Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld…

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,3371062,694 (3.95)2 / 124
Member:bug_girl
Title:Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:discworld

Snuff by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (103)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (105)
A bit of a Curate's Egg. Parts of this book are very good. The real problem is that the pacing is all wrong. It's going great until the crime is solved and then it starts to feel like a massive epilogue that doesn't really fit with the rest of the story.
Also, the sub-lot with Fred Colon gets almost no coverage at all - and it could have been really interesting.
The high spot is probably young Sam and his interest in poo.
Every Discworld race has to have its personal redemption and recognition and this time it's the turn of Goblins - the trouble is that this theme, while a worthy one, has been a bit overdone in the Discworld books. ( )
  JudithProctor | Apr 22, 2015 |
It is a truth universally acknowledged that goblins make books 34.54% better. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I can't tell you how surprised and disappointed I was to find a Discworld novel where it seemed like Terry Pratchett wasn't at the top of his game, but boy, did I think this book sucked! Where was the author's trademarked humor? The wit? The satire? Where was the playful story? Instead we get a dark murder mystery starring Sam Vimes, a character I usually like, who doesn't seem to be at the top of his game in this book. And we get his son, young Sam, who's really into "poo," which I guess is where the humor is hidden in this book. Not for me. So they're on vacation in the country and a goblin's been murdered. Vimes can't leave well enough alone -- once a copper, always a copper -- and is off to solve the case with the help of the local country bumpkin police boy. And his squire. A gentleman's gentleman. Whatever. I literally got to page 286, which is damn generous if you ask me, before giving up and calling it quits. This is only the second Discworld book I haven't finished and most of the books have gotten four and five star reviews from me, so I think a lot of the author and the series. This one just didn't have it. Definitely not recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Feb 28, 2015 |
So very good! Pratchett's take on English "cozy" estate murder mysteries combined with a hard look at racism and slavery. Not a combination you see every day, but he pulls it off wonderfully. Sam Vimes and his continuing adventures... ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |
Sam Vines, a prestigious big city cop, is at long last forced by his wife, Lady Sybil, to take a vacation in the country well away from the center of power in Ankh-Morpork and the grit of the big city streets. While Sam grew up on the mean streets, Lady Sybil grew up as landed gentry and owned, well technically Sam now owned, a massive estate with about a hundred servants and workers.

A true copper, as Sam would say, can sniff out a crime anywhere and sure enough, a young goblin girl is butchered on the Vine’s estate the very day Lady Sybil, with Sam in tow, arrives. But killing a goblin isn’t a crime, at least not until the story ends, but Sam is asked by the local goblin community to find the killer and bring justice to the poor girl’s death. And that is what Sam sets out to do, to find the crime that led to the goblin’s death.

As Sam investigates the murder he begins to understand who does what and why in this part of the country and, with a wry British sensibility, envelopes the reader in a world where goblins and trolls and other unusual creatures are plentiful. Some are quite intelligent while others are anything but.

This whimsical tale drew me in from the start and Pratchett’s easy style made the entire adventure quite adventuresome. What amused me most was the practical way Sam’s society overcomes issues of a mechanical nature. Truly masterful. Sam’s world is rich with both colorful and mundane characters and the attention to detail without undue elaboration is sheer pleasure.

I picked up this novel as I assumed it was science fiction, but it is quite clearly fantasy. And fantastical to boot. I am glad I did. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Dec 29, 2014 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

With its blend of high fantasy, social commentary, and comedy, Terry Pratchett’s latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is a worthy addition to the internationally bestselling series.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Snuff by Terry Pratchett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,210,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible