Happy Birthday to You! by Dr. Seuss

Happy Birthday to You! (1959)

by Dr. Seuss

One of my favorite Dr. Seuss' books. The quote " Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive you is you-er than you!" comes from this book. I used it in conjunction with Dr. Seuss birthday activities. The book has such a flow to the writing and the students enjoy hearing their teacher attempt to pronounce some of the rhymes. I used with a photo frame that repeated the quote and took pictures of each of my students wearing a Cat in the Hat hat. ( )
  Pfefferk | Apr 23, 2017 |
I greatly enjoyed this book for numerous reasons. The language in this book is simple and includes elements of poetry to express the story’s meaning such as sound patterns and imagery. For example, on the second page, “And the voice of the horn calls out loud as it plays: “Wake Up! For today is your Day of all Days!” Since the book is addressed to you, the reader, the writing is engaging. For example, the following quote directly involves the reader; “Today,” laughs the Bird, “you don’t have to be neat. If you wish, you may eat with both hands and both feet.” The characters in this story are not well developed as they are only meant to support the events of the story. For example, the following quote displays how the characters are not meant to be the center of the story, but to support it; “And here comes your cake! Cooked by Snookers and Snookers, The Official Katroo Happy Birthday Cake Cookers.” This story is told through the second person point of view as it uses the word you to describe the events in the story; for example, “It’s your Day of all Days!” While the plot is organized, it lacks the main aspects of a plot such as the climax and conflict. The illustrations greatly enhance the story by including colorful and unique depictions of what is occurring in the story. Overall, the main idea of this story is conveyed on the last page, “Shout loud, “I am lucky to be what I am! Thank goodness I’m not just a clam or a ham! I am what I am! That’s a great thing to be! If I say so myself, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!” The big idea is to embrace yourself as you are and to be thankful for it to! Oh, and to also have a happy birthday. Indirectly, this story pushes the reader to broaden their perspective by asking the reader to be thankful for who they are which is not always an easy thing to do. ( )
  Mjager1 | Mar 4, 2017 |
This book was very entertaining to read. I love how Dr. Seuss used rhyme to make his books different than others. I noticed that in many of his books, especially this one. There were rhyming words in every page. I feel like this book was made to embrace children's imaginations. It was very funny and entertaining to read because it lists many aspects of what the Katroo bird does to celebrate a persons' birthday. The book starts from when the birthday person wakes up to at night when the person is sleeping again. It lists plenty of activities that the birthday person encounters on his birthday. Many of the things that happen are very unrealistic and it feels as if the reader is just diving into a child's imagination. It was truly a very interesting and entertaining book to read. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Mar 1, 2017 |
a fun pop up book about someone's wacky birthday
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
I really liked this book for many reasons. This book was a very comical and fun book to read because most of the words and the entire story was made up of unrealistic characters and funny things. The language the author used was rhythmic and rhyming, which I liked a lot because it was interesting to me to see what words he would pick or make up to rhyme with certain words. The characters in the book, although make believe, were very fun and relate-able with young readers. The characters in the book talk about a special day in which you were born and teaches kids about birthdays and how on this day they are so very important. When I was reading this book I was never bored or uninterested, I always wanted to keep reading. The illustrations in the book were very creative and always went along with what the book was talking about. The colors were vibrant and never truly dull becuase the book wasn't. I think that the point of this book was to teach readers about birthdays and what kind of things happen on your birthday. The author also talks about how since you and you and on your birthday you only celebrate you, nobody else.
  MackenzieVenezia | Nov 11, 2016 |
For my good friends, the Children of San Diego County
I wish we could do what they do it Katroo.

Describes a birthday celebration in Katroo presided over by the Birthday Bird.

"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!" Since 1959, Happy Birthday to You!—Dr. Seuss’s joyous ode to individuality—has allowed readers to experience firsthand the thrill of celebrating a birthday as it is done in Katroo. Awakened by the Birthday Bird, you (the reader) are swept out of town on a Smorgasbord’s back to begin a day and night of feasting and feting in such Seussian splendor that it will take 20 days to sweep up the mess!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:53 -0400)

Describes a birthday celebration in Katroo presided over by the Birthday Bird.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,838,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible