Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere by Mike Carey

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (edition 2007)

by Mike Carey, Glenn Fabry (Illustrator)

Member:Magus_Manders
Title:Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Glenn Fabry (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2007), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Gift, 21st Century, English, Comic, Adaptation, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, London, Displacement, Underground, Alternate Reality, Quest

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere by Mike Carey (Adapter)

I didn't like the art in this as much as I'd like to, but it definitely grew on me. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I liked this story much better as a novel than as an illustrated work. Maybe I just have such firm pictures of the characters in my head and couldn't adapt to this? I don't know. Maybe it doesn't cover the quirks or subtleties I enjoyed the most in the other version. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Gooh art, good story. Generally a fun read.

It was difficult to say how good of an adaptation of the Neverwhere novel this was, since it's been years since I read it. So, unfairly, I kept comparing it to the miniseries, which was to some extent disappointing, because I love the miniseries actors so much. However, the charms of the comic rendition grew as I read on. Still, I don't know how much it ultimately added to the world of Neverwhere. There were definitely things it did much better than the miniseries, like the Beast of London, but to some extent I'd just as soon reread the book and use my imagination.

Near the end, though, there were a few themes/concepts that I don't remember from the novel, and which were quite clever, so that was cool.

As far as the art went, generally I really liked it, but did they really have to give Door comic book babe proportions and absurdly skimpy clothing? Otherwise she was very true to the original, but her look just did not seem to fit her character.

Now there's renewed talk of a Neverwhere film, which will bring the number of Neverwhere versions up to four.... I'm excited, but can anyone replace the BBC Marquis de Carabas? Unlikely.... ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was a little surprising. I am a big fan of the novel Neverwhere, and love Carey's and Fabry's work, but from the firsts sneak peak I saw of this adaptation in the back of an issue of Fables I felt that I had to avoid it. The image of the characters were too firmly entrenched in my mind, Fabry's imaginings too far off from what I felt was the truth of the story. When a friend of mine essentially hoisted the book upon me in his attempt to clear out his life, I held it at arms length. Indeed, I almost sold it, but stopped to read Carey's introduction.

In it, he mirrored many of my feelings about the original story, and about Gaiman's writing in general. He spoke about what a good experience adapting the story had been for him as it allowed him to really take apart a book he loves and see how it works. I went on to swallow my snobish pride and cleanly devoured the thing in a sitting. It left me with much the same feeling of wistful joy that the novel does, and painted a different way to look at the story. True, Fabry made some of the characters a little too comic-book sexy and the supporting cast a sort of Transmetropolitan goofy, but his linework speaks with his particular grit, and Carey did some really wonderful things to make the story flow. This is an adaptation that loses nothing in transition from prose to sequential art, becoming something new just as Carey states in his introduction. My biggest complaint is that the imagery makes my imagination look very low budget.

As a side note, I don't think I'm going to sell it tomorrow. ( )
  Magus_Manders | Jan 6, 2013 |
Graphic novel, Britain, c21, fantasy, London, Gothic, Vertigo ( )
  hazzabamboo | May 19, 2012 |

Carey, MikeAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fabry, GlennIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilOriginal authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenSenior VP-Executive Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Levitz, PaulPresident & Publishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

There is a story I heard when the TV series of Neverwhere was first commissioned in Britain by the BBC, more than ten years ago now.
Comic book adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel Neverwhere.

The comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel follows the adventures of an ordinary Londoner who stops to help an enigmatic girl and is drawn into a battle to save a strange underworld kingdom--London Below--from destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,501,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible