Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Collections:Secondary Audio
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, Audio, abss, read

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Time and Again by Jack Finney (bnbookgirl)
    Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Property by Valerie Martin (sturlington)
    Beloved by Toni Morrison (susanbooks)
    Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both novels use time travel to explore issues of race and inequality
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Anonymous user)
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen (SpaceStationMir)
    SpaceStationMir: Character goes back in time to experience a painful episode in her ancestors' history and emerges with deeper understanding and empathy for complications of the past.
    Lion's Blood by Steven Barnes (MyriadBooks)
    The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user)
    The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd (vwinsloe)

Riveting. I wish I could have read it without stopping; although that would have left less time for my mind to reflect...
I woke up one morning, thinking of where I was in the story, and it occurred to me that this novel would have been an excellent Twilight Zone premise; and of course, the book was so much richer than any TV episode could ever be. ( )
  tomcat613 | Oct 13, 2018 |
A modern black woman, 26, (Dana) is transported to 1813 Maryland slave plantation to rescue her great-grandfather Rufus Weyburn, son of the owner. Her great-grandmother, Alice, is a freewoman, but becomes a slave when Rufus buys her after a runaway attempt.

At the end of the story, Dana’s arm is “caught” in the plaster of her living room, at the point where Rufus’ hand had been when he attempted to rape her and she killed him.

Reader’s Guide by Robert Crossley University of Massachusetts at Boston says (pg 267):
“The author is silent on the process by which Dana's arm is severed in the twilight zone between past and present. Kindred, one could say, is no more rational, no more comfortably explicable than the history of slavery itself. But that is a little too easy. The fiction has a ruthless logic to its design, and in an interview Butler has stated that the meaning of the amputation is clear enough: ‘I couldn’t really let her come all the way back. I couldn’t let her return to what she was, I couldn’t let her come back whole and that, I think, really symbolizes her not coming back whole. Antebellum slavery didn’t leave people quite whole.’”

Pg 269 Butler herself has repeatedly insisted that Kindred should be read as a “grim fantasy,” not as science fiction, since there is “absolutely no science in it.” She has also remarked that such labels are often more useful as marketing categories than as reading protocols. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Oct 4, 2018 |
This book really covers the emotional spectrum. It opens in 1976, when Dana, a black woman, starts to time travel back to the antebellum south. She initially thinks the time travel is linked to saving the life of a young white boy Rufus, who - it turns out - is one of her ancestors. As the novel progresses, Rufus's character develops into a man typical of his time period, and Dana struggles to protect others from him. The story gets darker and while the end delivers a satisfying conclusion, I think I may need therapy to process all of what happens in this novel. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 2, 2018 |
I thought the ending was natural. Overall, engrossing, harrowing, and mysterious. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |
A wonderful novel. In this work, we follow Dana, a contemporary woman (from 1976) on her trip back to a slave plantation in the early 1800s. Butler does a great job of exploring the emotional aspects of slavery through the eyes of a modern day reader. Note: if you are the kind of reader who wants everything explained perfectly, Kindred is probably not the right book for you--Butler never explains exactly how Dana goes back in time. However, it is important to realize that how she goes back in time is not important; what's important is her journey, what she learns, and what she comes back with. Great book! ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |

Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staunton, Kimsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Victoria Rose,
friend and goad
I lost an arm on my last trip home.

A young African-American woman is mysteriously transferred back in time leading to an irresistible curiosity about her family's past.

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned to save him. Dana is drawn back repeatedly through time to the slave quarters, and each time the stay grows longer, more arduous, and more dangerous until it is uncertain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has a chance to begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned across the years to save him. After this first summons, Dana is drawn back, again and again, to the plantation to protect Rufus and ensure that he will grow to manhood and father the daughter who will become Dana's ancestor. Yet each time Dana's sojourns become longer and more dangerous, until it is uncertain whether or not her life will end, long before it has even begun.… (more)

Beacon Press

2 editions of this book were published by Beacon Press.

Editions: 0807083690, 0807083100

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible