Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Kindred (edition 2003)

by Octavia E. Butler (Author)

Member:grunin
Title:Kindred
Authors:Octavia E. Butler (Author)
Info:Beacon Press (2004), 264 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, read

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Recently added byBooksForYears, Cleo023, MetroIWSS, incognitoemily, Pepperwings, kc1stchurch, Rena37, private library, kukamukies
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (bnbookgirl)
    Beloved by Toni Morrison (susanbooks)
    Property by Valerie Martin (sturlington)
    Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both novels use time travel to explore issues of race and inequality
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (SpaceStationMir)
    SpaceStationMir: Character goes back in time to experience a painful episode in her ancestors' history and emerges with deeper understanding and empathy for complications of the past.
    The Invention of Wings: A Novel by Sue Monk Kidd (vwinsloe)
    Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes (MyriadBooks)

This isn't what I was expecting of the book.
It's an excellent story, the characters felt like real people, though the backstory was a little light, it was pieced in throughout the story. I anticipated a different kind of science fiction, and maybe her other books are, however, this was about time travel, and more specifically about the era of antebellum south, and peoples' attitudes there, and the current era (though the 1970s are now in the past, and has another feel to it).
Great story, I enjoyed it. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jul 25, 2017 |
I went into this expecting it to blow my socks off as I've seen many people raving about it, but that's not what happened. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, it was engaging, the plot was great, and I flew through it in no time, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

The writing was simplistic and easily readable. It didn't require much concentration or dedication to get through and I wasn't expecting that. I don't know if I am disappointed because my expectations were too high, or because the author approached the important topics of race relations and slavery using such simplistic language and writing style.

I went into it with something more complex in mind, a deeper hard to read story and message, but I feel it was overly simplified and somewhat dumbed down in order to entertain or make it a lighter read. I highly doubt it was used as a plot device for entertainment purposes, but at times it felt that way. Perhaps it's a victim of its time, had it been written more recently this wouldn't have been the case as today's readers are more open to the truth of the brutality and realism of slavery.

The above makes it sound like I didn't enjoy it, I did and I'm keen to read more by Octavia Butler, but I'm left with questions. The time travel just happens, there's no explanation given for Dana being pulled back in time. How was Rufus able to pull Dana back to his time? What effect did her interactions with her past relatives have on her present timeline, family, and bloodline? ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Jul 8, 2017 |
Moving and visceral. Dana is one of the most well-written characters I've ever encountered. ( )
  RossWhippo | Jun 26, 2017 |
"I lost an arm on my last trip home. My left arm."

Is that an opening hook or what? Of course you have to keep reading to find out how she lost her arm! This is not a happy book, but it is an important one. There is the sci-fi time traveling element, but more striking to me was Dana's realization of how easy it was to accept the situation when trying to survive. As she first finds herself thrown back in time, she is acting a part to survive, but then alarmingly begins to feel like the past is more home than her present. There is the helplessness of slavery on several levels, the overall black slavery of the time period, her inability to control being jerked back into time, and that she has to keep helping this person who is growing to be such a detestable man, so that she can preserve her own timeline. Such a daunting and terrifying prospect, being thrown back into that nightmarish time when everything that she is, black, independent and educated, is the exact worst combination of things for her to be to get along.

A definite recommend from me, and I will be looking forward to more of Octavia Butler's work. Sadly we lost her in 2006, but as this was my first read by her, I have many more to catch up on.

This was my first read for the 2016 Reading Assignment Challenge #2016HW ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Amazingly good & very interesting to say the least ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |

Rummel, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Victoria Rose,
friend and goad
I lost an arm on my last trip home.

A young African-American woman is mysteriously transferred back in time leading to an irresistible curiosity about her family's past.

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned to save him. Dana is drawn back repeatedly through time to the slave quarters, and each time the stay grows longer, more arduous, and more dangerous until it is uncertain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has a chance to begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned across the years to save him. After this first summons, Dana is drawn back, again and again, to the plantation to protect Rufus and ensure that he will grow to manhood and father the daughter who will become Dana's ancestor. Yet each time Dana's sojourns become longer and more dangerous, until it is uncertain whether or not her life will end, long before it has even begun.… (more)

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807083690, 0807083100

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,196,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible