Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Kindred

by Octavia E. Butler

Other authors: Robert Crossley (Introduction)

Time and Again by Jack Finney (bnbookgirl)
    Beloved by Toni Morrison (susanbooks)
    Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both novels use time travel to explore issues of race and inequality
    Property by Valerie Martin (sturlington)
    Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes (MyriadBooks)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (SpaceStationMir)
    SpaceStationMir: Character goes back in time to experience a painful episode in her ancestors' history and emerges with deeper understanding and empathy for complications of the past.
    The Invention of Wings: A Novel by Sue Monk Kidd (vwinsloe)

"I lost an arm on my last trip home. My left arm."

Is that an opening hook or what? Of course you have to keep reading to find out how she lost her arm! This is not a happy book, but it is an important one. There is the sci-fi time traveling element, but more striking to me was Dana's realization of how easy it was to accept the situation when trying to survive. As she first finds herself thrown back in time, she is acting a part to survive, but then alarmingly begins to feel like the past is more home than her present. There is the helplessness of slavery on several levels, the overall black slavery of the time period, her inability to control being jerked back into time, and that she has to keep helping this person who is growing to be such a detestable man, so that she can preserve her own timeline. Such a daunting and terrifying prospect, being thrown back into that nightmarish time when everything that she is, black, independent and educated, is the exact worst combination of things for her to be to get along.

A definite recommend from me, and I will be looking forward to more of Octavia Butler's work. Sadly we lost her in 2006, but as this was my first read by her, I have many more to catch up on.

This was my first read for the 2016 Reading Assignment Challenge #2016HW ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Amazingly good & very interesting to say the least ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
Kindred is by far my favorite book. As a history major, I appreciate any type of fiction that successfully incorporates factual history. Kindred falls into this category. And not only did Butler know how to write historical fiction, she is able to pull from me strong feelings of sadness and anger. ( )
  TinaMReid | Apr 23, 2017 |
An interesting read that quickly had me hooked. This is not a science fiction novel about time travel it seems to be more about one woman's connection with her ancestors. As a black woman Dana is taken from 1976 to antebellum Maryland in the south and experiences at first hand the life of a slave. This 19th century life creates many dilemmas for Dana and she is subjected to violence to herself and others. The story is personal to Dana and told in the first person by her. Octavia Butler uses the clashing of the two cultures to explore how people seemed to accept slavery and she explores the boundaries or lack of them between black and white, master and slave as well as past and present. ( )
  Tifi | Feb 22, 2017 |
so.... okay. i am very glad to have finally read this book. but (yeah... there's a 'but'), while i found the premise and story pretty cool, i didn't dig the actual writing too much. i feel like because it took me so long to get to this novel, my expectations were built up quite a lot - i really thought the writing was going to blow my socks off. i did like many aspects of kindred, including the fact the actual time travel is left completely unexplained. there is a lot of cleverness here from butler. i just wish i liked the writing style more. the edition i read had a great afterword which i found terrific. ( )
  Booktrovert | Feb 21, 2017 |

Rummel, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Victoria Rose,
friend and goad
I lost an arm on my last trip home.

A young African-American woman is mysteriously transferred back in time leading to an irresistible curiosity about her family's past.

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned to save him. Dana is drawn back repeatedly through time to the slave quarters, and each time the stay grows longer, more arduous, and more dangerous until it is uncertain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has a chance to begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned across the years to save him. After this first summons, Dana is drawn back, again and again, to the plantation to protect Rufus and ensure that he will grow to manhood and father the daughter who will become Dana's ancestor. Yet each time Dana's sojourns become longer and more dangerous, until it is uncertain whether or not her life will end, long before it has even begun.… (more)

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807083690, 0807083100

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible