Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:gofergrl84
Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (478)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (486)
"Ever since vampires came out of the coffin (as they laughingly put it) four years ago, I’d hoped one would come to Bon Temps. We had all the other minorities in our little town - why not the newest, the legally recognized undead?"

This is the first installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series, of which I had read so much that I just needed to find out what draws so many of my reading friends to the books about a waitress in northern Louisiana.

On the face of it, Dead Until Dark is based on a theme that would normally make me leave a book on the shelf - vampires and romance. It just screams "Beware of vampire fan fiction, because it might be another Twilight", doesn't it?

However, unlikely as it seemed, I actually liked the book. Sookie and Bill are quite different characters to what they might appear - Sookie, despite her low self-esteem and her concern over her "disability" is a feisty kick-ass kinda heroine who is not waiting to be saved by a knight in shiny armor (which is just as well as Bill is not around when a knight might be expected).
Bill, on the other hand, is a thoughtful and diplomatic guy, who doesn't exactly fit the vampire stereotype - of a bloodsucking menace.

The romance part - which is a huge part of the book - left me cold (as expected) but there are a couple of aspects about the book that really appealed to me:

The way that vampire "subculture" was portrayed reminded me a lot of The Godfather - I don't know why, but the governance/structure of the vampires did remind me of the mafia, which was a fun comparison to run while reading it.

Second, the portrayal of how the "minority" was treated by "normal" society, the prejudice, the rumors, the curiosity with which the "normal" population engaged with the vampires, obviously related to how other minorities have been viewed in society throughout the ages - mostly with suspicion and fear. Although, Dead Until Dark was mostly a fun read, this was an aspect that brought some depth to the story, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this level of social commentary in a vampire rom-com murder mystery. But then, maybe not all vampire books are as dire as Twilight, and maybe I should have expected something a little more though-provoking. After all, Dracula was a social commentary on its own time. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Me quedé al 5%, no he sido capaz de pasar de ahí. Y eso que no me gusta dejar los libros a medias.
No puedo añadir mucho más teniendo en cuenta que no he acabado el libro. Pero si sirve de referencia, es la primera y última vez que tengo en cuenta la recomendación de alguien a quien le gusta Crepúsculo ¬¬ ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
I watch True Blood and was told by several people the books are different from the shows. I was also told the audio books are really good. The reader of this audio book sounds SO much like Anna Paquin, it's just freaky. The show is also pretty close to the book. Bubba, who I guess is in the books a lot, is not on the show. I really enjoyed listening to this book and plan to listen to the entire series. I will say listening to it read out loud, the dialog is pretty simple and not dynamic. But still a fun listen on the way to/from work. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. A few of the other paranormal books have taken a bit to get into but I was "in" to this book within the first 10 pages. The characters are fun and quirky and the setting is refreshing.

The storyline was entertaining and the identity of the killer turned out to be not too surprising, but not really expected either. I wasn't sure who it'd be but when I found out I wasn't shocked either. Good stuff. And at 290 some pages its a pretty easy read. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, Charlainemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,248,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible