Snuff by Terry Pratchett

Snuff (2011)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (39), Discworld: City Watch (8)

3,3361382,473 (3.93)2 / 151

English (140)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (142)
Snuff is the eighth of the Discworld novels about the City Watch by Terry Pratchett.

Plot:
Sam Vimes needs a break. Or at least that’s what his wife Lady Sybil is convinced of. And since she’s very persuasive and has Lord Vetinari’s support, Sam Vimes finds himself carted off to the country with Sybil, their son Young Sam and their butler Wilikins. But despite the tranquility of the Sybil’s country mansion it doesn’t take very long for Vimes’ police instincts to kick in: he is convinced that there is something going on there and he is sure to find out what it is.

It’s been a while that I read a Discworld novel and I don’t know if it was too long, but in any case, Snuff didn’t work all that well for me, unfortunately. It does have its strengths (and Sam Vimes), but yeah, I would have liked to like it more.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2018/06/05/snuff-terry-pratchett/ ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 19, 2019 |
Discworld...it's been such a big part of my reading for the past six or seven years that it's hard to believe that here was a book I had to wait for. Granted, I'm a masochist and waited months after 'Snuff's release to read it, but that wait, that anticipation, still counts.

Vimes is one of the most interesting character arcs that Pratchett has done, it seems like we have followed him for so long, through such incredible upheavals and triumphs in his life that its strange to come across the idea that this may be the final Vimes book, continuing the trend of 'I Shall Wear Midnight' and 'Unseen Academicals' of providing closure of a sort to Pratchett's most beloved characters.

This is a solid Vimes book, along the lines of 'Feet of Clay', and fits into the modernization of Discworld in technology and philosophy. I originally was thinking this would be a send-up of the British country house mystery, it being set at the remote Ramkin estate of Grundings, but instead its a broader conspiracy that Vimes uncovers accidentally-on-purpose. Thematically its close to one of 'Unseen Academicals's plots.

It certainly is much more serious than your average Discworld book. I liked the tone though and happily sped through it. Here's to many more!

Discworld

Next: 'Raising Steam'

Previous: 'I Shall Wear Midnight' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Snuff --Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
4 stars

Commander Sam Vimes is on vacation in the not so peaceful countryside. It’s not much of a vacation, but that’s all right with Sam. He would rather fight crime and defend the rights of all sentient people, including the previously unrecognized goblins. Gotta love him. I also enjoy the low humor, the satire, the word play, the colorful characters and Steven Briggs’ outstanding audio performance. Sam was working hard in life threatening situations. I was enjoying my vacation in Discworld. ( )
  msjudy | Jan 27, 2019 |
Disappointing, as much as I love Vimes. Hit the moral points too hard, prose sometimes hard to parse, goblin religion went nowhere, and, ohdear, the white-liberal-well-meaningness of the race analogies! Species as race is inherently problematic, but it gets even more so when your downtrodden goblins need the help of the white human dude, (two) ladies bountiful, and the potentially supernatural. Also when their existence as sapient beings depends upon them being able to perform civilization as defined by humans. Some of Angua's reflections point towards the problems with assimilation, but that goes nowhere.

The goblins are mostly similar to indigenous peoples, but there were a few things that reminded me of blood libel. ( )
  coffeeandink | Jan 6, 2019 |
As usual a great read. Similar themes to previous books. Sam Vimes is a favourite. ( )
  Griffin22 | Dec 30, 2018 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Terry Pratchett's book Snuff was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible