Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld…

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Terry Pratchett

2,6231152,281 (3.95)2 / 128
Member:bug_girl
Title:Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:discworld

Snuff by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (113)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (115)
Substance: Social satire and political passion. Diatribe against social class snobbery and presumption of privileges.
Style: A bit less robust than vintage Pratchett. (from review on copy-2 2011-12-07)
  librisissimo | Jul 3, 2016 |
Sam Vimes is forced to take a holiday at his wife's country estate. Naturally, he finds evidence of criminal activity there.

A good humorous adventure story with lots to say about oppressed groups, the influence of the local gentry (good and bad), and still even at this late stage, some fascinating world-building. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 23, 2016 |
Maybe I'm a "bad" fantasy fan, but I haven't read much Pratchett. I've tried, but my library only has a random smattering of his books, and I'm too broke to buy them. So, I take what I can get.

Now, I picked up Snuff because it was the only one I hadn't read yet that was available at my library, and I wasn't concerned about not knowing what was going on, because I've always been told you can just pick up a book in the Discworld series and still understand what's going on. Well, I did understand what was going on, but I also felt that I was missing quite a bit by not reading the earlier books.

But, I still enjoyed it, because Pratchett has a wonderful turn of phrase and his descriptions are lovely. But, you all know that, I'm sure. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Може би предпоследната книга от Тери Пратчет, коят​о ще излезе на български език. Великият Сам Ваймс ​

Всеки един ред се чете с удоволствие и мъка от тов​а, че държим в ръцете си една от последните творби​

Неговият свят ще бъде винаги жив, но фактът, че ня​ма да има повече книги и разкази от поредицата, ни​ кара кара да се чувстваме ужасно. Или поне мен. ​

Героите от "Светът на диска" ще ни липсват безкрай​но много. Ще знаем, че те са някъде там и живеят с​воя собствен живот, но няма да можем да надникнем ​

Насладете се на тази история бавно и внимателно та​ка както ще се насладите на скъпо вино или качеств​

Vassil-Koynarev | Apr 29, 2016 |
Reliable disc world novel read. A few style changes from other books. In a couple of places characters swear which really stood out to me as pratchett has all ways avoided that in the past. Not sure if it's a sign of changing mental health or another author. Otherwise good action and fast paced. Did get a bit over Vimes repeating himself a bit. It could of done with a bit of other character's POV.
All in all an enjoyable read ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

With its blend of high fantasy, social commentary, and comedy, Terry Pratchett’s latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is a worthy addition to the internationally bestselling series.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratchett, LynAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Snuff by Terry Pratchett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,637,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible