Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2011)

by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (600)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (611)
This book was given to me with no information and I went in with no expectations. That is the best way to enter this book. I read several reviews where people based their critiques on what they thought the book would be about due to the cover art (which is amazing.)

First of all, this is a young adult book. That is the audience aimed at, which in no way should deter an adult reader. The story is multifaceted. There are elements of fantasy and time travel woven into a contemporary setting. By the end of the book, the contemporary setting is all but abandoned as the characters head into their next adventure - and the second book, out but as not read by me.

The setting is initially in the United States but switches to an isolated island in Wales as the story unfolds. There are a few stops and starts in the early part of the novel as some characters are introduced and then are just as quickly left behind (i.e. the two welsh "gangsta rappers"). That is one editing fault - had that been caught in the editing process and left out altogether, the book would not have suffered at all.

The strength of the story is in Jacob and the peculiar children. They all had wonderful and interesting peculiar talents and I think we will find out more about each child's background as the series unfolds. Some were touched on briefly but the driving force in this initial book was to introduce the concept of the peculiar's, Jacob and his grandfather Abe, the imrynes and how the time loop works. Also introduced are the villains of the piece, the hollow gasts and the wights (for Game of Thrones fans, exciting to see the wights make an appearance.)

After I finished the book, I asked the person who gave it to me what they thought. Their response was that at first, they didn't care for the book, but they kept going back to it because they were intrigued by what would happen next to the characters. My thoughts are this: accept the book for what it is without any preconceived notions based on the photographs, accept that this is a book aimed at young adults but enjoyable for any age and accept that the this story is really an opener for what may be a very interesting series.

I liked the book myself but reviews seem polarized - you either love it or you hate it. Go into it with an open mind. For those that enjoy the time travel genre, this is another take on it. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
Based on all the hype I thought I would love this book. It wasn't bad by any means, but I didn't find it to be anything special either. I actually liked the concept of the book more than the story. The author wrote a plot around some antique photos, which is a unique approach. However I found that I didn't particularly like any of the characters and although the book ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, I'm not inspired to read the sequel to find out what happens. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I'm unable ro recommend this book. ( )
1 vote Kelly_Mills | Dec 22, 2014 |
For me the best part of the book was the beginning, when everything was a mystery. I loved all those pictures of the children that Jacobs grandfather showed him. How he first believed his grandfathers stories and about the monsters and then as he grew up lost faith in them. And WHAM: Suddenly his grandfather is murdered and he sees a monster and he travelers to an island to find out the real story. That was the best part. The rest finding all the peculiar children and the Bird and hooking up with Emma (his grandfathers ex, a bit weird) and saving them all and deciding to stay, well it was good, but not as interesting to read as the beginning. The beginning didn’t feel like YA, the rest of the book felt much more YA.

Still it was a good book. My younger self would probably have loved it. And I will read the next book as soon as I have time for it!
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
This book surprised me as it was not what I was expecting. The description of the island Cairnholm was beautiful and had me wishing it was a real place to add to my "Places I'd Like to Go but Probably Never Will" list. I really liked Ransom Riggs style of writing and the story itself was innovative and held my attention throughout the whole book. The photos were a unconventional but surprisingly great addition to the story. ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
Did not love this as much as everyone said I would. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,496,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible