Snuff: A Novel of Discworld by Terry…

Snuff: A Novel of Discworld (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Terry Pratchett

2,5701122,335 (3.95)2 / 126
Member:Artemis206
Title:Snuff: A Novel of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper (2012), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Snuff by Terry Pratchett (2011)

English (110)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (112)
Може би предпоследната книга от Тери Пратчет, коят​о ще излезе на български език. Великият Сам Ваймс ​

Всеки един ред се чете с удоволствие и мъка от тов​а, че държим в ръцете си една от последните творби​

Неговият свят ще бъде винаги жив, но фактът, че ня​ма да има повече книги и разкази от поредицата, ни​ кара кара да се чувстваме ужасно. Или поне мен. ​

Героите от "Светът на диска" ще ни липсват безкрай​но много. Ще знаем, че те са някъде там и живеят с​воя собствен живот, но няма да можем да надникнем ​

Насладете се на тази история бавно и внимателно та​ка както ще се насладите на скъпо вино или качеств​

Vassil-Koynarev | Apr 29, 2016 |
Reliable disc world novel read. A few style changes from other books. In a couple of places characters swear which really stood out to me as pratchett has all ways avoided that in the past. Not sure if it's a sign of changing mental health or another author. Otherwise good action and fast paced. Did get a bit over Vimes repeating himself a bit. It could of done with a bit of other character's POV.
All in all an enjoyable read ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
I just never really got into the story. Even by the end I didn't particularly have much interest in what was happening and I'd have struggled even straight afterwards to summarise the plot. My favourite thing about the book after I've struggled through it is still the cover, which is a shame really. It's not vintage Terry Pratchett that's for sure - although all the right elements are there it never really gelled together in any kind of satisfactory way for me. ( )
  DavidGibson | Jan 31, 2016 |
It took me five weeks to finish this, reading just a section or two each evening. It didn't really grab me at first, but Pratchett is always readable, and I found myself really quite involved as the story progressed. Not as overtly humorous as some of the earlier Discworld books, this is quite thought-provoking.

Sam Vimes is the main character - a somewhat mellow Sam who has settled into being 'His Grace' and very much enjoys fatherhood, although he also still loves his work as a policeman. He's not quite sure about taking a holiday, but everyone insists... happily for Vimes, he finds plenty of crime in the countryside and, with the help of his wife Lady Sybil, manages to get the goblins recognised as sapient beings.

Some of the plotting was a bit over-complex and rather lost me, but overall I thought this a good addition to the Discworld series. Recommended, so long as you've read some of the earlier 'Watch' books featuring Vimes. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Pratchett can take the quirks of modern culture and turn them into parables, mostly (in the case of Sam Vimes and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch) about multi-culturalism. So far we've reconciled ourselves to dwarfs, werewolves, trolls, golems, zombies, gnomes, vampires, and even Nobby Nobbses in the Watch in the course of solving a mystery. Unseen Academicals introduced us to orcs. In Snuff we've moved on to goblins. The parallels to modern era slavery clang a bit as hordes of goblin "vermin" are captured and sent to a climate inhospitable to them and put to work to make the already wealthy even wealthier. The goblins are not considered human - or even sentient. They are more like bipedal foxes that allegedly steal chickens and generally make a nuisance of themselves without the grace and natural beauty of the fox.

I'm not quite sure I followed the particulars of Thud, the Vimes novel that precedes this one, but apparently the Summoning Dark that infected him in that story is still with him in Snuffand being even more helpful. I don't have a huge problem with that, but it seems that Sam Vimes is becoming a little bit too invincible. He only appears to make errors in judgment for the sake of suspense. The only mistakes he seems capable of making are his transgressions in social class. Vimes's only prejudice seems to be against the nobs. I miss the Sam Vimes that waited until Cheery Littlebottom left his office and was out of hearing range before he laughed at her name. I may be alone in wanting a little fallibility in fictional characters.

Wee Mad Arthur is now definitely a Feegle, which came up in the last Tiffany Aching story, and for some reason that annoyed me. Maybe it's not so much that as the Feeglespeak, ye ken. While that's almost adorable in the Nac Mac Feegles, I feel Wee Mad Arthur is just putting it on.

It's hard for me to ever be unhappy with a Discworld story, and the balance of this one was pretty good. I just don't see where it can go after this - I think we've run out of "minorities." But then, it's probably too much for me to expect more about the City Watch from Sir Terry, and the day it all ends will be truly unhappy.
  marfita | Jan 8, 2016 |
Pratchett is a master storyteller. He is endlessly inventive, even when telling a routine kind of tale. He gives you more information and more story than you need, just because he can, and this is completely satisfying. He is a master of complex jokes, good bad jokes, good dreadful jokes and a kind of insidious wisdom about human nature (and other forms of alien nature). I think his mad footnotes are there because he can't stop his mind whirring, and our whirring minds go with him. I read his books at a gallop and then reread them every time I am ill or exhausted.
added by riverwillow | editThe Guardian, A.S Byatt (Oct 21, 2011)

With its blend of high fantasy, social commentary, and comedy, Terry Pratchett’s latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is a worthy addition to the internationally bestselling series.

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratchett, LynAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, ClaireCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rob... for in between his days off.

For Emma... for helping me understand goblins.

And for Lyn... for always.
The goblin experience of the world is the cult or perhaps religion of Unggue.
Vimes never understood where those explosive 'What's came from. After all, he thought, what's the point of just barking out 'What!' for absolutely no discernible reason? And as for "What, what!?" well, what was that all about? What? 'What?' seemed to be tent pegs hammered into the conversation, but what the hell for? What?
Lady Sybil took the view that her darling husband's word was law for the City Watch while, in her own case, it was a polite suggestion to be graciously considered.
[said by Willikins] This is a stiletto I'm holding to your throat and it ain't no ladies' shoe, this is the real thing, the cutting edge, as it were. You are a little twit, and I ain't the commander and I will slice you to the bone if you make a move. Got that? Now don't nod your head! Good, we are learning, aren't we? Now, my lad, the commander here is trusted by Diamond King of Trolls and the Low King of the Dwarfs, who would only have to utter a word for your measly carcass to come under the caress of a large number of versatile axes, and by Lady Margolotta of Uberwald, who trusts very few people, and by Lord Veterinari of Ankh-Morpork, who doesn't trust anybody. Got that? Don't nod! And you, my little man, have the damn nerve to doubt his word. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, but that sort of thing leaves me right out of sorts, I don't mind telling you. You understand? I said, do you understand? Oh, all right, you can nod now. [...]

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile.  Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.   But not quite all…

Lady Sybil, wife of Sam Vimes, convinces him to travel to the countryside for a vacation. Out of his element, Sam soon finds various crimes to investigate. But he is out of his element and must rely on his instincts to bring the culprits to justice.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Snuff by Terry Pratchett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,266,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible