Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

10,713None261 (3.8)437
Member:gofergrl84
Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

2009 (75) Charlaine Harris (83) ebook (84) fantasy (575) fiction (807) horror (164) humor (67) Kindle (58) Louisiana (216) murder (62) mystery (587) novel (62) own (60) paranormal (278) paranormal romance (134) read (208) read in 2009 (59) romance (334) series (206) shapeshifters (129) Sookie (71) Sookie Stackhouse (551) southern (87) supernatural (199) telepathy (93) to-read (97) True Blood (85) urban fantasy (292) vampires (1,591) werewolves (121)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (430)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (440)
I LOVED the HBO Series, so I tread lightly into the series. I always love the books better than the TV shows/movies, but I enjoyed the suspense of the series so much I didn't want to ruin it.

What I loved was that the the first book and the series matched, but the additional characters on the TV show made it different enough that i can enjoy them as seperate entities! ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
On the spine of my copy, this book is categorized as "fantasy/mystery." Which is only partially true. I mean, sure, there are a few murders to be solved but mostly it's about what it's like to date a vampire. Sookie is a telepathic waitress with the reputation of being crazy because she has trouble blocking out the continual chatter of other people's thoughts. I appreciated this little detail, actually - usually telepathic characters have to actively read people's thoughts, as opposed to being constantly bombarded by them. Her life is turned upside down when a sexy vampire shows up in her tiny town and acquaintances start turning up dead. It's a quick and mostly entertaining read, and while I am mildly curious about the vampire politics only hinted at in this volume, I feel no desire to continue on with the series. It didn't draw me in enough: I wasn't emotionally invested enough in the characters to care who committed the murders, and I'm honestly not all that interested in Sookie's love life. But I can still see the appeal to fans of "paranormal romance" and "romantic suspense", and it's always nice to expand my pop culture lexicon a little bit. ( )
  melydia | Mar 24, 2014 |
Dead Until Dark, is the first book in The Southern Vampire Mystery Series, a modern day classic paranormal vampire romance. Also known as the Sookie Stackhouse series, it spawned the highly successful HBO television series, True Blood, not to mention my love for audiobooks. It is one of my all-time favorite series!

I devoured all thirteen books a while back so I decided to relisten to Dead Until Dark as my contribution to A Month of Romance Audiobooks for AudioGals.net. What a treat! Interestingly, listening to it again with the knowledge of what’s to come, I got to appreciate many nuances that I no doubt missed the first time.

Please see my full review at AudioGals: www.audiogals.net/latest-reviews/reviews-by-gal/bjs-reviews/#.UzBJpVejIlI ( )
  B.J.O. | Mar 24, 2014 |
it was okay. the first season of the tv show was better. it made more sense. there were scenes that were better, but on the whole it was just okay. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
Not awful. Light and easy. I mean, it's no complex Anne Rice vampire novel, but still fun. I'm read ing them to have something in common with my co-workers. I couldn't bring myself to read 'Twilight'. Though I have to admit that the main character is already getting on my nerves, and I still have six? seven? books to go. Luckily. They're small and easy. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible