Dead Until Dark [novel] by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark [novel] (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:lquilter
Title:Dead Until Dark [novel]
Authors:Charlaine Harris (Author)
Info:New York : Ace Books : Berkley Pub. Group, 2001.
Collections:m-books, L-unowned, R-LQ read, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, novel, SF, female protagonist, vampires, South, psychic powers, telepathy

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (443)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (452)
This book centres around Sookie a small-time cocktail waitress who lives in a small town in Louisiana. Shes a quiet girl, keeps herself to herself apart from going to work and living with her grandmother. Although attractive and nice she considers her ability to read peoples minds, a disability. She then meets Bill, a vampire who moves to her town. Although vampires are now legally allowed to live among humans - he's one of the first in her town.

I liked this book a lot! The character of Sookie is great. She seems nice although a little naive and doesn't use her 'disability' to find out what everyone is thinking and has her guard up all day at work. I also like that she doesn't use it to manipulate people. I would be reading peoples minds all day. Bill is also great. He's not a vampire who just goes around killing people and he likes Sookie which is nice. And he doesn't need to have sex every 5 secs which I find annoying in some paranormal books. The story kept me interested and got better as it went along. It was easy to follow and although some parts were predicatable, others weren't.

All in all, if you enjoy paranormal books, this is worth a read. Its not your typical vampire book, but thats one of the things I liked about it and it would appeal to people new to the genre. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Feb 16, 2015 |
First of all, I am a mad fan of the TV series True Blood and I always wanted to read the books that the show was based on. I heard that the books were different to the show and I wanted to read them to get a different perspective of the characters and the way the story would have gone if the books were followed.

The first book of the series follows the first person perspective of Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress in a small southern american town, Bon Temps. I felt that a lot of the potential richness of the story was lost through the first person perspective, and although what happens to Sookie is interesting I wanted to go through some of the things the other characters went through and not just hear about it when it was told to Sookie. So first impressions of this book was a little weak. That being said, it is an amazing, imaginative story that is incredibly easy to read. It makes me want to read on and immerse myself in the world of Bon Temps; where Vampires are recognized as fellow citizens and facing all the potential problems that can bring.

My enjoyment of the story was of course dampened by the fact that I knew who the murderer of the girls was because I had watched the show. If i did not know that I would have been shocked and probably would have enjoyed the story a lot more than I did. This book was good enough to make me want to read more into the series and I'm hoping to find a series just as good for me to get obsessed with! ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
I am really surprised I liked this book. I read it so I could watch the TrueBlood series (I like the read the books first), and was sure I would hate it - but I didn't. It was enjoyable. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
This is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I found the book entertaining even though I knew what was going to happen from watching the HBO TV series True Blood which is based on the books.

A young telepath, Sookie Stackhouse, tells her story about meeting a vampire in a world where the undead have "come out". There are series of murders of young women and Sookie is one of the serial killer's targets because she consorts with vampires. The story is not as involved as the TV series, does not have as many key characters, and has some other differences. I enjoyed reading it and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a light, but exciting, read with plenty of action. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 27, 2015 |
The first novel in the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries introduces us to Sookie, a telepathic barmaid and her new love interest, Vampire Bill. Sookie has always thought of her telepathy as a curse and tries to suppress it, but her foray into the world of the supernatural awakens her to the power and usefulness of her “gift.” However, there is trouble along the way as other vampires are interested in exploiting her. Also, someone is going around murdering girls in her small Louisiana town who consort with vampires and it looks like Sookie’s brother may be responsible!
Harris weaves a deft storyline with a richly detailed setting, a flawed but likable heroine, a fascinating mythology, and extremely engaging secondary characters. She’s also managed to make her premise of vampires trying to “mainstream” into human society a great metaphor for civil rights.
I listened to this as an audiobook while driving from MN to SC and it absolutely kept me awake, and interested, but not distracted from the road. Narrator Johanna Parker brings the characters alive with her voice and a delicious southern accent, although Sookie's dialogue tends to come off probably more whiny than I'd read it in my head and her pronouncement of "Bill" tends to sound a bit like "Belle" which had me querying "Who's Belle?" a few times. ( )
  EmScape | Jan 7, 2015 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:50 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,717,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible