Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (585)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (596)
This was bad. Oh my, just bad.

Mr. Riggs simply cannot write. Fumbling language, plain descriptions, and painfully dull and unnecessary dialogue, these make for a book that I can only iterate as 'bad'.

**SPOILER**

Then the catastrophic narrative descends into time travel which just left me groaning with every word. We even get the old "Not where, but WHEN"!

Oh God, make it stop. Please tell me this did not make the NYT Bestsellers list. I have to know a world does not exist where that is possible. Please, oh please.

We live in that world, friends.

I want to go on and on about what was wrong with this, but to what end? I am so tired of the garbage that keeps surfacing in "literature" that I feel like there's no point in fighting it anymore. Books get through that should never be published and it makes me feel like I have book-burner tendencies. Like I'm the bad guy here.

Whatever.

I'm tired.

DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

His whole life Jacob has heard the most wonderful stories about his grandfather youth on an island of the coast of Wales. He's had different ways interpreting them, in the end settling on that's what they were, stories/tales his grandfather made to cope with his past. But when his grandfather is murdered almost in front of Jacob, he receives more than subtle hints that he should go and find them, Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children.

I'd wanted to read this book for a long time, but never seemed to find the time to actually do so. The Bout of Books read-a-thon that's now taking place was the perfect moment to finally read it. I'm glad I did (and even better, I already have the sequel, and I won't keep that book waiting nearly as long).

I particularly liked the beginning of the story. The hints, the tension, the feeling there must be something to it. The island, one phone, no mobile phones, no electricity (except for some generators), a deadly bog that was used for human sacrifices and an abandoned orphanage, bombed and almost forgotten by everyone on the island. It quite sets the scene. And just when you're about to decide that it were tales after all...

I really liked the world that was created in contrast to that described above. And the pictures, of course. It's the second book I've read in about a week that has an important part told in pictures/drawings and I think it's a great addition to the story. Those really were the parts that stood out for me.

Because when I start thinking about the rest, things are slightly different.

Did I really like Miss Peregrine? - Well, not particularly.

Any of the other characters besides Jacob? - They all felt a bit flat but for their peculiar abilities. I'd liked to know more about them.

Did I like the sort of romance? No, not really.

And I was a bit disappointed by the

hollowgast

and how that was the real threat and everything. It was just not that original, and turned a great part of the second half into any action scene ever.

Then, why four stars, I hear you ask. Mostly, because by the time these things above happened, I was already sold. So I enjoyed reading (even the last part) so much that I couldn't do anything else than reward this book four stars. I'm looking forward to the sequel, hope the characters will develop some more and it will all be mysterious once more!

One little note I couldn't help but notice: Jacob states to his dad that he's very sensitive to sunburn, and his dad is okay with that. But wouldn't he have noticed this before now? I mean he's a stay-at-home dad and Florida (at least that's what they say) is a sunny place! ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
3 1/2 stars: Good.

----------------------

From the back cover: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of peculiar photographs. It all waits to be discovered, in an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets 16 year old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its decaying bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were most than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on the island for a good reason. And somehow--impossible--though it seems, they may still be alive.

_----------------------------

I enjoyed this book. The atmosphere is similar to a Tim Burton movie (which is coming out next year) and most of it had me very engaged. The photos do a lot to enhance the story and keep it interesting. My edition says the photographs are all real, from people's private collections. This was an interesting "hook" for me. Having said that, the last 75 pages (and this book ends at a somewhat cliffhanger) were too overblown and I am afraid that the sequel and the movie may be a bit "too much". Most of the book was just the right amount of bizarre and thrilling and intriguing to keep me very engaged to find out the next clue in the mystery of the peculiar children. ( )
  PokPok | Sep 22, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. Although I enjoyed the overall story line and writing style, I found it to be very dark, and dull at times. I was shocked that it was considered a children’s book, because the content would easily give any child nightmares. What I liked about this book was that it had pictures. Typically you don’t find many chapter books at this reading level that include pictures. The pictures were old photographs of characters in the book, and appeared every time a character was introduced. All the characters in the book were “peculiar,” which meant that they have special abilities, from invisibility to flying, to prophetic dreams, clown like features, and having multiple extra body parts. What was especially cool about the photos in the book is that they were real. As ridiculous as this seems, the author spent years trying to find pictures of children “floating” or doing other “peculiar” things, going from garage sales to dumps to find them. This shows that the author has a lot of dedication to his craft, which I appreciate.
One thing I didn’t like about this book was the plot. Although many parts were good, there were a lot of dull moments. For example, at one point the author describes several pictures in a trunk in great detail. Although I understand the importance of imagery and the value of detailed descriptions, I lost interest pretty quickly. If I lost interest, chances are that children will lose interest even more quickly. Despite this, the overall story and “big idea” were positive. I think the big idea can be described as making the best out of a difficult situation. The main character’s life completely changed in an instant, and he had to learn to deal with the reality that his life would never be the same. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 19, 2014 |
And I was so looking forward to a best-seller with actual fantasy elements. What I got was a great opening chapter followed by boredom and terrible romance. Abandoned. ( )
  Watry | Sep 18, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,982,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible