Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Monsters, Mystery, Orphans, Paranormal, Photography, Supernatural, Time Travel, Wales, WWII, Young Adult, Florida

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (771)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (784)
Wow what an extraordinary tale & fabulous photographs! I was so surprised to learn that most of the photos are actually authentic snapshots! The story was so great in itself but the photos just brought it to life. The combination was just brilliant! It will definitely go on my favorites list and I cant wait to read the next in series! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the writing style and I loved the incorporation of the vintage photographs. The story is unique and interesting. There were a lot of characters and you dont really get to know too many of them, but I think that helps sent up more stories for the future.

I did think it was a little weird that the main female character was the romantic interest of the main male character's grandfather and then later become the romantic interest of the main male character. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Aug 14, 2016 |
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children started out with a story of a remembered childhood, quickly switched to a compelling mystery, and then descended down a rabbit hole of untold secrets. Even after a lot of the secrets are revealed there are still little mysteries, and a whole lot of action going on to keep you spell bound to the end.

But the thing that really touched me about this book was how it changed my thinking about the "young adult genre". This book touched on many adult themes. War, death, murder, adultery, and more. In fact it had more adult themes than many of the books I've read that are earmarked for adults.

Also the writing style, and the way it works the pictures into the writing is quite unique. The creepy pictures add to the tone of the story.

Overall one of my favorite reads this year and highly recommended. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
Very enjoyable story about a boy who doesn't quite fit in trying to unravel the mysterious last words of his grandfather. This was great for someone who likes to read a little fantasy now and then but isn't a real sci-fi or fantasy nerd. At first I thought the use of the photographs was a bit gimmicky, but as the story went on I really liked having them. I was actually wishing for more--the ones that were used all got described in a fair amount of detail in the text (the text could stand alone without the photos) but it would have been nice if there were more that weren't as integral to the story but still contributed to the atmosphere of the novel. I also liked how the story ended--it wrapped up nicely and satisfactorily but left a little bit open for a sequel. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Aug 10, 2016 |
What a fantastic start to a series!

Even though I wanted to go in with little expectations, the hype around this series was just too real. This book was creepy and mysterious yet still had me grinning as I got to know the peculiars. The fantastical elements were intertwined so well with the plot and it has me so excited for both the movie and the rest of the series! ( )
  bubblyair | Aug 10, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,420,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible