Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

by Ransom Riggs

Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (1)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (debbiereads)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (1,022)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,043)
This book was going to be a three-star novel, until about the last 200-250 pages (digital version). The end was very exciting and makes the whole thing worth reading. It took awhile to warm up to Jacob and the other peculiars, but once the story finally gets going and the questions are answered they become very interesting. Looking forward to finding out what happens in the next book. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
I am a bit puzzled by the negative reviews of this book but everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion and we all look for different things in what we read. Maybe I was in the right frame of mind for this book. First off, I appreciated the wit and heart of this story. Some of the one liners were laugh out loud funny. The photos were fascinating and I looked forward to each new one. AS for the story, I am not really giving away anything to tell you that this is obviously the first installment in a much larger tale, in which the fate of the world will hang upon the success of an intrepid group of very special children, that will span great distances, cross dimensions and flow through worm-holes in time. But I think it is more than that. It is also a story about regret, loss, and the choices we make and how we deal with the consequences of those choices. I am looking forward to future installments. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
I'm giving up on this one for now. Can't get into it.
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
I'm not sure why I held off reading this book for so long, because it's exactly the kind of young fantasy (in the same vein as Harry Potter) that I very much enjoy reading. Riggs' writing is slightly less enchanting that other authors writing in his same ouevre, but I'm going to let him get away with his sometimes slightly juvenile prose for the sake of his highly intriguing narrative. He draws us into the story of the Peculiar Children and their headmistress, Miss Peregrine, through the eyes of Jacob, a 16-year old boy with no idea who he is and no idea that the stories of the Children as told to him by his grandfather are entirely true. The majority of this first novel in the series is spent with Jacob trying to unravel his grandfather's cryptic last words, Riggs' entry into the grander story arc of the coming battle between the Children and the hollowgast sets the readers up nicely for the next books in the series. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
I was first intriqued by the cover and the fact that my daughter brought the book to my attention. Every book she advises me on - she is always right - I love it, however, she did not care for this book. I loved it. Part fantasy - the vintage pictures just enhance the story - I couldn't put it down. I am reading the second book now and just ordered book 3. Easy summer reading! ( )
  ChrisCaz | Feb 23, 2021 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,919,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible