Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Wild Seed (edition 2001)

by Octavia E. Butler (Author)

Series: Patternisti (1)

Doro is an entity who changes bodies like clothes, killing his hosts by reflex--or design. He fears no one--until he meets Anyanwu. Anyanwu has also died many times. She can absorb bullets and make medicine with a kiss, give birth to tribes, nurture and heal, and savage anyone who threatens those she loves. She fears no one--until she meets Doro. From African jungles to the colonies of America, Doro and Anyanwu weave together a pattern of destiny that not even immortals can imagine.… (more)
Member:OJSB
Title:Wild Seed
Authors:Octavia E. Butler (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2001), 320 pages
Collections:To read

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Clay's Ark by Octavia E. Butler (aaronius)
    aaronius: If you liked Wild Seed but don't necessary want to jump into other novels in the series, this is a short but great alternative by the same author with equally interesting characters and themes.
    The Silent City by Elisabeth Vonarburg (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Wild Seed takes place in the past while The Silent City explores a post-apocalyptic future. Thematically, however, they are eerily similar. Vonarburg and Butler share similar sensibilities.
    Bones Become Flowers by Jess Mowry (thesmellofbooks)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (thesmellofbooks)

English (64)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
Pandemic Read. Least favorite of all the Octavia Butler books I've read. ( )
  bookczuk | Jan 24, 2021 |
The most unique science fiction novel I've read. It's like nothing else in the genre.
Very enjoyable but also disturbingly unpleasant. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Anyanwu remains my most beloved literary character ever.I CAN NOT wait until this becomes a TV show ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
First time reading this! Butler is so good. This has lots going on; as always with Butler there is much here about power and agency, sex and race and community. And, like usual when I read Butler, I'm left uneasy—she doesn't make things morally easy for the reader. Brilliantly written, her style is invisible. Think Galactic discussed this just after the Le Guin documentary had come out, and it was kind of jaw-dropping to think about this as coming from the early '80s—nothing against Le Guin or other SF writers of the time, but I can't think of anything that feels this fresh almost four decades later. ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
As a teen I read [b:Mind of My Mind|116254|Mind of My Mind (Patternmaster, #2)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389676159s/116254.jpg|111957] and [b:Patternmaster|116256|Patternmaster (Patternmaster, #4)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389456750s/116256.jpg|1119636] but never read Wild Seed or [b:Clay's Ark|60933|Clay's Ark (Patternmaster, #3)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389456749s/60933.jpg|1008173] from the same series. Now is my chance to rectify this oversight. Amazon is selling all 4 as a single Kindle book for $9.99 -- highly recommended!

Wild Seed is not as good as other books in the series but an interesting read nonetheless. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |

Butler, Octavia E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlowe, WayneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Platten, WillTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Arthur Guy
To Ernestine Walker
To Phyllis White for listening.
Doro discovered the woman by accident when he went to see what was left of one of his seed villages.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446606723, 0445205377, 0446676977

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,602,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible