The House at Tyneford: A Novel by Natasha…

The House at Tyneford: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Natasha Solomons

Member:NancyNo5
Title:The House at Tyneford: A Novel
Authors:Natasha Solomons
Info:Plume (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:chick-lit, historical-fiction

The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons (2010)

English (51)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  English (55)
Lovely novel and a real step up from her first book which was charming but a bit slight. I liked the subtle nods to other big-house novels - Rebecca and Jane Eyre and the story it told was really unique. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This is basically Downton Abbey with a Jewish twist, which means (a) it is often ridiculous and (b) I ate it up with a spoon. Don't expect to be surprised, because Solomons does love her foreshadowing, but I nevertheless found it nearly impossible to put down. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I read this book a few years ago and remember really liking it.

It's quite lyrical and twee and sweet, and really charming. A couple of people have said they didn't like it but I found it really readable. Elsie is a cool character and provides us with an outsider's perspective on life in an English manor.

I found it quite easy to read and I do recall staying up quite late to finish this book.

I don't know that I agree with parts of the ending, but I like all of the characters, I liked their character developments. I really liked the atmosphere that Solomons created, even if it wasn't perfect.

I thought it was a really solid book. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
This is a beautifully written novel. In it, we hear the story of Elise Landau, a young Jewish woman who has grown up in the thick of the artistic and cultural scene in Vienna, her mother a wonderful opera singer and her father a published novelist. But with the present threat of an uncertain future, and the looming threat of a second World War, it is determined that Elise's sister Margot will go to America with her husband Richard, and that Elise will go to England and become a housemaid to ensure her safety. And so begins the novel proper, as Elise arrives in Tyneford, the home of the Rivers family, and her destiny is shaped.

This novel was a pleasure to read. The characters were well drawn, and Elise intrigued me. Her experience of war and the observations of her change in circumstances, her new relationships, and the way she slowly adapts despite her immense sadness and longing for mother Anna, father Julian and sister Margot, makes for great storytelling and enjoyable reading. Not a novel to rush but to luxuriate in and be moved by the love, change and sadness experienced.

This author really does have a beautiful way with language too, her descriptions of the Dorset coast and the influence of the sea and landscape on Elise and the other Tyneford residents really makes an impact on the reader. I will now go back and read the author's debut novel, Mr Rosenblum's List. ( )
  LindsaysLibrary | Aug 19, 2016 |
I'm glad I picked up this little gem of a historical novel. It takes place during an inherently interesting period of time, and the internal transformation of the narrator from desperate refugee to mistress of her own life is the heart of the novel. The setting is almost a character unto itself - I feel like I spent time at Tyneford by the end. ( )
  duchessjlh | Aug 15, 2016 |
For Mr. S
When I close my eyes I see Tyneford House.

In the spring of 1938 Elise Landau arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay. A bright young thing from Vienna forced to become a parlour-maid, she knows nothing about England, except that she won't like it. As servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn, Elise wears her mother's pearls beneath her uniform, and causes outrage by dancing with a boy called Kit. But war is coming and the world is changing, and Elise must change with it.

At Tyneford she learns that you can be more than one person - and that you can love more than once.

"It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau realizes her only means of escape is to advertise her services as a domestic servant in England. Fate brings her ad to the attention of Christopher Rivers, handsome scion of the aristocratic Rivers family and master of Tyneford. An anxious Elise arrives at Tyneford and immediately falls under its spell. When Christopher's young son, Kit, returns home, the two strike up an unlikely friendship that will change Tyneford--and Elise--forever"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible