Miręs iki sutemų by Charlaine Harris

Miręs iki sutemų (edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:Chantale22
Title:Miręs iki sutemų
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:American literature, 21st century, vampires, romance, fantasy, urban fantasy, supernatural

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

2009 (75) Charlaine Harris (85) ebook (84) fantasy (580) fiction (815) horror (164) humor (67) Kindle (59) Louisiana (219) murder (63) mystery (592) novel (62) own (60) paranormal (285) paranormal romance (137) read (209) read in 2009 (58) romance (339) series (215) shapeshifters (129) Sookie (72) Sookie Stackhouse (556) southern (88) supernatural (202) telepathy (94) to-read (104) True Blood (86) urban fantasy (292) vampires (1,597) werewolves (121)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (432)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (441)
NOTE: Although my review of this book is a little negative, I would just like to affirm that I have read the rest of the series and was very impressed. So if you find the first book a little lacklustre, READ ON, for more steamy romance, mystery, and an opening up of Sookie's character, which I found to be strong, refreshing, frank, and original.

I was spending some free time in the library, and as this book had been on my to-read list for a while I thought I'd give it a try. I sat down and became engrossed in the book for an hour. I decided it was definitely worth borrowing.

I was impressed by the basic ideas behind the book- vampires being outed, exploring the consequent prejudices, Sookie's psychic abilities, the problems they cause for her. I also admired Sookie's courage in standing up to the Rats, and I thought the romance was promising, and was starting to get a bit steamy.

From there the book kind of sputtered out into an okay-but-not-spectacular, average kind of vampire story. I feel like it wasted its potential. The thoughts that Sookie picked up on were kind of boring, and the answer to the mystery murders became clear to me a little too early. We never really learn all that much about Bill, so the romance seems mostly sexual. Throw in Sam and it seems like the series is heading towards an unimaginative, clichéd love triangle. Overall, I was disappointed in the book.

However, I will not completely write off the series, and I sincerely hope the series will get its spark and creativity back in the next book. I think I will eventually continue reading the series, but will probably wait until the next time heavy boredom sets in. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
Sookie Stackhouse books should not be confused with the True Blood series. Characters are from the book and the setting is from the book, but that is about it. Harris has created a world of vampires and fairies, weres and things that go bump in the night. As a book series it is fun and rich with details. There are some of the books that worked better than others. I enjoyed the plots and the way the characters developed in the novels much more than the show and eventually stopped watching. It was too confusing keep two different plot lines going for the same characters. I highly recommend people to read the series. As i wrote before some of the novels are great and some are just so so. I am not particularly fond of the last book because it seem so rush and out of character. Over great series and a reread. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |
Don't want to go through the mechanics of adding all the books, but I've read all of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. The True Blood t.v. show is based on these books, but the books do not necessarily follow the t.v. scripts, and vice versa. The books are very well-written and hard to put down, and just fun book candy. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
I LOVED the HBO Series, so I tread lightly into the series. I always love the books better than the TV shows/movies, but I enjoyed the suspense of the series so much I didn't want to ruin it.

What I loved was that the the first book and the series matched, but the additional characters on the TV show made it different enough that i can enjoy them as seperate entities! ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
On the spine of my copy, this book is categorized as "fantasy/mystery." Which is only partially true. I mean, sure, there are a few murders to be solved but mostly it's about what it's like to date a vampire. Sookie is a telepathic waitress with the reputation of being crazy because she has trouble blocking out the continual chatter of other people's thoughts. I appreciated this little detail, actually - usually telepathic characters have to actively read people's thoughts, as opposed to being constantly bombarded by them. Her life is turned upside down when a sexy vampire shows up in her tiny town and acquaintances start turning up dead. It's a quick and mostly entertaining read, and while I am mildly curious about the vampire politics only hinted at in this volume, I feel no desire to continue on with the series. It didn't draw me in enough: I wasn't emotionally invested enough in the characters to care who committed the murders, and I'm honestly not all that interested in Sookie's love life. But I can still see the appeal to fans of "paranormal romance" and "romantic suspense", and it's always nice to expand my pop culture lexicon a little bit. ( )
  melydia | Mar 24, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible