The House at Tyneford: A Novel by Natasha…

The House at Tyneford: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Natasha Solomons

Member:NancyNo5
Title:The House at Tyneford: A Novel
Authors:Natasha Solomons
Info:Plume (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:chick-lit, historical-fiction

The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons (2010)

English (53)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (57)
I think I've got to the stage where I'd read anything Natasha Solomons wrote, irrespective of the subject. This is a historical romance which ordinarily I wouldn't gravitate towards, but as usual she is able to inject a bit of magic into something I might otherwise expect to be boring. What I particularly liked about this was the fact that it's set in a location within a stone's throw of where I live, and though I've never visited the actual village I really must put that right.

What I found particularly striking about this book was the way it went in directions I didn't expect. About halfway through I was so sure I knew how the relationship between Elise and Kit would play out, and what would happen right at the end, that I would have put my mortgage on it. Had I done so I would be living on the street right now, because this is one book not afraid of swerving around literary cliches and it has a grown-up attitude to what constitutes a happy ending. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jan 12, 2017 |
As I'm currently watching the second season of "Downton Abbey" on PBS, this novel fit quite well with my current mind set.
The story begins in Vienna, where our main character Elise Landau is living the good life with her family. Her mother is a singer and her father is an author and they decide to send Elise, who is 19, to England to escape the occupation of Austria by the Nazis. The family is Jewish and they plan to eventually meet up in America when the rest of the family can secure visas.
Elise is able to secure a job as a parlor maid in a grand estate in Tyneford on the coast of britain and the story unfolds from there.
The author's descriptions of the characters and the settings transport you to that place and time and really make this an enjoyable read. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Lovely novel and a real step up from her first book which was charming but a bit slight. I liked the subtle nods to other big-house novels - Rebecca and Jane Eyre and the story it told was really unique. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This is basically Downton Abbey with a Jewish twist, which means (a) it is often ridiculous and (b) I ate it up with a spoon. Don't expect to be surprised, because Solomons does love her foreshadowing, but I nevertheless found it nearly impossible to put down. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I read this book a few years ago and remember really liking it.

It's quite lyrical and twee and sweet, and really charming. A couple of people have said they didn't like it but I found it really readable. Elsie is a cool character and provides us with an outsider's perspective on life in an English manor.

I found it quite easy to read and I do recall staying up quite late to finish this book.

I don't know that I agree with parts of the ending, but I like all of the characters, I liked their character developments. I really liked the atmosphere that Solomons created, even if it wasn't perfect.

I thought it was a really solid book. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
For Mr. S
When I close my eyes I see Tyneford House.

In the spring of 1938 Elise Landau arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay. A bright young thing from Vienna forced to become a parlour-maid, she knows nothing about England, except that she won't like it. As servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn, Elise wears her mother's pearls beneath her uniform, and causes outrage by dancing with a boy called Kit. But war is coming and the world is changing, and Elise must change with it.

At Tyneford she learns that you can be more than one person - and that you can love more than once.

"It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau realizes her only means of escape is to advertise her services as a domestic servant in England. Fate brings her ad to the attention of Christopher Rivers, handsome scion of the aristocratic Rivers family and master of Tyneford. An anxious Elise arrives at Tyneford and immediately falls under its spell. When Christopher's young son, Kit, returns home, the two strike up an unlikely friendship that will change Tyneford--and Elise--forever"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible