The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

The Night Strangers (2011)

by Chris Bohjalian

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads and I was a little disappointed. It was a slow start. I read 200 pages before I actually felt that the book was interesting. The tense shifts and the shifts in points of view was a bit much. Why write parts of a book in second person and the rest in third person omniscient? It ruins the flow of the book in my opinion. The book had a horribly disappointing ending. I dont know that I would ever recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  nicholthecat | Oct 13, 2018 |
I have read several Chris Bohjalian novels and loved all of them....but The Night Strangers...not so much. It took me much longer to get into the book than his other novels, but I stuck with it because he has proven to me that he can be a master storyteller and in order to tell a good story you need a lot of background. I thought it took too long to get to the point where I knew what the story was about...and The Night Strangers was one of the most disturbing books I have read because of the subject matter that involved children. There were two story lines that I expected to converge at some point, as far I was concerned, it was too convoluted to make sense. This book is a departure from his other novels and not what I expected, especially the ending. I don't need a nice tidy ending, but this was not something I expected and is part of the reason I find the book so disturbing. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |

This is definitely not a typical Chris Bohjalian book. There are the typical CB twists, turns and unexpected characters. There is the typical uncertainty in what is going to happen next. HMMMMM, maybe it is a typical CB book after all?

This was a good book and I will recommend this to anyone that likes a good suspense/mystery. Once again, I like the way CB tells his stories. He lets each character tell their story from their point of view and that even includes the cat! The ending comes from absolutely no where and may leave you feeling a bit put off. At least that is how it left me feeling. For that reason and that reason alone this one is only getting 3 instead of 4 stars.

If you are a fan of Chris Bohjalian then you will want to read this! ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
This book wasn't as gripping as I thought it would be. To be honest, the "ghost" aspect of it was really rather boring and disappointing. And it certainly didn't end the way I thought it was going to. It was a little bit of a let down. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
A commercial airline pilot with a planeload of passengers and an in-flight emergency tries to emulate Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and the Miracle on the Hudson with his own water landing on Vermont's Lake Champlain. But this time around, there is no miracle. A change of pace for Bohjalian, and one that comes with mixed results. If you like his past work but don't like supernatural tales, steer clear of this one, but if you don't mind a bit of THE SHINING mixed in with your fiction, you'll probably find this one enjoyable enough as you see how the accident affects the lives of those impacted by it, both directly and indirectly. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
KIRKUS REVIEW

Bohjalian’s (Secrets of Eden, 2010, etc.) latest effort finds its dark magick in a coven of herbalists, ghosts from an air crash and the troubled history of a derelict Victorian house.

Chip Linton was an experienced pilot for a regional airline, but the aircraft he was flying one sunny August day hit a flock of geese upon takeoff. Chip’s chance to duplicate the heroic flying skills of Sully Sullenberger and the miracle landing on the Hudson River are lost to a rogue wave in the middle of Lake Champlain. Thirty-nine people died during the emergency landing. Until that day, Chip’s life had been the American dream: a profession he loved; a beautiful wife with a successful law practice; adored 10-year-old twin daughters. Now Chip fights posttraumatic stress and has crashed into clinical depression. Emily Linton decides the family needs a new start. She persuades Chip to move to the White Mountains of New Hampshire where she’s found a gingerbread-trimmed house crying for restoration. Emily joins a local law firm. The twins, Hallie and Garnet, try to fit in at school. And Chip goes to work remodeling the house, right down to obsessing over a door in the basement sealed by 39 carriage bolts. Chip, haunted by victims of the crash, wonders if the bolts are macabre symbols for the 39 dead. Like the Lintons, numerous houses around the small town have greenhouses, each owned and lovingly maintained by one of the herbalists. And the herbalists are especially interested in the Lintons’ twin daughters. The narrative develops an aura of malevolence early on, but perhaps too slowly for some horror fans. Many characters, especially all but one of the herbalists, seem one-dimensional. Some plot points are unresolved or take odd turns, perhaps in anticipation of a sequel. Chip’s story is the most compelling. It's presented in the second person and closely parallels the fugue state that sometimes haunts those with depression.

A practical magick horror story with a not-entirely-satisfying resolution.
added by kthomp25 | editKirkus

Chris Bohjalianprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our bodies are gardens, to which our wills are gardeners.

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, Othello
Dead . . . might not be quiet at all.

MARSHA NORMAN, 'night, Mother
For Shaye Areheart and Jane Gelfman
The door was presumed to have been the entry to a coal chute, a perfectly reasonable assumption since a small hillock of damp coal sat mouldering before it. (Prologue)

Chip and Emily Linton have just purchased a rambling Victorian house in New Hampshire and hope to make a happy home there for themselves and their twin daughters. But in a dusty corner of the basement is a door sealed with 39-inch long carriage bolts. Then the haunting begins.

After he crashes his plane into Lake Champlain, killing most of the passengers, Chip Linton moves into a new home with his wife and twin daughters and soon finds himself being haunted by the dead passengers.

Chris Bohjalian is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,534,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible