Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (480)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (488)
OMG.so I wrote a whole long review and my Firefox crashed. So I tried to rewrite all that I could remember.. :'(

3 1/2 stars for being light and mildly enjoyable.

So, I figured I'd review this.

Everyone told me that the books were better, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Now, I saw the show first and I loved it. Only before Bilith happened. Anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about. Before I talk about the book, I wanna talk about what I really really loved about the show (before season 4)
I loved the way the characters clashed off each other. One of my favourite moments, almost at the very first episode is when Lafeyette, the cook and the rest of the waitresses are talking about naughty things and Sookie, being the most innocent one, looks all embarassed. It's adorable. The characters were so varied that they play off each other, rather hilariously at times. It also had that humour and satire that I feel the book missed, but perhaps it only works in visual media. Like Bill Mahr making a cameo, having an interview with the leader with the Vampire Rights Movement, or a fake magazine cover of Angelina Jolie adopting a vampire baby. I like the southern hometown feel. and the mysteries. and the flashbacks. and the backstories. and the naughty parts.

Bill is probably one of the worst characters in the book. In the TV show, at least before Bilith, Stephen Moyer gave him some character, and he had a history. and now he's just bland and more possessive and unromantic. Given in the show he was a little overprotective too so I'm not saying I shipped Bill/Sookie or that I was in love with show Bill, I know a lot of people didn't like him, and I can understand why....

Uber violent, controlling, possessive, quick to abandon, overprotective, cruel...

or Eric..?
A bit hasty in violence, yes--but never towards Sookie. Charming, witty, romantic, handsome, brave...yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I think maybe the characters were better in the show because the actors had a chance to build off what was rather weak foundations. In the book, I don't get a sense of relationships or community or a sense of character. In the show, they all had complexities and histories and backstories. They all had more meat to them. The side characters had side stories. Lafeyette and Tara were broken comedic relief, but now, Tara is barely mentioned, as is Lafeyette, who's now been reduced to the "black gay cook" which Sookie brings up all the time. Nothing else about him. UGH.

I mean I get it, it's the South, but..Show Sookie was never judgmental, so WTF!? Sookie in the show was awkward and innocent and shy and ashamed of her mind reading gift, until love made her explore her gift, feel danger, explore her sexuality and mature as a person. I feel as if the show took what Harris was trying to do--make it a bit dark, edgy, different, sexy--and amplified her weaknesses in the book into good stuff. I wanted more. More meaty sex scenes. more development. more layers. more of this unique world.

Already knowing the show, reading this book was like eating blindfolded, expecting a steak (the sex), garlic potatoes (the backstories) a mixed salad (the awesome varied characters, however cliched they sometimes were) and a dessert to top it off (the cozy warmth of the southern town) the cliffhangers and mysteries kept me on the edge, waiting for the next bite....only with the book to discover I was chowing down on McDonalds. Bland and predictable and not much depth.

I will admit I'm still curious enough to read the series, to see where things go and to compare them to the show. I hate book Bill so much I'm hoping they kill him off a lot sooner than in the show. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Oct 20, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
"Ever since vampires came out of the coffin (as they laughingly put it) four years ago, I’d hoped one would come to Bon Temps. We had all the other minorities in our little town - why not the newest, the legally recognized undead?"

This is the first installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series, of which I had read so much that I just needed to find out what draws so many of my reading friends to the books about a waitress in northern Louisiana.

On the face of it, Dead Until Dark is based on a theme that would normally make me leave a book on the shelf - vampires and romance. It just screams "Beware of vampire fan fiction, because it might be another Twilight", doesn't it?

However, unlikely as it seemed, I actually liked the book. Sookie and Bill are quite different characters to what they might appear - Sookie, despite her low self-esteem and her concern over her "disability" is a feisty kick-ass kinda heroine who is not waiting to be saved by a knight in shiny armor (which is just as well as Bill is not around when a knight might be expected).
Bill, on the other hand, is a thoughtful and diplomatic guy, who doesn't exactly fit the vampire stereotype - of a bloodsucking menace.

The romance part - which is a huge part of the book - left me cold (as expected) but there are a couple of aspects about the book that really appealed to me:

The way that vampire "subculture" was portrayed reminded me a lot of The Godfather - I don't know why, but the governance/structure of the vampires did remind me of the mafia, which was a fun comparison to run while reading it.

Second, the portrayal of how the "minority" was treated by "normal" society, the prejudice, the rumors, the curiosity with which the "normal" population engaged with the vampires, obviously related to how other minorities have been viewed in society throughout the ages - mostly with suspicion and fear. Although, Dead Until Dark was mostly a fun read, this was an aspect that brought some depth to the story, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this level of social commentary in a vampire rom-com murder mystery. But then, maybe not all vampire books are as dire as Twilight, and maybe I should have expected something a little more though-provoking. After all, Dracula was a social commentary on its own time. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Me quedé al 5%, no he sido capaz de pasar de ahí. Y eso que no me gusta dejar los libros a medias.
No puedo añadir mucho más teniendo en cuenta que no he acabado el libro. Pero si sirve de referencia, es la primera y última vez que tengo en cuenta la recomendación de alguien a quien le gusta Crepúsculo ¬¬ ( )
  Minimissplaced | Jul 21, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, Charlainemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,795,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible