dismiss

Dead Until Dark

by Charlaine Harris

Series: Sookie Stackhouse (1)

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life. When one of her coworkers checks out, she decides that maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job from Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (534)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (541)
Dead Until Dark features Sookie Stackhouse, a barmaid in the small southern town of Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie is a very sweet, but naive, working-class southern girl whose life revolves around her job, small-town gossip, and living with her grandmother until a vampire shows up at the bar and someone starts murdering local girls who sleep with vampires. Sookie has her own supernatural talent. She's psychic and can read other people's thoughts unless she's specifically screening them out. When very attractive vampire Bill Compton comes into the bar, his greatest attraction has nothing to do with vampire sexuality; she just can't read his thoughts, which makes him peacefully silent. She considers her ability to be a handicap, not something to be exploited, and mostly tries to hide it and not use it. Her 'disability' makes Sookie a bit alienated from the rest of the town and even more so, when she tries to convince everyone that Bill is not a murderer.

Dead Until Dark is about working-class people in a small town in the south. Sookie and the supporting cast are from a different class than the typical vampire romance characters, with different concerns and a different insight on the world. Sookie may be naive, but she's also brave, determined, and savvy in a way that fits her background and surroundings, and the small-town interrelationships show characters in a more positive light than not.

This is light reading with a forgettable ending that the characters stumble across rather than work out logically. What sets Dead Until Dark apart are the characters and a spirited heroine who isn't a stock sarcastic private detective. I listened to the audio version of the book, narrated by Johanna Parker, and thought she did a fantastic job. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
This is, without a doubt, the dullest and dumbest book I have ever read. I cannot even bring myself to waste more time on it with a full review. ( )
  cygnoir | Jun 27, 2020 |
Hot lonely waitress
suddenly beset with hunks
what's a girl to do? ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Love Charlaine Harris and most paranormal books. Find I really don't like vampire books... and although I'm nowhere close to a prude, the sex between humans and vampires is vaguely repulsive. Most popular series around right now... but i didn't like it and will read no more in this series. ( )
  ker95tx | May 27, 2020 |
After having watched the True Blood television show, I decided to start reading the Sookie Stackhouse novel series. Dead Until Dark had a significantly different feel than the show. I generally knew the story already, since season 1 is based on this novel, although it had been a while since I had watched it so I had forgotten much of it, but to make a ten episode season from a three hundred page novel, the show is going to have to have much more time to fill. Therefore, some of the smaller characters had expanded story lines and there were more expanded subplots as well. On the other hand, the novel is much tighter and has a lot less fluff.

Charlaine Harris is an enjoyable author to read. The story was light and fun. It wasn’t a comedy, but it didn’t take itself too seriously, even when there were some more serious things going on. The characters were familiar from having watched the show, but it was interesting that Jason Stackhouse was such a minor character in the novel as was Tara. There were some inconsistencies in the plot, but by and large I enjoyed reading it. It had some mystery, some supernatural components to it, and well developed characters. I look forward to reading more in the series.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Apr 22, 2020 |

Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vainikainen-Uusitalo… JohannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wojtczak, EwaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman
Cruel and Unusual, European edition of Dead Until Dark.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,817,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible