Dead Until Dark [novel] by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark [novel] (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:lquilter
Title:Dead Until Dark [novel]
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:New York : Ace Books : Berkley Pub. Group, 2001.
Collections:m-books, R-LQ read, Read but unowned, L-unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, novel, SF, female protagonist, vampires, South, psychic powers, telepathy

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (438)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (447)
I am a huge fan of the TrueBlood TV series, so I decided it was about time that I started the book series. This book focuses on finding the serial killer that has been unleashed upon Bon Temps, and it does a great job pacing and giving enough clues through out the book.

Sookie the telepathic waitress and Bill the vampire making such interesting characters. The book is from Sookie's point of view and I found that really interesting.

Dead Until Dark was a fast and enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the others in the series. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys vampires novels and also mysteries. ( )
  Hpfan28 | Dec 10, 2014 |
It definitely wasn't life-changing literature, but it's catchy enough for me to request the next book in the series via Carolina Blu. ( )
  megansbooklist | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book series is the epitome of contemporary southern but I am grappling with the use of the word Gothic or dark. I will let you decide. Sookie Stackhouse is a lady, through and through, you can always count on her to do the right thing in this book, well, lady-like in her manners and such. I love when I can trust a character whole heartedly, and I feel this way about Sookie. The other characters in this book are much more mysterious and dark, most of them walk around hoarding secrets that plague the reader. Sookie's character is juxtaposed with all the other characters in the story and the authors writing; she is light, sunshine, and perfect lady like perfection where as her brother is almost her opposite and all the other characters have their dark dirty secrets. Sookie is also compared against the author's writing because the author is not afraid to go into dirty detail about murder and biting where as Sookie for the most part is pure, or well at least starts that way.

I don't read many mysteries but I really love this series, I have read them all, this was a re-read. The one thing I don't like is the author really doesn't give you any clues to figure it out, you are stuck in the same clueless state as Sookie until the murder literally comes out. Great book, great series! Rest are on their way too. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I usually read books before I watch tv shows/movies, but I started to watch the HBO show first. I loved the books even more than the show especially when the tv show started to steer away after the 4th book. I was never a fan of vampires and didn't enjoy the twilight series at all, but this is nothing like that. The fact that vampires are living among people and accepted by some and not others is really powerful even though it may not have been intended for a message! I read the series very fast! ( )
  beck189418 | Oct 19, 2014 |
I read this book as a pick from a book club I belong to. I never would have read it on my own, but it was a pretty good read. Not sure I will continue with the series, but I'm glad to know what all the fuss is about. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible