Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere by Mike Carey

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (edition 2007)

by Mike Carey, Glenn Fabry (Illustrator)

6971913,645 (4.04)112
Member:Magus_Manders
Title:Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Glenn Fabry (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2007), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:Gift, 21st Century, English, Comic, Adaptation, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, London, Displacement, Underground, Alternate Reality, Quest

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere by Mike Carey (Adapter)

While nothing can compare to the Gaiman original, this was a beautifully done portrait of a fantasy novel that I will always consider one of my favorites. ( )
  walksaloneatnight | Feb 24, 2015 |
  walksaloneatnight | Feb 24, 2015 |
I didn't like the art in this as much as I'd like to, but it definitely grew on me. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I liked this story much better as a novel than as an illustrated work. Maybe I just have such firm pictures of the characters in my head and couldn't adapt to this? I don't know. Maybe it doesn't cover the quirks or subtleties I enjoyed the most in the other version. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Gooh art, good story. Generally a fun read.

It was difficult to say how good of an adaptation of the Neverwhere novel this was, since it's been years since I read it. So, unfairly, I kept comparing it to the miniseries, which was to some extent disappointing, because I love the miniseries actors so much. However, the charms of the comic rendition grew as I read on. Still, I don't know how much it ultimately added to the world of Neverwhere. There were definitely things it did much better than the miniseries, like the Beast of London, but to some extent I'd just as soon reread the book and use my imagination.

Near the end, though, there were a few themes/concepts that I don't remember from the novel, and which were quite clever, so that was cool.

As far as the art went, generally I really liked it, but did they really have to give Door comic book babe proportions and absurdly skimpy clothing? Otherwise she was very true to the original, but her look just did not seem to fit her character.

Now there's renewed talk of a Neverwhere film, which will bring the number of Neverwhere versions up to four.... I'm excited, but can anyone replace the BBC Marquis de Carabas? Unlikely.... ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |

Carey, MikeAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fabry, GlennIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilOriginal authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berger, KarenSenior VP-Executive Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Levitz, PaulPresident & Publishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

There is a story I heard when the TV series of Neverwhere was first commissioned in Britain by the BBC, more than ten years ago now.
Comic book adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel Neverwhere.

The comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel follows the adventures of an ordinary Londoner who stops to help an enigmatic girl and is drawn into a battle to save a strange underworld kingdom--London Below--from destruction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,715,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible