Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Dead until Dark

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Southern Vampire Mysteries (1)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (511)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (516)
Originally read in before 2013 and in 2013

Reread December 2018: it's not as good as I remember it. But it's still okay. Noticed some different things now. Like how shallow Sookie is and all the sexist remarks and slutshaming. I think I'd give it 3 stars now. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
I was really excited to read this book because I love all things vampire, and knew that these are what they based the show True Blood on. No, I have not seen that show. I hoped to read through these books first to get the original story before I dove into the "Hollywood" version. Now, however, it is really a question of how much better the next book is going to be.

When I first started this, I was a little frustrated at the writing. Although I hadn't expected it to be fabulous, I did hope that it would at least be interesting. It just seemed like there was so much information at the beginning that was unnecessary to the overall plot. On top of that, I knew that this was supposed to be based in Louisiana but I feel like Harris is doing a disservice to those people. They all seemed so dim-witted and droll. The only person in the novel who was remotely interesting was Sam, and he only really intrigued me at the very end.

Sookie was an okay main character. I liked that her life was spiced up with the addition of her "disability". However following her through her daily life was rather forced. At times I really wanted to be able to ask her exactly why she cared so much about Bill. Did she really love him? Their affection for one another just really didn't shine through (except of course in the sex scenes). Yes, there are sex scenes, so this is most definitely an adult novel.

I think I might pick up the next one to see if it is better. A few people who have read the whole series assure me that the storyline picks up, so I will give it a try. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This review is full of spoilers.
This review is posted on my blog

Before I start, I think it's important to say that I watched True Blood before I read this book and so it somewhat colored my opinion of the characters, and events, that being said, I didn't care for the first season of True Blood so I went into this book hoping that it would be better than the show, but not expecting much.

I was not overly impressed with this book, although it did have it's moments. Right off the bat I found Sookie to be irritating, but I can't quite place my finger on what about her irritated me. It could have been her un-modest self introduction of her own looks that just rubbed me the wrong way, or the way that she calls her telepathy a disability. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that she was trying to show that she did not consider this a gift, but to call it a disability is uncalled for in my opinion. Whatever the reason I just found her frustrating from the start, but I can't think of a book that I've read about telepath, and I found the concept interesting.
Unfortunately, the story begins with Sookie meeting Bill, the vampire. I enjoyed the first few pages of their meeting, which was not full of the cliche love at first sight or obsession before they even speak. She was justifiably intrigued by him because as a vampire, she could not hear his thoughts. I also enjoyed a story starting out with our leading lady saving the male love interest.
The story was set up as a mystery, but because I saw the show first I already knew who the killer was, so I can't speak on the suspense (although that story line is kept fairly well on screen, and I enjoyed the suspense there).
I was very unhappy with the portrayal of relationships in this book. The thing that made me most upset was the fact that, on the night her grandmother died (or perhaps her funeral? I can not remember) Bill thinks it is a good idea to comfort this distraught young girl, by having sex with her for the first time, and her first time for that matter. Now call me crazy, but I do not think that when a person loses their grandmother, and only parental figure, and is grief stricken, it is a good time to make them make those big decisions. It is not the time to try to move the relationship to 'the next level' nor is it the time to make decisions of virginity. I know that if I were in Sookie's position I would have felt extremely taken advantage of, although perhaps not until after the fact, and Bill, being incredibly old, should know better. I also cringed at nice-guy-Sam-Merlotte. I was very upset at the way that the author brushed aside Sam mascaraing as a dog and watching Sookie undress. To be honest that one thing that I will take away from this book was how distressing it was reading about Sookie's relationships, because on top of the large events I mentioned, there was a terrifying aspect to her relationship with Bill that stemmed from his controlling and jealous attitude towards her, and her feeble objections to being treated like his property and then content acceptance of it all.

I would recommend this to people who liked the Vampire Diaries books, or someone looking for a quick romance-mystery for a vacation of something, but not to someone looking for a good mystery. The book had it's moments but overall it left a bad taste in my mouth and the desire to read something with a healthy relationship. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't too serious, but on the other hand, it wasn't as ridiculous as some of the other vampire fiction I've read. Maybe it's just because I'm somewhat unobservant at times, but I didn't guess who the killer was, but as soon as it was revealed, I could remember a multitude of times it was foreshadowed.

Probably won't read it again, especially since I actually borrowed it from the library instead of buying it, but I'm definitely continuing with the series. :) ( )
  amsee | Jan 4, 2019 |
"Over the past three days I have started and finished reading "Dead Until Dark" and "Living Dead in Dallas" which are by Charlaine Harris from her Sookie Stackhouse series. For both books I think I'll give them 4 out of 5 stars....

Basically I really liked both books and..."

Read more of these reviews here: https://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2009/11/sookie-and-bill-will-they-mak... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Dec 31, 2018 |

Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vainikainen-Uusitalo… JohannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wojtczak, EwaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman
Cruel and Unusual, European edition of Dead Until Dark.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible