Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Snuff (2011)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (39), Discworld: City Watch (8)

3,1811332,527 (3.94)2 / 144
Recently added byAtha-Nicholls, capenguin, TaraWood, nobody0, eloquinn, private library, MizPurplest, johnnyg77, BernieW

English (134)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (136)
In one of his most serious books (which is still pretty funny), Pratchett takes on the heavy subject of slavery and racism, and how very decent people can participate in it simply by being ignorant, and how we can ignore wonderful things happening literally under our own nose. Good thing we have Commander Vimes, who while not good at explaining why something is right, he can always feel it in his guts - and make others feel it, too. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I listened to the unabridged audiobook edition of this. However, I am linking to the paperback because Amazon won't permit me to link to the correct audio edition.

Sam Vimes, Commander of the Watch of the city of Anhk-Morpork, is not happy. In fact, he's deeply, deeply unhappy. He's about to undergo a terrible ordeal, due to a terrible betrayal by his beloved wife, Lady Sybil.

He's going on vacation. To the country. To Lady Sybil's family lands, which he now owns.

The sounds are the wrong kinds of sounds--animal calls! Rustling branches! There's a river, but you can eat the fish you catch in it. It goes by the name of Old Treachery. There are cows.

There's also a tavern called The Goblin's Head, run by a retired cop, a terribly earnest young man who is the local constable, a blacksmith who rages with idealistic passion against the aristocracy (views Sam, His Grace the Duke of Ankh, is inclined to share), a local board of magistrates which seems to be self-appointed and unacquainted with the law, and some very fishy goings-on with regard to the local goblin population.

It will surprise no one that Sam finds his vacation becoming something of a busman's holiday, or that he likes it better that way.

While Lady Sybil entertains, and young Sam discovers the joys of the countryside (at six, the new and wonderful varieties of poo are a revelation and a delight), Vimes and his gentleman's gentleman, Wiggins, along with the earnest young local constable, learn more and more about the misdeeds of the local Board of Magistrates, the dangers of Old Treachery, and the intricacies of local goblin culture.

This isn't Pratchett at the top of his form, but that still leaves this a better book than many others out there. Well worth reading for both its fun and its thoughtfulness.

Sir Terry Pratchett discusses Snuff:

I borrowed this book from a friend. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
This time Vimes has no other recourse but finds himself forced into involuntary vacation. Both his wife and the Patrician have conspired to send him off to his wife's family estate in the country. At first Vimes enjoys taking his son on adventures in nature but soon it becomes clear that the sleepy little hamlet is not all it seems.

There is a large contingent of goblins in the area and the town seems set upon exterminating them all. But when Vimes comes to understand that goblins are sentient he begins to discover a huge criminal conspiracy that goes to the very heart of the small rural town. ( )
  Juva | Sep 10, 2018 |
I dunno, it was just kind of vague and meandering and lacking in the ... oomph that is a defining quality of the really good Discworld books. Felt like a rehash of some of the previous stories that didn't really add anything new.

This book substantiates the theory that all the really excellent Discworld books have Death in them.

Yep: http://wrongquestions.blogspot.de/2011/11/snuff-by-terry-pratchett.html ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
Yeah, Commander Vimes and little Sammy and *another* book (this one about Poo). Also, Goblins turn out not to be vermin. Surprise! ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terry Pratchett's book Snuff was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible