Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:gofergrl84
Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (467)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (475)
The first in Harris' "Southern Vampire" series, Dead Until Dark introduces us to Sookie, a telepathic small-town waitress who is plagued by her unusual ability – hearing peoples thoughts all the time drives her nuts! But when a handsome vampire moves into town – and Sookie realizes that her telepathy doesn't work on the undead – well, she falls for vampire Bill hook, fangs, and sinker...
A very light, fun read for fans of Laurell Hamilton and Robin McKinley's Sunshine, with which it shares a very similar premise (vampires joining mainstream society). ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
First of all, I am a mad fan of the TV series True Blood and I always wanted to read the books that the show was based on. I heard that the books were different to the show and I wanted to read them to get a different perspective of the characters and the way the story would have gone if the books were followed.

The first book of the series follows the first person perspective of Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress in a small southern american town, Bon Temps. I felt that a lot of the potential richness of the story was lost through the first person perspective, and although what happens to Sookie is interesting I wanted to go through some of the things the other characters went through and not just hear about it when it was told to Sookie. So first impressions of this book was a little weak. That being said, it is an amazing, imaginative story that is incredibly easy to read. It makes me want to read on and immerse myself in the world of Bon Temps; where Vampires are recognized as fellow citizens and facing all the potential problems that can bring.

My enjoyment of the story was of course dampened by the fact that I knew who the murderer of the girls was because I had watched the show. If i did not know that I would have been shocked and probably would have enjoyed the story a lot more than I did. This book was good enough to make me want to read more into the series and I'm hoping to find a series just as good for me to get obsessed with!

4 stars! ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I have to say, I like the series True Blood, more than I like the books. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Read this when it first came out. Liked it well enough to buy the next 5 or so, but took more than 10 years to get around to reading the second one to see if I liked the direction the series continued. Never bothered with the TV series, so can't comment on the differences. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 30, 2016 |
Not bad. An interesting take on the vampire thing. Really like the Sookie Stackhouse character. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 23, 2016 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible