Parable of the Talents by Octavia E. Butler

Parable of the Talents (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Octavia E. Butler

Member:miketopper
Title:Parable of the Talents
Authors:Octavia E. Butler
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2000), Paperback, 424 pages

Parable of the Talents by Octavia E. Butler (1998)

Morne Câpresse by Gisele Pineau (Dilara86)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (sturlington)
    sturlington: The events in this book take place before Parable of the Talents.

Just stop after the first one. This is terribly written and unnecessary. The first book stands alone. ( )
  RobinWebster | Nov 28, 2014 |
This book is even harder to read than the first one was, but it's difficult to go into why without being a festival of spoilers. So I'll just say a few things -- I noticed some people complaining in their reviews of Parable of the Sower that while Butler did go into some of the ways that minorities are hit harder during difficult times, she didn't go into much into how they fall harder on women. (But wait a second, really? Not with the two sisters who are prostituted by their own father? Not with the return of patriarchal polygamy? Not with all the reasons that Lauren spends much of her time disguised as a man?) Anyway, whether you feel that was a legitimate critique or not, this book makes up for it in spades.

Also, this book is pretty hard on Christianity. There are some truly, truly awful things done in this book by people who've wrapped themselves in the flag and the cross. Even those not participating in violent acts are portrayed as enabling those thugs, with what could at best be described as willful ignorance. There are a few individuals who call themselves Christian, yes, who are not evil. But those associated with the church in this book do not have much to redeem them. And then there is this one scene, where the thugs are quoting the bit about Eve's sins being the reason that women will bear pain in childbirth in order to justify themselves, and I had such a strong, gut-level reaction that I had to put the book away for a moment, and I thought, "I'm done. Me and Christianity are done. I can no longer use a label that in any way implies I lend my support to these men."

Because the truly horrifying thing about this book is that it cannot be put away from you on the basis that it is "fiction." These things have happened, are happening, will continue to happen all over the world. The Holocaust. Aboriginal and Native re-education camps all over the world. Japanese internment camps. The worst of the re-education camps for homosexuals. These things are true. So it is not so easy to just look away.

My only criticism of this book is that somewhere between the first main action of the book and it's conclusion, maybe about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through -- things get a little wandering and hand-wavy. Which is disappointing, but forgivable. Overall this pair of books ranks very high on my favorite speculative fiction of all time. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I’m extremely worried about the future of this planet. The next five or so years are absolutely crucial when it comes to halting climate change, and at present very little is indicating we’ll make the two degree goal, which is the best we can hope for. Capitalism doesn’t seem to have the tools to adapt to a limit of resources, several Antarctic glaciers are melting beyond stopping, and in most places making real changes is impossible for reasons of political popularity. Instead everything is pointing towards a pretty hellish scenario already in my children’s lifetime, with billions of climate refugees, shortage of food and water and global economic collapse. Quite frankly, I often feel there’s no hope.

Well, that’s a perky start of a review, right?

But there’s a point. For Butler’s book is very much the right read at the right time for me, giving me some glimpses of insights that feel very important. “Parable of the Talents” follows the events of Lauren and her little group after they found the enclave Acorn, making it the centre of the new faith, Earthseed. They are successful, even prosperous, until a new president of the wobbly United States is elected, a hateful bigot who wants to rebuild America’s greatness by trampling the different. Earthseed is looked upon as a satanic cult, and cannot avoid the president’s “Crusaders” forever. When the strike comes, it’s crueler than anyone could foresee.

Butler paints a very cruel, bleak world, a recognizable America in free fall, where human lives are cheap and getting by is hard. But Talents is, more than anything, a book about prevailing. About getting by. About trying again. About finding dignity in the most trying of circumstances. And as such, as a book pointing out that human existence can be worthy, meaningful, even beautiful even in the shittiest of worlds, it resonates strongly with me: If we fail, if don’t make it, if we’re heading towards a world five or six degrees warmer, with melted poles and scorched lands, there might be lives worth living there too.

On the other hand, I realize that the ultimate goal the Earthseed faith paints, the dream of a humankind surviving by taking to the stars, leaves me totally cold. The idea of man spreading to other parts of the universe, at the risk of repeating the same mistakes, holds very little comfort for me. I come to understand, however superficially, that my love is for this planet, rather than mankind per se. Not a bad bunch of insights to get from 430 pages of science fiction, eh?

As a book, Talents has all the same qualities that “Parable of the Sower” had: a strong sense of setting and character in a no-nonsense kind of way. It’s brutal in the same way (which may deter some). In the end though, it doesn’t quite take full responsibility for it’s setup. The storyline of Lauren and her lost daughter (who is telling the story) never seems to become all it could be. There’s a tiny sense of anticlimax in the end. But the road there is pretty damn stunning. ( )
4 vote GingerbreadMan | Jul 3, 2014 |
This book is a sequel to Parable of the Sower. In my review of Sower, I had doubts about the religious writings and ideology of the main character, Lauren. Thus I really appreciated that here, Butler brings other voices into the mix, other narrators who question and even oppose Lauren's vision. This lifts her Earthseed religion out of its starry-eyed beginnings in the first book, and brings it into context as a noble but not necessarily infallible belief system, one that redefines God in quite secular terms.

I still have mixed feelings about Lauren's Earthseed religion, but this book left me turning it over in my head -- even seeking out scholarly articles written about the book to get different perspectives on it. Any work of fiction that is so thought-provoking, well-written, and engrossing deserves five stars.

I have to confess that before reading this book, I had no idea what the word "talent" meant in this context. I read the Parable of the Talents (the actual biblical parable, Matthew 25:14-30), and couldn't make any sense of it. When I finished Butler's book and still found the parable incomprehensible, I searched my library for information about it. (See now why I became a librarian?) Anyway, I realized to my embarrassment that a "talent" in the Bible is a monetary unit! Suddenly the parable made a lot more sense. I wish I'd had the presence of mind to look into that before I'd read Butler's book.

Apparently, Butler planned on continuing her series past these first two books, but sadly she passed away before writing another. The two Parable books stand well on their own, however, and I recommend them to all readers, even those who normally stay away from science fiction.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
I knew that this and Parable of the Sower were two books in what was supposed to become a trilogy but never did, but I couldn't remember which came first, and the bookstore I was in only had this one on the shelf. Therefore, I went ahead and bought it only to determine later that it was the second. However, it stands so well on its own that I'm a little worried that I'll be disappointed when I go back and read the first book.

The post-cataclysmic world in which Olamina is struggling to build a community and find a way to spread her philosophy of Earthseed is one in which the government is in the process of being taken over by a fundamentalist denomination known as Christian America, education has become a luxury or something that must be arranged privately, and the poor routinely find themselves sold into slavery, and all of it is frighteningly believable. I can't comment on how possible it all seemed when it was first published, but thirteen years later it strikes me as one of the most prescient books that I've ever read.

And yet, as dark as the book is, so full of violence and despair, it ends with hope. Olamina begins to find supporters at the end of the book's main timeline; in the farther-future timeline, in which her daughter pieces together bits of her mother's journal along with occasional additions from her father and her uncle in order to tell the story, we are told that Christian America is now just one denomination among many. Although a CA family might believe that a woman who moves out of her parents' house before marrying is more or less a prostitute, there's no law that keeps her from doing so. She's not the property of her father until she becomes the property of her husband, and neither does a male guardian have to manage her finances or own/rent the place where she lives. In short, America did not go the way of The Handmaid's Tale. And if the chaos just sort of passing and normality returning might seem narratively strange, without the drama of massive resistance movements, it also seems quite natural in its way that the country would just reject the CA movement when it became clear they did not have the answers. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Nov 23, 2013 |

Octavia E. Butlerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Ryn, AudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here we are-- Energy, Mass, Life, Shaping life, Mind, Shaping Mind, God, Shaping God. Consider-- We are born Not with purpose, But with potential. From EARTHSEED: THE BOOKS OF THE LIVING by Lauren Oya Olamina
To my aunts Irma Harris and Hazel Ruth Walker, and in memory of my mother Octavia Margaret Butler
They'll make a god of her.

Parable of the Talents (the sequel to Parable of the Sower) tells the story of how, as the U.S. continues to fall apart, the protagonist's community is attacked and taken over by a bloc of religious fanatics who inflict brutal atrocities.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446675784, Paperback)

Octavia Butler tackles the creation of a new religion, the making of a god, and the ultimate fate of humanity in her Earthseed series, which began with Parable of the Sower, and now continues with Parable of the Talents. The saga began with the near-future dystopian tale of Sower, in which young Lauren Olamina began to realize her destiny as a leader of people dispossessed and destroyed by the crumbling of society. The basic principles of Lauren's faith, Earthseed, were contained in a collection of deceptively simple proverbs that Lauren used to recruit followers. She teaches that "God is change" and that humanity's ultimate destiny is among the stars.

In Parable of the Talents, the seeds of change that Lauren planted begin to bear fruit, but in unpredictable and brutal ways. Her small community is destroyed, her child is kidnapped, and she is imprisoned by sadistic zealots. She must find a way to escape and begin again, without family or friends. Her single-mindedness in teaching Earthseed may be her only chance to survive, but paradoxically, may cause the ultimate estrangement of her beloved daughter. Parable of the Talents is told from both mother's and daughter's perspectives, but it is the narrative of Lauren's grown daughter, who has seen her mother made into a deity of sorts, that is the most compelling. Butler's writing is simple and elegant, and her storytelling skills are superb, as usual. Fans will be eagerly awaiting the next installment in what promises to be a moving and adventurous saga. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:33 -0400)

Laura Olamina's daughter, Larkin, describes the broken and alienated world of 2032, as war racks the North American continent and an ultra-conservative religious crusader becomes president.

139 wanted1 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible