Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (580)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (591)
Both the vintage photos and the plot line are quite interesting. It definitely appealed to my often twisted imagination. I'll be curious to see what Tim Burton does with this. ( )
  macjest | Sep 10, 2014 |
I usually flip through a book a little bit before reading it. The first thing that drew me in about this book were the unusual vintage photographs that he used to create this story. Many people felt his use of the photographs was contrived, but I found it intriguing. I looked forward to turning the page to see how he matched up storyline with photographs.

In a nutshell, Jacob's grandfather has been telling him stories his whole life about these mysterious children and the monsters he has been running from. Jacob doesn't take it seriously until an event forces him to look for answers. Towards the end, he figures out how he fits into the whole scheme of things and that, no, he is not crazy.

From the very beginning I was riveted and could not put down the book. I wanted to know if it was all real. Who were these kids? And how did these strange and bizarre photographs fit? I don't usually read books that border on the dark and have an element of horror to them, but I think the photographs kept me reading. I give a 5th star to the author for his creative use of them. Many people are equating this story to that of x-men, but I'm not seeing it. This has more of a 19th century feel to it. The time of the freak shows where the unexplained happened. Others are complaining that the story and writing style are watered down, but I think these people are used to the more dark and dramatized paranormal stories. Watered down once in a while is not a bad thing! Sure, there are a few holes in the story. But this did not keep me from wanting to keep turning the pages to the end.

Would I recommend this book? YES. For ages 16 and up due to language, sexuality, horror, violence and gruesomeness. ( )
  mmcbeth29 | Sep 5, 2014 |
In Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children the story begins with the main character Jacob thinking back to the stories his grandfather told him about the Welsh island where he grew up as a child.
However, as Jacob grows older he merely dismisses his grandpa's stories as fiction and thinks that they were an allegory of his past. He thinks the "Monsters" were actually Nazi soldiers that were invading Poland at the time. However, when his grandfather dies and Jacob finds a mysterious letter, he begins to have doubts. His parents think he might be going insane for seeing strange creatures in the woods the day his grandfather dies. Moreover,when he and his father go on a vacation to the area where his grandfather grew up,he realizes that his grandfather's stories weren't just fables after all. Jacob finds that the peculiar children his grandfather told stories about are real children, and still alive. And so together he and his new peculiar friends fight the monsters that threaten the extinction of all peculiar kind.

I think the story was very thrilling and exciting, and the pictures in the book were a very unique edition to the story. However,there were times when it looked like the author was trying to think of any excuse to put a picture in, but overall it made sense. I also thought that there seemed to be too many characters that played a main role in the story. All in all, great sci-fi thriller for the casual reader. I will definately read the sequel! ( )
1 vote johnn.b4 | Sep 1, 2014 |
3.5 stars. I liked the story, but I found that while some of the pictures seemed to fit in with the flow of the storyline, others just seemed thrown in randomly. They were talked about, but some were talked about as pictures and others just seemed to be put in as the scene passed through. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book can be predictable, but the photos and visuals make the story larger than life. Well-written, and the style is never boring. I actually couldn't put the book down at times, and read the book until I fell asleep some nights. ( )
  Emanbella | Aug 13, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible