Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Monsters, Mystery, Orphans, Paranormal, Photography, Supernatural, Time Travel, Wales, WWII, Young Adult, Florida

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (834)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (851)
When Jacob's grandfather dies off unnatural and suspicious causes, he decided to look into his grandfather's stories about the place that he grew up; Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children. Upon visiting, he discover the children are peculiar because they have super powers. Will Jacob prove the cause of his grandfather's death or will it remain a mystery? This book is great for upper elementary students who want to read books that are not the norm. This story displays the themes of courage, role models, ad the supernatural. ( )
  AshlynWilliams | Mar 22, 2017 |
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is an original and compelling read. Ransom Riggs, the author, has accompanied his narrative part of the story with images of "peculiar children" he has found in junk shops, at flea markets, and in the albums of strangers and friends. The photographs add greatly to the story and act as pictures of actual characters and events portrayed in the book.

This book will appeal to fans of history, especially WW II. This book will appeal to readers who enjoy horror and tales of the supernatural. This book can serve as a model for the way that real world artifacts can act in concert with the imagination to create a whole new product. Fans of Stephen King may find this book an enjoyable reading experience. ( )
  mcintorino | Mar 16, 2017 |
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, a fantasy novel, is the story of Jacob, a teenager who discovers, over the course of a series of increasingly dangerous adventures, that his grandfather's stories of monsters and children with strange powers are actually true. The novel it flips back and forth between past and present, and as Jacob learns old truths about his grandfather and new truths about himself, and the real dangers of the world. One of the most interesting things about the novel is that the “peculiar” children are based on old novelty photographs (which are presented to the reader). I found the novel to be fun, fast paced, inventive and a great book for a family read. I look forward to reading the additional novels in this series. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 16, 2017 |
As a child, Jacob was told many stories by his grandfather, Abraham. He talked about the peculiar children he knew in a special home run by Miss Peregrine. As Jacob gets older, he doubts his grandfather's stories, until Abraham is killed and with his dying breath he tells Jacob to find the bird in the loop. Jacob sees a strange creature that no-one else can see.

No-one believes Jacob. Thinking he is grief stricken and in shock, his parents send him to therapy with Dr Golan. But, when Jacob's Aunt gives him a book that his grandfather wanted him to have, he finds a letter that just may prove that Abraham wasn't crazy and nether is Jacob.

It took me a while to finish the book because I had some other commitments (and I confess I got a bit hooked on Netflix as well.) I swayed back and forth with this book, and since I watched the movie when I was half finished with the book (something I don't usually do) I think I got sidetracked.
However, the idea of the peculiar children really appealed to me. The photographs in the book were very interesting, and a great idea of Riggs to use as a writing prompt. It brought together two of my loves - archives and reading.

This is a great little book for your young adult or pre-teen. You could even read it together as a family book. It can start a lot of discussions about how people who were different were treated, how they are treated now and how we should move forward.
If you liked Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Coraline, or Frankenstein, I think you will enjoy this book.

Join the conversation at my blog discussing the differences between the book and the film:
http://bookscraftsprettythings.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/miss-peregrines-home-for-... ( )
  AButchersWife | Mar 7, 2017 |
I loved this book. I've read it twice now, more because by the time book three came out and I actually got around to reading it I needed a refresher, but that's not the point. The point is that I happily re-read this book a second time.

I loved this book because it was original, like nothing I had ever read before. Individually each aspect has been seen in some form or another: time loops, suspended time, time travel, peculiar children, even ymbrynes in a way. But all together these components built an original and clever tale of the journey of a troupe of unusually gifted children across war torn Europe.

It's not hard to fall in love with the characters, the adorably quirky Horace to the brilliant and invisible Millard; fiery Emma and insecure protagonist Jacob. It's not hard to hate the Wights that afflict our heroes as they race across a worn torn United Kingdom on the tentative hope that they will find help at their unknown destination.

All in all this book was a lot of fun while still being dark and distressing and I hope they re-make the movie to properly represent the storyline.

AnaThaylen | Mar 3, 2017 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,258,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible