The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, No.…

The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, No. 2) (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Eve Edwards

Member:CodeName5012
Title:The Queen's Lady (The Lacey Chronicles, No. 2)
Authors:Eve Edwards
Info:
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Tweens, Teens, Girls, Historical, Romance, Christine Uhlenbrock, 2013

The Queen's Lady by Eve Edwards (2011)

Not gonna lie, the opening of The Queen's Lady threw me for a loop. Last I knew where the characters were left in The Other Countess, Lady Jane was going to go find James and tell him why she broke off her engagement to his brother (aka because she thought his younger brother was the sexy). In the opening section of this book, though, I am shocked and appalled to discover that Lady Jane has gone and married a wealthy old geezer (like she initially planned, although she does actually like him and he's saving her from shame, so that's good I guess) and James, accompanied by Diego, is at war. What?!?

From an intellectual standpoint, I guess I know that they can't confess their love at the beginning of a romance novel. I mean, where do you go from there? Babies, that's where. So this is all for the best, but it was still quite alarming. So watch out for that. It's always so startling when series pick up months or years down the road and everything waaaaay different than you expected.

The only real issue I have reading historical fiction is how freaky it is to think about how young these women are. Jane is 18 in this book, but was going to be married off in the first, when she was, unsurprisingly, younger. And she'd been eligible for marriage for a few years. Yikes. I am so glad that feminism happened. I mean, in olden days, I would either have a gaggle of children by now or be a spinste (note: I'm 24). The cover captures this awkwardness perfectly. The girl is quite pretty, but she looks a bit like a child trying on an adult's dress. This is what I remind myself of when I over-romanticize the past.

Although I did enjoy reading The Queen's Lady, I definitely preferred the first book in the series, The Other Countess. The difference lies mainly in the heroine. Ellie just had so much spirit and was very much not the typical lady in the Elizabethan era. Jane is much more well-behaved and rule-following. Of course, she does sometimes, but not nearly enough. She nearly gets herself trapped in a terrible future by not standing up for herself, which is just stupid. I guess I should have seen it coming, since she came close to doing so in the last book too.

Although I was slightly disappointed, you better believe I'll be reading the next book, The Rogue's Princess, when it comes out in January 2013. These are light, fun reads for anyone who wants a little more costume drama in their life! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
Lady Jane Rievaulx is a widow at the ripe old age of 18. Her marriage ws one of convenience but she liked her husband and he her, although his family disliked her inheriting anything, they regarded her as a money-chaser. Her family has plans for her and they're nothing if ambitious, she's valuable for her marriageabilty and connections and they've found someone who will give them more power.

However she loves Master James Lacey, who is dealing with an aftermath of a war on his psyche and heading for America to find a purpose. While he's away she's trapped, will James get back in time to save her?

It's a fun read, the characters are well drawn and while some of the situations are flagged well in advance it kept me reading through. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 25, 2012 |
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com
eARC provided by publisher for review

The Queen's Lady begins not long after The Other Countess ends, picking up the story of Lady Jane - and, of course, James Lacey. If you have not read The Other Countess, you won't be entirely lost, as references are made to the significant events from that novel - but since the focus is now on Jane and James (as opposed to Will and Ellie), it's another storyline entirely. Lady Jane's transformation from cold, social-climbing noblewoman into a beautiful young lady with a heart is complete, although she is not without her troubles.

As a member of Queen Elizabeth's Privy Chamber, her position (and person) should be safe - just as her late husband the Marquess desired. And with the reappearance of James Lacey at Court (although, regretfully, in the house of Sir Walter Raleigh), Jane's life should be all happiness. But things are never as they seem, and soon Jane learns of a disastrous plan her father and brother have concocted -- forcing Jane to sacrifice her own happiness and independence to save those of her dear childhood friend Milly (who is, conveniently, in love with James' valet Diego). James could set things right, but he has demons of his own to conquer, and is on his way - with Diego - to the Americas, scouting a colony site on the Outer Banks. Any chance of a happier alternative for Jane will come down to timing. And fate.

What I love about Edwards' writing is her ability to weave together multiple story lines. While this is the story of Lady Jane and James Lacey, it's also the story of Milly Porter, Diego, and the colorful Christopher Turner. And, of course, we get to peek into the married life of Will and Ellie (swoon), and the rest of the Lacey clan. These people all have color, life, dreams and demons, plans and flaws. Place all of this wonderful, character-driven story into the rich historical context of Elizabeth's Court - and Raleigh's explorations - and you've got the makings of an amazing historical journey. I read this in a day, devouring the story, and sighing mightily when I reached the end. Most definitely looking forward to The Rogue's Princess in January, when I can pick up the tale again, this time - apparently - following the fortunes of Turner. ( )
  RivkaBelle | Jun 15, 2012 |
Requesting a digital copy of The Queen’s Lady by Eve Edwards from the publisher was a departure for me. It didn’t appear to be the kind of novel I normally read but I had been reading so many dark and twisty novels recently that I decided I needed to mix it up a bit.

The Queen’s Lady is Book #2 in The Lacey Chronicles; however, I found it worked quite well as a stand-alone novel. I was also pleasantly surprised because it was not only a lot of fun to read but it had a very nice plot. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=3622. ( )
  PopcornReads | Apr 16, 2012 |
This is a YA historical romance that reads like an adult historical romance without the sex. The main characters are eighteen years old but come across as being in their twenties or so. I actually was quite surprised when I read their ages half way through the book. Other than the age and references of sexual relations in the past, I would have thought this was adult. This isn't a slight, but be aware there wasn't a different feel for me. The characters behaved as adults and not eighteen years olds, no matter the time period.

I did enjoy this book. My only concern was age and feel of the book. I was invested in the story, wanted to know what was going to happen, and there is love angst. The writing is smooth, the pacing is just right, and the characters likable. I would be interested in reading more from this author.

If you are a historical romance fan I would recommend reading this book. ( )
  Urbanfan | Apr 15, 2012 |

In 1584, widowed eighteen-year-old Lady Jane Rievaulx enters into service in the court of Queen Elizabeth, where she meets again the dashing James Lacey with whom she was once in love, but although he cannot deny his fascination with Jane, he is dealing with the demons of war and feels unworthy of her love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,423,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible