Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals by Ally…

Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals (edition 2011)

by Ally Carter

Member:pith
Title:Heist Society 02: Uncommon Criminals
Authors:Ally Carter
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:2013 reads, 2012 christmas, author: ally carter, book series: heist society, format: hardcover, genre: YA, gift-mutti

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

3.5 stars. I liked it, and I figured out how they were going to do it before they did it, but I had a hard time keeping all of their other stuff straight. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Great follow-up to Heist Society, with good narration in the audiobook version. This time Kat is the one who is conned, and she has to figure out a way to fix her mistakes. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
I'm a big fan of Heist Society and have been eagerly anticipating the sequel. Uncommon Criminals happily does not disappoint and delivers the same brand of fun, adventure, romance and mystery found in the first book. I love when the sequel lives up or improves upon the original as in this case. This series is one of a kind, and so refreshing and fun. In Uncommon Criminals the familiar cast of characters is back ready to embark on another caper to exotic locales. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure and surprises in this one as Kat and her crew attempt an impossible heist. Ally Carter once again expertly weaves a fabulous story with the twists and turns you would expect from a classic caper movie.

Katarina "Kat" Bishop is a professional thief, though she doesn't rob for her own gain, only to return objects to their rightful owners. Kat just pulled off an impressive robbery at the famed Henley museum. She has been spending her time since then traveling solo around the world on retrieval missions. Her reputation gets the attention of a new client who is tracking down the elusive Cleopatra Emerald. The same Cleopatra Emerald that is said to be cursed, and hasn't been seen in decades. To pull off this risky mission, Kat will need the help of her friends. Along for the ride are love interest Hale, Gabrielle, and Simon. Unfortunately the villain in this con is always one step ahead. Has Kat met her match?

Kat has grown in maturity and confidence with her thief skills but in her relationships she has some learning to do. She is still avoiding her family, particularly her father. Hale remains steadfastly by her side as her faithful friend and love interest, but he doesn't hesitate to call her out on her people skills. This book does see some development in their relationship, and provides more romantic moments than in the first book. Hale is still sophisticated and kind, and a great match for Kat.

The audiobook production is top notch as narrated by Angela Dawe who also performed Heist Society. Ms. Dawe does an excellent job with the character voices and dialect. She masterfully handles multiple accents in her reading of the book, from British to Southern accents. She performs Kat's voice with a quiet confidence and vulnerability that I would expect. She also handles the male characters voices with ease. I'm a new fan of this narrator, but she has over 60 titles listed on Audible.

Uncommon Criminals soars with mystery and surprises, fabulous characters, romance and adventure. If you aren't going on holiday this summer at least you can live vicariously through Kat and her friends as they travel around the world. This is a good crossover series for teens, adults who like caper films, males and females. This series should be an easy transition to film and I'm excited to see how the movie turns out. Check out this sophisticated, original and refreshing series this summer. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
To read this review and more pop by my blog Drugs Called Books

(This only looks like a long review cause I'm a space freak...)

If you would've asked me two weeks ago if I thought I was going to read this book anytime soon, I would've told you no. Heist Society did not impress me, and was a bit of a disappointment to me.

But then the most unbelievable thing happened; I found the book in my bookstore. Don't laugh, that's a truly unimaginable occurrence. Our bookstores are small and porely stocked when it comes to books in English, and I've never once seen the first book in the series. But there it was, sitting there, staring at me, looking all... pretty.

I truly love that cover. I don't know what it is about it that makes me love it, but I do.

And if that's not enough, it was in hardcover. Not the massive and heavy hardcovers we know, like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows or Bitterblue (which I have), but a hardcover just the right size. The kind of hardcover that makes you happy looking at it, that promises protection to the book's precious pages when you stuff it into your backpack to read in school.

Combine the cover and the hardcover and you have me, buying the book, hoping against all hope that this one in the series will be phenomenal.

Let me tell you something first; Heist Society was not a bad book. It was a light, fast read. But for me it was also a flat read. Perhaps it was the state of mind I was in at the time, but I never enjoyed it as others did.

But still, I bought this one. Because I love the idea of these books; young thieves, a female thief as a leader. The way it's handled is the part I'm less fond of.

This was a better read for me than the first. The main characters got more rounded, the plot more interesting. It wasn’t an amazing read, but it was nice.

Still, I’ve got a feeling Mrs. Carter’s writing is just not for me. I mean, I’ve read a lot of reviews saying how exciting and fast this book is. It’s a fast read. It’s not a fast story. Does that make any sense? It only took me a day to read this book, but the content of the book felt slow and somewhat anticlimactic. None of the parts felt truly “exciting” . I think it’s just an issue with me and Mrs. Carter’s writing.

Don’t get me wrong, her writing is by no means bad. It’s good. It just doesn’t generate the desired response from me. It doesn’t excite me, and left me feeling things moved rather slowly.

It saddens me that I don’t get as in love with it as others have, but that’s just life, I guess.

I did like Kat a whole lot more this book. She was always likable, but she felt flat to me on the first book. Here she had more depth. I still felt she lacked a past, but I could overlook it.

I’m totally Team Hale. I don’t even know why Nick is there, but I was glad [he never really stood as a love interest]. I mean, Hale and Kat are made for one another :]

And despite that… The relationship between Hale and Kat drove me crazy. I read this book mostly to know if they get together and when. It took a lot of time for that to happen, and I felt really unsatisfied. They acted just like friends for the most of the book, and I could not figure out if they were or weren’t an item by the end. Which might force me to read the next book.

The characters more developed in this book are Kat, Hale and Gabrielle.
Simon, Nick and the brothers are still pretty one dimensional, which is kind of sad because I really like Simon and the brothers. I think they're better than Gabrielle or Uncle Eddie, anyway.
I’m kinda wondering if something can happen between Simon and Gabrielle?

One thing that really bothered me were the heists themselves. Lots of parts were just left out, and made no sense.

For example, the theft of the stone was just simply too easy. But okay, never mind that. The Interpol. For god’s sake, how did they made all those stuff explode? Wouldn’t you have to already be in the building to do it? It made no sense!

Or the doves at the casino. How the heck did they manage to make them all fly into the casino? They did not release them in the casino, so how did they direct them.

I felt like Mrs. Carter thought of all those interesting ideas for the heist, but had no idea how to explain them; so she didn’t, trusting the reader would just make something up. That would not bother everyone; but it bothered me. A lot.

Anyway, I liked Uncommon Criminals better than Heist Society. It’s not amazing, but it was nice.

3 stars. ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Vanessa
Moscow can be a cold, hard place in winter.

Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long — and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous, and that is . . . the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all, she has her best friend — the gorgeous Hale — and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses and realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.

Fifteen-year-old Kat Bishop and her fellow talented teenagers work together to find and steal the "Cleopatra Emerald" from an unscrupulous dealer and return it to its rightful owner, while a former love of her Uncle Eddie tries to get the gem for herself.… (more)

151 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible