Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (822)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (838)
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

I enjoyed this book for what it is, a fun, quirky story with an interesting conceit of the odd “historical” photographs that help introduce the characters.

The backstory and universe are interesting, many of the characters are fun and a bit creepy and the photos are fun and add a nice otherworldly feel to it all. You can definitely tell this was aimed at younger readers though.

Overall it was a fun and enjoyable if not particularly challenging and you had to overlook a lot of plot holes and convenient actions that are needed to let the story proceed...which all makes it sound like a very bad book, but if you go in expecting light, inconsequential story you can have fun with it.
I will definitely give the second book a chance and see how and where the story goes. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jan 16, 2017 |
Maybe, I just didn't want to like this enough...

Book Title: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Narration: Jesse Bernstein
Series: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children #1
Genre: YA, Mystery, Fantasy
Source: Audiobook (Library)

OVERALL RATING: 2.7/5 STARS

Find my full review with video included for book song at Leah's Bookish Obsession

♪♫MY PICK FOR BOOK THEME SONG♫♪
♫Unbreakable by Firelight --It's kind of for Emma…I liked her best and she's a strong, resilient girl. I think I might have liked this more if it was from her pov, at least partially so.♫

⇝Ratings Breakdown⇜

Originality: 5/5
Book Cover: 4/5
Narration: 4/5
Ending: 3/5 Cliffhanger: Mostly

Will I continue this series? I don't believe so…

⇝My Thoughts⇜

The guy narrating this is quite phenomenal, but despite that I still couldn't relate to him. He does different voices and accents so freaking good. He just made all the kids in this seem so juvenile. Then there is the writing…with the odd assortment of words, or the peculiar (it seems to fit) usage of words that constantly threw me off, I couldn't stay focused on the story for nothing. I also couldn't care.

The audiobook version that I received from the library came with a pdf that included pictures, but I never did get around to looking at them. Maybe, they would have helped sparked my interest in this, I guess I'll never know.
⇝Sex Factor⇜ Not a factor. ( )
  Leah422 | Jan 13, 2017 |
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Four stars! Sixteen-year-old Jacob Portman has just lost his grandfather and he's devastated. So devastated that while he was dying, Jacob thought he saw a monster, a real, ugly, scary monster, just like the ones his grandfather used to make up stories about. As a way to try to move on, he convinces his parents to let him go to a far away island with an orphanage where his grandpa spent his childhood. The thing is, when he's there he realizes that maybe the orphanage is not truly abandoned, and that somehow the peculiar children that lived there are still alive.

I loved the premise of this book, so I was a bit disappointed when at first I was completely bored and a little annoyed with Jacob. But then page 120 happened and everything changed. Although the story was not as great as I thought it would be, I had a great time reading it, I loved its characters and I really want to know what comes next, so I'll be sure to read the next one! ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
No. No no no no no no no no no no no. A book should actually start when it starts, not on page 110. Start on page 1. There is no requirement that you make the reader pay a sacrifice in terms of boredom before he is allowed to enjoy himself. WTF? I started skipping ahead at page 87, and in retrospect I’m surprised my patience held out that long. How does crap like this get published? ( )
  Carnophile | Jan 9, 2017 |
Before I read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children I'd heard it was the next Harry Potter. I suppose that's a valid claim, since they are both YA novels with odd schools requiring something akin to magic just to get there. I haven't seen the Peregrine film yet, but plan to soon. The Rotten Tomatoes ratings are above average, but not as high as the first Harry Potter film. It will be interesting to see how far this idea can go.

I enjoyed this novel, especially Jacob's relationships, first with his grandfather then with Emma, one of the students at the Peregrine school. Jacob starts out as a lonely sixteen year old who has trouble fitting in. He only has one good friend and is working at a job he hates because it is his family's business. He loves his grandfather, but long since lost his belief in the wild stories the old man tells. Then a tragic incident causes Jacob to be on the other side of unbelievable stories.

His story is so strange he doesn't believe it himself. On the advice of a therapist he's been seeing, Jacob goes on a trip with his father to a remote island that was central to his grandfather's tales. Here's where he meets Emma and the rest of the peculiar children. Jacob's relationship with Emma also feels real, with the appropriate awkwardness for two teenagers who like each other, but have their own backgrounds and agendas.

The plot includes time manipulation, which is, in this case, a complicated form of time travel. Every time travel book I've ever read has some conflicts and this one is no exception. Overall it's a fun read, with a well written plot. I recommend it to anyone who likes YA novels.

Steve Lindahl – author of Hopatcong Vision Quest, White Horse Regressions, and Motherless Soul ( )
  SteveLindahl | Jan 4, 2017 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,656,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible