Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:The_Hibernator
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fantasy, Gothic, Horror, Monsters, Mystery, Orphans, Paranormal, Photography, Supernatural, Time Travel, Wales, WWII, Young Adult, Florida

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (589)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (600)
LOVE, LOVE LOVE this book. Finished in two days then bought the next book. Unique story, interesting characters and even pictures! ( )
  artwench | Oct 17, 2014 |
When I started flipping every
pages of the book I thought
Jacob was a psycho just like
his grandpa Abraham. But as
he discovered everything
about himself, his grandpa,
and the peculiar thing. He
decided he wasn't gone
insane.

And then he learned about
Miss Peregrine being an
ymbryne, the loop, the other
peculiar children, the
hollowgasts, the wights, and
their history.

And then the wights
kidnapped their ymbryne and
the peculiars saved her. But
the wights arrested Miss
Peregrine in a bird form.
Since the headmistress
couldn't reset the loop in that
situation. The peculiars were
forced to abandon their safe
haven and traveled to another
loop to seek help.

went to an adventure?
They were so adorable
especially the floating girl
with a tiara, Olive. The boy
who could see the hollows,
Jacob. The boy who had
visions and dreams, Horace.
And all the peculiars!!

I had confusion whether the
story was psychological or a
fantasy one, at first. But I
don't care as long as I enjoyed
the book.

Two thumbs up for Ransom
Riggs! ( )
  Perco | Oct 11, 2014 |
Interesting premise. Like many of the other reviewers, I was drawn to the pictures. It was a good quick read, but I did not develop a strong enough attachment to the characters to want to know what happens to them in the future. I probably won't continue with this series. ( )
  londalocs | Oct 9, 2014 |
Riggs' approach to writing this book is really unique and entertaining. The characters are loveable and the story is fun. I'm looking forward to reading the second book. Just an FYI, this book is a perfect example as to why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
I'm borrowing Amazon's synopsis because today I am lazy:

As a kid, Jacob formed a special bond with his grandfather over his bizarre tales and photos of levitating girls and invisible boys. Now at 16, he is reeling from the old man's unexpected death. Then Jacob is given a mysterious letter that propels him on a journey to the remote Welsh island where his grandfather grew up. There, he finds the children from the photographs--alive and well--despite the islanders’ assertion that all were killed decades ago. As Jacob begins to unravel more about his grandfather’s childhood, he suspects he is being trailed by a monster only he can see. A haunting and out-of-the-ordinary read, debut author Ransom Rigg’s first-person narration is convincing and absorbing, and every detail he draws our eye to is deftly woven into an unforgettable whole.

This is one of those books I bought solely based on the title and the cover. I had no idea what it was about but had to have it anyway. Serendipity is at times a lovely lovely lady. To put it bluntly, I was floored by this story -- beautiful and frightening, sweet and haunting, charming and melancholy, all at the same time. Plus a cliff-hanger ending that manages to wrap up enough loose story threads for the reader to feel satisfied.

Don't forget to read the afterword about the vintage photographs scattered throughout the book. It's fascinating. ( )
  avanta7 | Oct 5, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,361,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible