Coup de tabac Les annales du disque monde 34…

Coup de tabac Les annales du disque monde 34 (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Terry Pratchett, Patrick Couton, Paul Kidby (Illustrations)

2,3751072,637 (3.94)2 / 124
Member:greuh
Title:Coup de tabac Les annales du disque monde 34
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Patrick Couton, Paul Kidby (Illustrations)
Info:ATALANTE (L') (2012), Broché, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Science Fiction - Fantastique, Polar
Rating:*****

Snuff by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (104)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (106)
Snuff was my first Terry Pratchett book, and thus my introduction to the Discworld series which I had heard a lot about before. At first, I enjoyed Pratchett's eloquent writing and was happy that I didn't seem to need any prior knowledge about the characters in the book.

After a while though, the story failed to interest me and the second half of the book was a struggle to get through. Many new characters were added at a fast rate, and I had the feeling that I was supposed to know these characters (mainly Vimes' colleagues from the Ankh-Morpork city watch) and their history with commands Vimes.

I honestly skipped most of the last pages. The story just wouldn't end!

I don't think it's too bad a book, but I guess I should have started with an earlier issue of the Discworld series instead of this last one. Too bad! ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
They crunched onwards for a while, and Vimes said, ‘Tell me, Willikins. If a man had arranged to meet another man at midnight in a place with a name like Dead Man’s Copse, on Hangman’s Hill, what would you consider to be his most sensible course of action, given that his wife had forbidden him to bring weapons to his country house?’
Willikins nodded. ‘Why, sir, given your maxim that everything is a weapon if you choose to think of it as such, I would advise said man to see whether he has a compatriot what has, for example, acquired the keys to a cabinet that contains a number of superbly made carving knives, ideal for close fighting; and I personally would include a side order of cheesewire, sir, in conformance with my belief that the only important thing in a fight to the death is that the death should not be yours.’
‘Can’t carry cheesewire, man! Not the Commander of the Watch!’
‘Quite so, commander, and may I therefore advise your brass knuckles — the gentleman’s alternative? I know you never travel without them, sir. There’s some vicious people around and I know you have to be among them.'

When Sam Vimes is persuaded to go on holiday with his family to Lady Sibyl's country estate, he soon finds himself embroiled in a case involving smuggling, murder, goblins and people who think that the law does not apply to them.

What I like best about the City Watch books is that the themes are as serious as the books are funny. ( )
  isabelx | May 23, 2015 |
A bit of a Curate's Egg. Parts of this book are very good. The real problem is that the pacing is all wrong. It's going great until the crime is solved and then it starts to feel like a massive epilogue that doesn't really fit with the rest of the story.
Also, the sub-lot with Fred Colon gets almost no coverage at all - and it could have been really interesting.
The high spot is probably young Sam and his interest in poo.
Every Discworld race has to have its personal redemption and recognition and this time it's the turn of Goblins - the trouble is that this theme, while a worthy one, has been a bit overdone in the Discworld books. ( )
  JudithProctor | Apr 22, 2015 |
It is a truth universally acknowledged that goblins make books 34.54% better. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I can't tell you how surprised and disappointed I was to find a Discworld novel where it seemed like Terry Pratchett wasn't at the top of his game, but boy, did I think this book sucked! Where was the author's trademarked humor? The wit? The satire? Where was the playful story? Instead we get a dark murder mystery starring Sam Vimes, a character I usually like, who doesn't seem to be at the top of his game in this book. And we get his son, young Sam, who's really into "poo," which I guess is where the humor is hidden in this book. Not for me. So they're on vacation in the country and a goblin's been murdered. Vimes can't leave well enough alone -- once a copper, always a copper -- and is off to solve the case with the help of the local country bumpkin police boy. And his squire. A gentleman's gentleman. Whatever. I literally got to page 286, which is damn generous if you ask me, before giving up and calling it quits. This is only the second Discworld book I haven't finished and most of the books have gotten four and five star reviews from me, so I think a lot of the author and the series. This one just didn't have it. Definitely not recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Feb 28, 2015 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

With its blend of high fantasy, social commentary, and comedy, Terry Pratchett’s latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is a worthy addition to the internationally bestselling series.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Snuff by Terry Pratchett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,942,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible