Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld…

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,6731172,224 (3.95)2 / 129
Title:Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 416 pages

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (116)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (118)
There are few books that when, after reading the last word, I sigh and think, that was wonderful. Most of these were written by Sir Terry Pratchett. In his latest offering from the Discword, Vimes is on involuntary holiday in the country. But of course Vimes is never truly on holiday. He is a “copper” down to his boots and back up again and he carries the law with him wherever he goes, which can prove inconvenient to those there who may have thought they were above it. Like most of Pratchett’s novels, Snuff deals with some weighty subjects including smuggling, drug abuse, slavery, bigotry, class conflict, and the difference between what is legal and what is right. And also typical of Pratchett’s books, it does so with a lighthearted tone that has the reader smiling with every turn of a page. I find this combination of insight and humor extremely appealing and no one does it better than Pratchett. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Typically great Pratchett stuff, though the last third of the book seemed to switch locales in a fairly arbitrary manner, and wrap things up very quickly. ( )
  Simeon.Berry | Aug 29, 2016 |
a detective novel! Someone has killed a goblin girl for what seems like no reason. Our cheif of police/Duke is on the case. Nice job!
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Substance: Social satire and political passion. Diatribe against social class snobbery and presumption of privileges.
Style: A bit less robust than vintage Pratchett. (from review on copy-2 2011-12-07)
  librisissimo | Jul 3, 2016 |
Sam Vimes is forced to take a holiday at his wife's country estate. Naturally, he finds evidence of criminal activity there.

A good humorous adventure story with lots to say about oppressed groups, the influence of the local gentry (good and bad), and still even at this late stage, some fascinating world-building. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 23, 2016 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratchett, LynAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Snuff by Terry Pratchett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,749,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible