Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld…

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,154993,020 (3.93)2 / 119
Member:bug_girl
Title:Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:discworld

Snuff by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (98)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (100)
Enjoyable if you like what Pratchett does- but a little formulaic if you are familiar with the author's previous works. The central character of Vimes increasingly seems to be a mere vehicle for the philosophical ideas of the author rather than the more rounded character of the earlier works. ( )
  Karl_Beech | Aug 22, 2014 |
I have come to the conclusion that my favorite way to enjoy a Terry Pratchett book is through a combination of listening to an audio (preferably read by Stephen Briggs) and re-reading notable passages and chapters in print. What this means is I'm starting to amass duplicate copies of the Discworld novels.

Snuff by Terry Pratchett is the 39th Discworld novel. Commander Vimes is out of his element, taken on holiday to his wife's family estate. He's away from his bacon sandwiches, his Watch, and the streets of Ankh-Morpork. As an unwelcome outsider, and one who doesn't want to play by the rules ascribed to that of a lord, Vimes brings out the worst in people. He's also nearly framed for a murder.

Crime though is Vimes's thing. He has the law in his blood. The brutal killing of a goblin brings to the surface years of subjugation of, and violence against, goblins by humans (and other species of the disc). Vimes through his belief in the law swallows his prejudices long enough to get to know the goblins who live under the hills of this country township.

What surfaces through the investigation and growing friendship is a better understanding of goblin culture and the price they've paid for the expansion of human progress across the disc. While Jingo began the criticism of the spread of the British empire (through a political and military clash between Ankh-Morpork and Klatch), Snuff looks at the civilian cost of conquest Ñ indigenous people wiped out through war and disease, other peoples transplanted through slavery, institutionalized poverty, loss of native culture and the imposing of a new culture and morality.

Snuff is one of most heartbreaking volume of the Discworld stories (I Shall Wear Midnight in close second). What started off as a series of humorous episodes full of puns and ridiculous situations has evolved into a mature (albeit entertaining) discussion of politics, racism, sexism, war, injustice, poverty, class and caste systems, religion, and on and on. ( )
  pussreboots | May 21, 2014 |
As much fun, or more, to listen to as to read the printed text! ( )
  JalenV | Feb 16, 2014 |
Laugh out loud funny typical Diskworld book, which like all of them manages to reflect society today. ( )
  jerhogan | Jan 25, 2014 |
This is the fourth of the books that I've read in this series, and I'm still going strong. My sense, though, is that Pratchett has trouble winding down his books at the end. Like another of the four, this one seemed to suddenly rise to another somewhat phony climax after what felt like the real climax.
But that's a minor quibble. It was still very entertaining. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jan 19, 2014 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

With its blend of high fantasy, social commentary, and comedy, Terry Pratchett’s latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is a worthy addition to the internationally bestselling series.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive "What"s came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? "What?" seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,804,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible