Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Snuff (2011)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (39), Discworld: City Watch (8)

2,9381231,956 (3.95)2 / 138

English (123)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All (125)
I wasn't really grabbed by this one: a lot of it felt far too familiar and there were several places where I had to read a sentence more than once because it didn't make perfect sense on the first reading. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
This time Vimes has no other recourse but finds himself forced into involuntary vacation. Both his wife and the Patrician have conspired to send him off to his wife's family estate in the country. At first Vimes enjoys taking his son on adventures in nature but soon it becomes clear that the sleepy little hamlet is not all it seems.

There is a large contingent of goblins in the area and the town seems set upon exterminating them all. But when Vimes comes to understand that goblins are sentient he begins to discover a huge criminal conspiracy that goes to the very heart of the small rural town. ( )
  Juva | Aug 3, 2017 |
I love Terry Pratchett books, Sam Vimes is one of my favorite characters. It's so nice to see him with a family. ( )
  Samantha_D | Jul 16, 2017 |
An excellent read yet again from Terry Pratchett. Vimes is probably his strongest and most well written character and it shows in this book.

Well worth reading and highly recommended. Yet another classic Discworld story. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
This book was hilarious. If you like Terry Pratchett this is one of this best so far ( )
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terry Pratchett's book Snuff was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,738,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible