The Bastard by John Jakes
    Parrot and Olivier in America by Peter Carey (Limelite)
    Limelite: Far, far better novel also set in Revolutionary War America. Humor, satire, and high adventure. Superb characterizations of the two protagonists.

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
This is the first book of the Kent Family Chronicles as well as my first read from this author and I loved it. I now must acquire all nine books because this is just a start to this saga. I would highly recommend this author to all of the aspiring writers out there. This should be a must read for all of them because John Jakes is the master of not just story telling, but characterization. Everyone you meet in this story has a purpose and is three-dimensional.

I also have to praise the setting. This story envelopes the worlds of France, England and America. If you’re a fan of the American history, you’ll love meeting Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams and Paul Revere.

The three P’s are all checked out, and you’ll love the prose as much as the plot because the pace is fast and furious and I enjoyed every second of the ride the author offered.

If you’ve never read this novel, I highly recommend you do it.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
The Americanization of a Frenchman during struggle for independence. Hope . ( )
  jenniebooks | Nov 3, 2016 |
METRONOME NO. 7
  MOCALondon | Feb 26, 2016 |
I read this when it first came out in paperback in the 70's. Still have the same paperback, in fact. It was excellent then & continued my love of historical fiction that started with [a:Harold Lamb|129179|Harold Lamb|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1273337800p2/129179.jpg]'s books. The book follows one young man for a few years from a small village in France, to a manor in England, London, & then to Boston & Philadelphia up until the opening salvo in the American Revolutionary War.

I've read several articles over the years that said Jakes had the historical facts down pat & I didn't spot anything wrong, although pushing an old horse 35 miles a day for over a week seems pretty harsh to me. The book certainly gave me a visceral feel for the times, motivations, & issues they faced. It's the trivia that made it so captivating, but never bogged it down. For all that it looks like a brick, it was a quick, interesting read.

This was the finest way to arouse my interest in US history, far better than any class I ever took on it. Phillipe's meetings with famous people made me interested in reading far more about them than dry facts ever did. Also, his life put them & events into context, especially difficult when I was a teenager without much life experience. Now that I'm quite a bit older, it's even better reading.

This book shows how the revolution came to be in a very understandable way. I hear people talk about revolt as if it is simple & the dry histories of my school days always made the decision to revolt sound fairly cut & dried. It wasn't & couldn't be. Comfortable people don't revolt & everyone has a different level of breaking point. This shows the blunders that England made, how some people fanned the fires, & how other men still disagreed with the decision.

Phillipe isn't a perfect hero, either. He's a product of his times. Yes, his life did tend to cross other famous ones pretty regularly, but it was well done. He's prominent in the story only because it's told through him, so we catch his glimpses of the celebrities of the time. Excellent. Memorable.

I believe there are 8 in the series that covers a little more than a century. Originally, the series was supposed to cover the full 200 years, but never did. I never heard why. I'd be interested if anyone knows.

One of the reasons I was attracted to this book was that I loved Jakes as the author of [b:Brak the Barbarian|509045|Brak the Barbarian (Brak the Barbarian, #1)|John Jakes|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1175371607s/509045.jpg|3058663], kind of a Conan character. I was shocked to see him writing serious historical fiction & decided to give it a try. As I recall, he broke some kind of record with these books - most books on the best sellers list or something. Anyway, they took America by storm & he deserved the accolades.

On to [b:The Rebels|460248|The Rebels (Kent Family Chronicles, #2)|John Jakes|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1309288610s/460248.jpg|2368840]! ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Book One of the excellent 8 volume "Kent Family Chronicles" which follows various members of a family with a background of early American history beginning at the time of the Revolution. You'll be hooked on the series and anything John Jakes. If he wrote it, I love it! ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |

John Jakesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griffin, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The gentleman tells us that America is obstinate; that America is almost in open rebellion. Sir, I rejoice that America has resisted...
"The gentleman asks when were the colonies emancipated. But I desire to know when they were made slaves...
"They are subjects of this kingdom, equally entitled with ourselves to all the natural rights of mankind, and the peculiar privileges of Englishmen; equally bound by its laws, and equally participating in the Constitution of this free country. The Americans are the sons, not the bastards, of England."

1766:
William PItt the Elder,
before Parliament,
in support of repeal
of the Stamp Act.
The eight novels in this series, carrying the story of an American family forward from its beginning in Revolutionary times to the two-hundredth anniversary of the Republic, could only be dedicated, book by boo, to the eight Americans I love best of all.

And so, Rachel, this is for you.
The woman's face burned, glowed as though illuminated by a shaft of sunlight falling from a high cathedral window.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451211030, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the story of Philip Kent. The illegitimate son of a British nobleman who was denied his heritage, he embraces the ideals of the fledgling nation of America-and takes up arms against his father's homeland.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,553,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible