Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:gofergrl84
Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me (Aisling Grey, Guardian, Book 1) by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (489)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (495)
This was fun. I recommend it for entertaining light reading.

I won't need to reread it, but I don't feel like my time was wasted. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Man, I just love Sookie so much. She's adorable and I love her. The book is hard to put down, even knowing what's going to happen as well as information from later books.

She's one of my favorite heroines of all time, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of Bill. I can't remember if I liked him the first time around or not. But this series really stands out in the urban fantasy genre, not only because of Sookie, but because of the actually interesting plots and good continuity. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 11, 2017 |
Of course I’ve heard a lot about the Sookie Stackhouse novels, and thought I would read the first to get a sense of why these books are popular. This was a light and quick read but it didn’t grab me enough to want to read the rest of the series. Sookie herself is an appealing heroine, but the vampire Bill just came off as sort of icky and not interesting enough to engage me. But then again I’m not a big fan of vampire novels. Anyone who likes light stories similar to Janet Evanovich and thinks vampires are sexy would love this series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Well...what's to say? It's very similar to most Girl Meets Vampire, Girl Falls In Love with Vampire, Girl Wants Independence But Yet Yearns For Vampire in Shining Armor type of novel.

At times very annoying. Other times downright hilarious (Bubba...Elvis gone vampire - when he crossed over he didn't come over "right".) I like that Sookie is not your average girl and that she has certain morals (and yet she dresses like a hooker?) and things that she abides by. There are parts that are really funny, but they're pretty much overshadowed by the annoying parts.

I think I just get annoyed at these types of books because one minute the girl is screaming at her lover that she's a smart and independent woman and then the next she's wearing Hooker Clothes and screaming for help.

All the sex with the vampire. Sookie would say, "I've been beaten up and I don't want to have sex." Then the vampire would look at her lustily and she'd change her mind. Really? I'm sorry, when I feel like utter crap that last thing I want to do is have sex. I've never been beaten up but 20 minutes on a treadmill and my legs and back are killing me. Now I gotta have sex too? *sigh*

I guess I'd love for there to be a good vampire novel along the lines of the Harry Dresden wizard novels. More mystery, more paranormal, more STORY.

Granted the characters are interesting but as I work on Book 2 I'm not sure if I care. It's shaping up to be a very similar book. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
This was a nice escape from finals week, but the ending had me rolling my eyes. I don't think I'll bother with any others in the series. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,183,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible