Inside Scientology: The Story of…

Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion (edition 2011)

by Janet Reitman

Member:sparemethecensor
Title:Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion
Authors:Janet Reitman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2011), Edition: None, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Scientology, cult, insular community, fundamentalism, science fiction, California, fraud, pyramid scheme, religion, Florida, Clearwater, L. Ron Hubbard, investigative journalism

Inside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Two similar journalistic exposes of Scientology, both of which take a surprisingly even-handed view of the group. I preferred Inside Scientology, although both are great primers on what is going on under David Miscavige's regime.
    A Piece of Blue Sky: Scientology, Dianetics and L. Ron Hubbard Exposed by Jon Atack (dawn_croaker)
    My Billion Year Contract: Memoir of a Former Scientologist by Nancy Many (Anonymous user)

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
A brilliant investigation into a little-understood and culturally significant contemporary religion. If you want to understand all of the references in the latest Tom-Cruise-Katie-Holmes-divorce-stories to things like "the Sea Org," this book will fill you in. More importantly, if you want to see the journey from inspiration to idea to institution to insane-protection-of-said-institution, this is the book for you. Makes one wonder about religions, ideologies, institutions well beyond Scientology. I was fascinated...often horrified, but fascinated nonetheless. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
In the introduction, the author states that she set out to write an objective telling of the history and member accounts of Scientology. As I listened/read (I took advantage of Amazon's Whispersync option so that I could listen when I wasn't physically able to read), it became increasingly clear what an unbelievably difficult task that would be for anyone with an ounce of common sense due to the, in my opinion, fantastical nature of the subject matter. I do believe she did her best to give a fair re-telling of events and it was apparent that she had evidence to back up her statements.

Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
Seriously I cannot brains the people who blindly follow the religion invented by someone who failed to show the real virtue in life - the Hubbard himself screwing his life, doing immoral things (cheating his wife and his wife cheating him, too), etc. So how on earth people could ever worshiping this man, after bunch of immoral thing surrounded his life? Where's gone the good exemplar?

Seriously insane and unimaginable! ( )
  tajuddinabd | Mar 26, 2015 |
The confirmed facts alone are cause for nightmares. They implemented (and were convicted of) an extensive plan to overtake the U.S. government - making Watergate look like child's play. They so harassed IRS agents (stalked them, intimidated their families, filed thousands of law suits against them individually) that we just gave them the distinction out of fear. A group that believes aliens inhabit our bodies based on the writings of a science fiction author is not a religion - it's a cult. God has no place in Scientology. ( )
  Jeanne.Miller | Nov 12, 2014 |
For my father, and for Lee
with love...
Whatever else might be said about Lafayette Ron Hubbard, he undoubtedly had a strange and unique genius.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618883029, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, July 2011: Whatever your opinion of Scientology, the truth is more extreme. Inside Scientology is journalist Janet Reitman's incredible book-length follow-up to the Rolling Stone cover story of the same name, a 2007 finalist for the National Magazine Award. Founded by wayward science-fiction writer and historical revisionist par excellence L. Ron Hubbard, "America's Most Secretive Religion" is perhaps best known for high-profile adherents like Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but its tenets, processes, and internal organization form a story as surprising and captivating as that of any investigative work released this year. Reitman's extensive research--including hundreds of interviews with devotees and defectors alike--culminates in an expansive, page-turning survey of the origins, development, crises, beliefs, and scandals of this fascinating incorporated religion, all with a fair-minded approach that favors diligent curiosity over judgment at every turn. "It has been my goal to write the first objective modern history of the Church of Scientology," Reitman writes in the book's introduction, and to this end, Inside Scientology succeeds in spades. This book will remain the definitive study of the subject for a long time to come. --Jason Kirk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:19 -0400)

Reitman offers the first full, journalistic history of the Church of Scientology, in an even-handed account that at last establishes the astonishing truth about the controversial religion. She traces Scientology's development from the birth of Dianetics through to the present day.… (more)

207 wanted1 pay6 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,001,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible