Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals by Ally…

Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals (edition 2011)

by Ally Carter

Member:pith
Title:Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals
Authors:Ally Carter
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:2013 reads, 2012 christmas, author: ally carter, book series: heist society, format: hardcover, genre: YA, gift-mutti

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Kat Bishop has turned herself into a recovery agent. She has given up stealing from the innocents and begun stealing from the thieves. When she is led to a woman whose parents were robbed of the famous Cleopatra Emerald, she is determined to get it back for her. Others have tried to steal the Cleopatra Emerald including her Uncle Eddie. But he failed and has told the kids that trying to steal it is forbidden.

Kat works with her cousin Gabrielle and her friend W. W. Hale to plan a con that will put the emerald in their hands. Everything works just fine. Except, Kat was conned. The woman she gave the emerald to was not the correct owner.

Now Kat, Gabrielle, Hale and her cousin Simon and her friends Angus and Hamish have to find a way to con a woman who has been running cons since before they were born. Now calling herself Maggie, she is planning to sell the Antony Emerald at auction in Monte Carlo. It takes all of Kat's plotting ability and all of the talents of her friends to con the ultimate con woman.

This was a fun story filled with action. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 5, 2015 |
Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter is the second installment in the Heist Society series. This book shows us Kat and all her gang in one of the most dangerous heists they could ever try to do. With virtually no one to rely on, Kat must trust her instincts and her friends to pull this off.

Now, I LOVE Ally Carter, but I feel like this book wasn't as best as the rest of the series. Granted, I did rate this 4 stars, but still. I felt like this book was too fast paced. The days practically blured by while reading. I also felt as if the characters found everything extremely easy. They were practically handed everything they needed. Maybe there should have been more... twists?

Nevertheless, Katharina is a great protagonist that you can easily relate to. Hale is always snarky and gorgeous and all the gang is extremely vital to the plot. I kind of wish that everything didn't line up perfectly for the characters, but maybe that'll change more in the next book.

Overall, a good book, there are just a few kinks that should be fixed. 4 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
For some reason. I couldn't make myself focus on the story in this book. I still don't really know what happened. Maybe someday I'll read it again, just to figure it out. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Katarina Bishop is not your average 15-year-old girl--growing up in a family of con artists and thieves made sure of that. But she isn’t your common criminal either. Instead of stealing for herself, she steals back what was taken and returns it to the original owner. That is why, when approached by a woman and her grandson, she can’t resist helping them--even when it means stealing the Cleopatra Emerald. Everyone believes the emerald is cursed which is why every attempt to steal it has failed. Even her great Uncle Eddie was unable to do it. But when Kat and her crew do the impossible and return the stone to who they believe is the rightful owner, they congratulate themselves on a job well done. What they realize a bit too late is that they themselves have been conned and now they have just two weeks to get the emerald back where it belongs.

I enjoyed Heist Society, but Uncommon Criminals was so much better! I don’t know how she does it, but Ally Carter has once again made a book about teenage con artists seem completely believable. I went into this thinking it was going to be a repeat of the first book with a few changed details here and there, but boy was I wrong. I love how much detail Carter puts into these books and the back story. There are so many twists and turns that there is no time for a dull moment. Every time I thought I had everything figured out, new details would be revealed--things I had never even thought of!

Another thing I love about this series is the characters. They are all well developed and likable despite all of their flaws. Kat is, by no means, the perfect thief, but she is great at what she does. Her friends and cousin all look up to her and trust her completely. I think she is also a good friend, but has a difficult time showing it. And then we have, W. W. Hale the Fifth. Hale is smart, rich, and devilishly attractive. He also happens to be Kat's best friend. Despite growing up in a completely different world, he seems to fit in just fine with Kat and her thieving family. I love their banter and how Kat is always trying to figure out what the W’s in his name stand for. I won’t say much about it, but I’m glad their relationship is heading in a new direction. ;) ( )
  joanab951 | May 21, 2015 |
Warning: This review may have a spoiler or two.

Kat seems to be confused over her feelings for Hale. She's kind of drunk on the rush that comes with stealing things as her Gabrielle said.

Hale Seems more protective of Kat in this book. He still hates Nick, that hasn't changed. Did anyone else thought it was awesome when Hale threw the punch at Nick? Cause I did. I still ship Kat and Hale really hard. Who doesn't?

Everyone else was awesome. I love Simon, the Bagshaw's, Gabrielle, and even Uncle Eddie.

And I'm kind of starting to ship Simon and Gabrielle as a couple.

I love what they did to Maggie at the end; that was so awesome! Best con ever! And I loved how Kat cornered Oliver Kelly in the elevator, and when they're on Hales ship, etc. The whole book is awesome! Well done, Ally Carter. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
For Vanessa
Moscow can be a cold, hard place in winter.

Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long — and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous, and that is . . . the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all, she has her best friend — the gorgeous Hale — and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses and realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.

Fifteen-year-old Kat Bishop and her fellow talented teenagers work together to find and steal the "Cleopatra Emerald" from an unscrupulous dealer and return it to its rightful owner, while a former love of her Uncle Eddie tries to get the gem for herself.… (more)

157 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,386,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible