Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

Recently added bydrmom62, beata, Ott_Creath, MABoone, cray7887, private library, swingdancefan, ramelia, hdrussell
2011 (84) 2012 (51) 2013 (39) adventure (42) children (37) ebook (72) fantasy (484) fiction (487) gothic (52) horror (83) Kindle (53) monsters (105) mystery (133) novel (37) orphans (91) paranormal (158) photographs (95) photography (91) read (62) read in 2011 (45) science fiction (40) supernatural (124) teen (44) time travel (243) to-read (286) Wales (131) WWII (160) YA (220) young adult (272) young adult fiction (41)
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (571)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (582)
After seeing some less than positive reviews on here, I was doubtful about this book. I'm glad I read it anyways! WOW! I am putting book 2 on my list of to read. Riggs does a great job of mixing reality with magical. The mystery, adventure, creepiness, magical elements all rolled up into one amazing story. Jacob has always heard stories from his grandpa about some magical island that he used to live on during WWII, but as Jacob got older, he dismissed his grandpa's stories as just that - stories. Well, after some major events, Jacob goes on an adventure he will not soon forget. An absolute must read! Great for grades 4 and up! ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
This book was so cool...The old photographs really add to the story. Labeling it "young adult" seems really limiting, I think the appeal is much broader ( )
  NathaliePolanco | Jun 30, 2014 |
Actually better than I had expected in a "Lost Horizon" sort of way. Nothing offensive--go ahead and buy. ( )
  FaithLibrarian | Jun 30, 2014 |
“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was."

I seriously don't know the words to say to explain how great this book was! I love the writing. I love how the creepy and disturbing yet really vital pictures helped in the development of the book.
The uniqueness of the story, the characters and their development, the twists and the mysteries are all worth it. Reading this book is quite and adventure and I loved it! A must-read! ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
A unique fantasy told by means of archival photographs (of 'peculiar' children and more).

After witnessing his grandfather's violent death, Jacob and his father retreat to an island in Wales; Jacob, drawn by messages from his grandfather, his Dad by the study of birds. Once on the Island, Jacob discovers another world, set in a time warp, of an orphanage with 'special' children (mimicking the effects shown in the photos) and uniquely ghastly monsters in pursuit. Well-written, wholly original and well-paced. One hopes Mr. Riggs writes more books! ( )
  mjspear | Jun 25, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

Riggs deftly moves between fantasy and reality, prose and photography — the children of the orphanage were inspired by actual vintage photographs that are sprinkled throughout the book — to create an enchanting and at times positively terrifying story.

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Horner, DoogieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGurk, John J.Production managementsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, LaurieAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sleep is not, death is not;
Who seem to die live.
They are all vanishing,
Fleeing to fables,
Cannot be moored.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen. The first of these came as a terrible shock and, like anything that changes you forever, split my life into halves: Before and After. Like many of the extraordinary things to come, it involved my grandfather, Abraham Portman.
I slammed out of the Priest Hole and started walking, heading nowhere in particular. Sometimes you just need to go through a door.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication Number: 2010942876

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,236,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible