Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:gofergrl84
Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace Trade (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, vampires, mystery, romance

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (439)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (448)
The first novel in the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries introduces us to Sookie, a telepathic barmaid and her new love interest, Vampire Bill. Sookie has always thought of her telepathy as a curse and tries to suppress it, but her foray into the world of the supernatural awakens her to the power and usefulness of her “gift.” However, there is trouble along the way as other vampires are interested in exploiting her. Also, someone is going around murdering girls in her small Louisiana town who consort with vampires and it looks like Sookie’s brother may be responsible!
Harris weaves a deft storyline with a richly detailed setting, a flawed but likable heroine, a fascinating mythology, and extremely engaging secondary characters. She’s also managed to make her premise of vampires trying to “mainstream” into human society a great metaphor for civil rights.
I listened to this as an audiobook while driving from MN to SC and it absolutely kept me awake, and interested, but not distracted from the road. Narrator Johanna Parker brings the characters alive with her voice and a delicious southern accent, although Sookie's dialogue tends to come off probably more whiny than I'd read it in my head and her pronouncement of "Bill" tends to sound a bit like "Belle" which had me querying "Who's Belle?" a few times. ( )
  EmScape | Jan 7, 2015 |
First in The Southern Vampire Mysteries. Telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse works at a bar in the small fictional Louisiana town of Bon Temps. the invention of a synthetic blood called 'Tru Blood', has meant that vampires can now go mainstream instead of hiding their existence from humans. A Civil War veteran and vampire named Bill Compton comes into the bar one night. Sookie saves him from some drainers (people who steal blood from vampires). Sookie realises that she cannot read Bill's mind which is incredibly peaceful for her and a romantic relationship follows.

The occasional typing errors and random words were a bit irritating and should have been fixed on reprinting - however well written and a great story - I can see why a TV Series was made. ( )
  boppisces | Dec 27, 2014 |
I am a huge fan of the TrueBlood TV series, so I decided it was about time that I started the book series. This book focuses on finding the serial killer that has been unleashed upon Bon Temps, and it does a great job pacing and giving enough clues through out the book.

Sookie the telepathic waitress and Bill the vampire making such interesting characters. The book is from Sookie's point of view and I found that really interesting.

Dead Until Dark was a fast and enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the others in the series. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys vampires novels and also mysteries. ( )
  Hpfan28 | Dec 10, 2014 |
It definitely wasn't life-changing literature, but it's catchy enough for me to request the next book in the series via Carolina Blu. ( )
  megansbooklist | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book series is the epitome of contemporary southern but I am grappling with the use of the word Gothic or dark. I will let you decide. Sookie Stackhouse is a lady, through and through, you can always count on her to do the right thing in this book, well, lady-like in her manners and such. I love when I can trust a character whole heartedly, and I feel this way about Sookie. The other characters in this book are much more mysterious and dark, most of them walk around hoarding secrets that plague the reader. Sookie's character is juxtaposed with all the other characters in the story and the authors writing; she is light, sunshine, and perfect lady like perfection where as her brother is almost her opposite and all the other characters have their dark dirty secrets. Sookie is also compared against the author's writing because the author is not afraid to go into dirty detail about murder and biting where as Sookie for the most part is pure, or well at least starts that way.

I don't read many mysteries but I really love this series, I have read them all, this was a re-read. The one thing I don't like is the author really doesn't give you any clues to figure it out, you are stuck in the same clueless state as Sookie until the murder literally comes out. Great book, great series! Rest are on their way too. ( )
1 vote mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,066,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible