in order to break the cycle of poverty. I recommend this book to everyone so they too can see what really goes on beyond just the parts of the world that the tourists see. ( )
  arielfl | Jun 6, 2011 |
Didn't like it at all - Judd comes across as self-worshiping, whiny and superior. She went to great lengths in parts of her book to disguise the identity of the people she was talking about and then in other parts, she goes to the other extreme and tells stories that are not her's to tell. The worst parts of the book are her overseas trips - she sees herself as a secular Mother Theresa. I liked Ashley before I read this book - now I'm glad that she's barely in movies anymore. ( )
  momtorghj | Apr 17, 2011 |

Ashley Juddprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kristof, Nicholas D.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vollers, Maryannesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034552361X, Hardcover)

Ashley Judd is an award-winning film and stage actor known for her roles in both box-office hits and art-house gems, and the daughter and sister of country-music royalty. In 2002, drawing on a deep well of empathy, she found her true calling: as a humanitarian and advocate for those suffering in neglected parts of the world.

Asked why she was opting out of a successful career, walking away while she was one of the highest-paid women in Hollywood, Ashley herself could not provide an answer. She simply knew that after her first trip to the notorious brothels, slums, and hospices of southeast Asia, her own life depended on advocating on behalf of the vulnerable. Promising each new sister, “I will never forget you,” Ashley began writing extraordinary diaries—on which this memoir is based—expanding her capacity to relate to, and to share with a global audience, stories of survival and resilience.

Along the way, Ashley realized that the coping strategies she had developed to deal with her own emotional pain, stemming from childhood abandonment, were no longer working. Seeking in-patient treatment in 2006 for the grief that had nearly killed her, Ashley found not only her own recovery and an enriched faith but an expanded kit of spiritual tools that energized and advanced her feminist social justice work.

Now, in this deeply moving and unforgettable memoir, Ashley Judd describes her odyssey, as a left-behind lost child attains international prominence as a fiercely dedicated advocate. Her story ranges from anger to forgiveness, isolation to interdependence, depression to activism. In telling it, she resoundingly answers the ineffable question about the relationship between healing oneself and service to others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:25 -0400)

Ashley Judd is best known as the acclaimed actress in films such as De Lovely and Double Jeopardy, but these days she is more likely to be found wading through an African refugee camp or Asian brothel than on a film set. For most of the past decade Judd has been visiting human rights hotspots around the world to spread the word of hope, health, and gender equality on behalf of one of the leading public health nonprofits, PSI/YouthAIDS. Her work has put her in the company of Bono, Bill Clinton, and other world leaders in the battle against disease and poverty and in advocating grassroots programs to improve the lives of women and children. Memories of her own painful childhood inspired Judd to reach out to those in desperate need, especially abused and abandoned girls. She writes movingly of friends such as Kausar, an AIDS sufferer in the slums of Mumbai who becomes an activist and peer-educator, and heroes such as Dr. Rene, who lends his heart and soul to keep the sex workers of Madagascar from contracting and spreading HIV. Judd also describes her own personal spiritual journey of discovery that takes place during the interludes between her trips overseas. Through being of service to others, she unlocks the door to her own unsettled past, including an abusive childhood, and later on, her issues with co-dependency and depression. Through the act of bearing witness to others, Judd finds her own path to healing. Her recovery becomes integral to her ability to continue her humanitarian work. It reaffirms what her faith teaches her: "When I change myself I help change the whole world." Judd recorded her experiences both abroad and at home in more than five hundred pages of journal entries, which she has woven into a highly personal and powerful memoir about change, hope, and human transformation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible