Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Monsters, Mystery, Orphans, Paranormal, Photography, Supernatural, Time Travel, Wales, WWII, Young Adult, Florida

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (630)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (641)
Not entirely what I expected. Yet quite delightful all the same. A mixture of monsters, time-travel and some very special children this book appealed to me on a several levels.

When Jacob's grandfather is killed, the young teen is left with a cryptic message that he must unravel. So with a bit of work, he and his father are off across the sea, to the island of Cairnhern. An island with only one phone( no cell service), and everything runs on generators with nothing on at night. The home his grandfather lived in there is a bombed out wreck and impossible for anyone to still be there. Or at least, no one ordinary....

I loved the different characters in this book. There is a very diverse range of personalities here! The only thing I did not like in this regards are the pictures of Emma as they don't add up together for how she seems in the book. The pictures show someone in their twenties yet Emma is a young teen girl. One person I wanted to get more from would be Miss Peregrine herself. I feel like there is more to her that this first book only begins to get at.

The pictures really help with the story and add a unique aspect. They really set the mood. The one thing I seemed to miss though, was the twins in white. Who where they in the book? With two pictures of them I wanted to read about them more especially as those actually kind of wigged me out a bit.

The writing style is simplistic yet enjoyable, making this a fast read. There are a couple references that make me wonder if the author is a fan of anime. First a Homunculi=Full Metal Alchemist, and then Hollows which REALLY reminded my of Bleach by both name, actions, and descriptions.

I was quite happy reading this book and am eager to get my hands on the next one quite soon! ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |
This book has been on my to-read list for ages so I was stoked when one of my book clubs chose it as one of our monthly books. Finally! I had a reason to read it!! Other than kick ass cover and title, I really had no idea what this book was about. I'm awful about reading book descriptions, I just knew there was a lot of hype and the cover art looked cool. I enjoyed the book, but probably would have enjoyed it even better had it not been hyped up soo much. Honestly, the pictures in the book make up about 80% of the wow factor. The story follows a young boy who, in a strange turn of events, finds out that all the tall tals his grandfather told him when he was a child are actually true (very reminiscent of Tim Burton's Big Fish). After his grandfather is brutally murdered by a monster, Jacob goes through a period where he thinks he's crazy, but then makes up his mind to get to the truth. He convinces his father to go with him to this tiny little European island to find his grandfather's roots, an orphanage for refugees. Soon Jacob finds out that his father meant an entirely different type of refugee (peculiars), and maybe they still might be alive. It's a little slow going, but the pictures (all real) help build up excitement. Interesting book, but I'm unsure if I'll pick up the sequel or graphic novel. ( )
  ecataldi | May 8, 2015 |
Good read, easy but stimulating, I loved the pictures which broke up the story and offered a visual glimpse into the strange world ( )
  Helen.Hunter | Apr 25, 2015 |
RGG: A novel of adolescent self-discovery set in the horror genre. Fascinating, creepy. A great eighth-grade read! Reading Level: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 23, 2015 |
simple this book was an easy yet enjoyable book. I did think it was kinda weird was the hole dating my grandfather ex girlfriend but I also rely liked the pictures. ( )
  lululovebaby | Apr 22, 2015 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,189,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible