Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True…

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1) (original 2001; edition 2010)

by Charlaine Harris

Title:Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 1)
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Ace (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 327 pages

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001)

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (Katymelrose)
    Katymelrose: Both series are paranormal romance with strong female protagonists.
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (FFortuna)
    You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister (laur0209)
    Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both girls are from the South. Blond, cute, feisty, with a talent for attracting trouble, and tall sexy men with foreign accents.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both urban supernatural fantasy, both have lovable main characters and both are speckled with humour.
    Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson (amberwitch)
    A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott (Anonymous user)
    Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: 20 something woman living in a small town, considered weird. Meets sexy vampire, mystery, murder and many different sups.
    Cowboy and The Vampire: A Very Unusual Romance by Clark Hays (GirlMisanthrope)
    Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson (gaialover)
    Dark Challenge by Christine Feehan (kapuwolves)
    kapuwolves: It is another vampire baddie, but goodie. It follows a deep, dark romance between two individuals, difference is: both of them are vampires. These are not the kind of bonds, or the kind of vampires we are used to.

English (448)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (456)
First of all, I am a mad fan of the TV series True Blood and I always wanted to read the books that the show was based on. I heard that the books were different to the show and I wanted to read them to get a different perspective of the characters and the way the story would have gone if the books were followed.

The first book of the series follows the first person perspective of Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress in a small southern american town, Bon Temps. I felt that a lot of the potential richness of the story was lost through the first person perspective, and although what happens to Sookie is interesting I wanted to go through some of the things the other characters went through and not just hear about it when it was told to Sookie. So first impressions of this book was a little weak. That being said, it is an amazing, imaginative story that is incredibly easy to read. It makes me want to read on and immerse myself in the world of Bon Temps; where Vampires are recognized as fellow citizens and facing all the potential problems that can bring.

My enjoyment of the story was of course dampened by the fact that I knew who the murderer of the girls was because I had watched the show. If i did not know that I would have been shocked and probably would have enjoyed the story a lot more than I did. This book was good enough to make me want to read more into the series and I'm hoping to find a series just as good for me to get obsessed with!

4 stars! ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
Pure fluff. It was entertaining, but melodramatic and silly. Read it if you need a mindless beach read. I know there's a whole series, but I don't feel any real need to get to know the characters any better. ( )
  bookworm12 | Nov 19, 2015 |
This book series is the epitome of contemporary southern but I am grappling with the use of the word Gothic or dark. I will let you decide. Sookie Stackhouse is a lady, through and through, you can always count on her to do the right thing in this book, well, lady-like in her manners and such. I love when I can trust a character whole heartedly, and I feel this way about Sookie. The other characters in this book are much more mysterious and dark, most of them walk around hoarding secrets that plague the reader. Sookie's character is juxtaposed with all the other characters in the story and the authors writing; she is light, sunshine, and perfect lady like perfection where as her brother is almost her opposite and all the other characters have their dark dirty secrets. Sookie is also compared against the author's writing because the author is not afraid to go into dirty detail about murder and biting where as Sookie for the most part is pure, or well at least starts that way.

I don't read many mysteries but I really love this series, I have read them all, this was a re-read. The one thing I don't like is the author really doesn't give you any clues to figure it out, you are stuck in the same clueless state as Sookie until the murder literally comes out. Great book, great series! Rest are on their way too. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Tru Blood - book origins. Not good, I hope tv show is better.

InezGard | Sep 15, 2015 |
The writing isn't very good. I would lump it in the Twilight category. I did not like how repetitive certain phrases were, and the back and forth Sookie is stuck in with her ""on again/ off again"" attitude towards vampires. The words were there, but I didn't really sympathize with her. The book was also filled with the mundane tasks of Sookie's life, which I assume are only present to further show that she is just a regular girl, but honestly, how many times am I going to read about putting on and taking off her clothes (when no one else is around!), ""how"" she put her hair into a ponytail and the big smile plastered on her face?

All that being said, the story did sweep me up and force me to keep reading. And since I was able to get a deal on the series, I will read all of them, but I must say I do understand why none of Harris' other series have been successful. The writing is poor. :/ ( )
  BridgettKathryn | Sep 6, 2015 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My thanks and appreciation go to the people who thought this book was a good idea--Dean James, Toni L. P. Kelner, and Gary and Susan Nowlin
I'd been waiting for the vampire for years when he walked into the bar.
"It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on" - Bill Compton.
"Bill, are you quite attached to your friend?" - Eric Northman

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441008534, Mass Market Paperback)

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....

Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next. Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out. Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea. A new vampire mystery, in the vein of a lighter & more romantic Laurell Hamilton.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,961,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible