Dead Until Dark [novel] by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark [novel] (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Charlaine Harris (Author)

Member:lquilter
Title:Dead Until Dark [novel]
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:
Collections:m-books, R-LQ read, Read but unowned, L-unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, novel, SF, female protagonist, vampires, South, psychic powers, telepathy

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (436)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (445)
I usually read books before I watch tv shows/movies, but I started to watch the HBO show first. I loved the books even more than the show especially when the tv show started to steer away after the 4th book. I was never a fan of vampires and didn't enjoy the twilight series at all, but this is nothing like that. The fact that vampires are living among people and accepted by some and not others is really powerful even though it may not have been intended for a message! I read the series very fast! ( )
  beck189418 | Oct 19, 2014 |
I read this book as a pick from a book club I belong to. I never would have read it on my own, but it was a pretty good read. Not sure I will continue with the series, but I'm glad to know what all the fuss is about. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
Sookie Stackhouse is a new kind of heroine -- a reluctant mind reading waitress in a colorful Louisiana joint. The motley patrons and townsfolk generally avoid her because they know she's different. And then Bill walked in and everything changed. Bill is a vampire, and is the only person who's mind she cannot read. If you are looking for a refreshing twist on the vampire motif, pick up this Charlaine Harris series. (Dead Until Dark is Book 1). ( )
  cpq | Oct 1, 2014 |
There was more substance and more elements of the supernatural to this book than I expected, and it was an entertaining read. The characters of Sookie and Bill didn't feel too 3-dimensional (yet? Maybe that gets better as the series develops), but I liked Sookie, and Sam too. I'm not rushing to read more at this time, although if the opportunity comes up, I might read the next one. ( )
  emanate28 | Aug 26, 2014 |
I really loved the story, after reading twilight I wanted to read something else about vampires, but this books was completely different from what I was expecting. As soon as I finished the book I was already buying the second one. This is one of the books that i could not put down until I was finish. ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,413,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible