Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (851)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (868)
I think what I love most about this novel is the fact that the author took a bunch of random photos and connected them with an interesting tale. That idea alone makes this book cool. The story itself had some really neat ideas. I loved that Miss Peregrine was a bird who could fly between times. I also love the idea of stumbling into another time. With all that being said, I had a hard time staying interested in the book. My mind was constantly wandering which is preventing me from making this rating any higher. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
This was an okay book. If I'd been a teenager and reading it I probably would have loved it. As someone older than that it was okay.

It wasn't at all what I expected though so that's good. I think I expected a history about the home for peculiar children, but I didn't think it would be told the way it was.

The ending left a bit to be desired though. It definitely is obvious that there's more than one book. This book really can't stand on it's own because so little is wrapped up in this book (beyond the MC's family history) that it leaves a lot to be desired. I'll probably read the other books just to know what happens.

Overall it was a quick read (as in, less than a day), but it wasn't bad per se. I just wasn't the target audience. ( )
  Serenova_Phoenix | Jun 26, 2017 |
I love the idea: author uses authentic vintage photos and weaves a story around them. The effect of the book relies heavily on the photos (and a few letters) though, without which it wouldn't be as enchanting. There are times when it's like he just pulled that character out of thin air and made up a few requisite sentences or paragraphs of backstory just to support the photo and be able to work it into the narrative. But at least he chose the perfect genre, this mesh of fantasy/surreal/horror, to do it in. It kinda works. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is a 2013 Quirk Books publication.

I believe I have been rendered speechless.

‘Sleep is not, death is not;
Who seem to die live,
House you were born in,
Friends of your spring-time,
Old man and young maid,
Day's toil and it's guerdon,
They are all vanishing,
Fleeing to fables,
Cannot be moored.’
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jacob grew up listening to his grandfather’s fantastical stories, never fully believing them to be true, and eventually outgrowing them altogether, until his grandfather dies, and Jacob witnesses something that day he can’t fully explain, which causes his parents to seek professional help for him.

What Jacob sees on that day, prompts him to dig into his grandfather’s past, which is how he soon discovers ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children’, and realizes his grandfather’s stories were real after all.

From here the story hinges on the age old good vs evil theme with Jacob fighting off the supernatural ‘Wight’ who is out to find the ‘peculiars’. However, this is, in my opinion, simply the foundation upon which the most important theme is built upon.

Jacob’s ‘coming of age’ is a theme that hinges on the discovery of ‘who we are’ what we want to do or be, our dreams, or our calling, along with other large areas of importance, such as friendship, loyalty, and trust that are mingled in with the fantasy, supernatural, and adventure.

Of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention these incredible photographs and images included in the book. One reason it took me so long to read this book was because I spent so much time looking at the pictures, all of which are authentic. I was amazed by this collection, which greatly contributed to the artistic value of the story.

As most people know, young adult and ‘coming of age’ tales are not my favorite genres, for many reasons, but which books like this one, where the author’s imagination is mind boggling, the appeal is certainly universal.

The story does lag in some places, and the writing is somewhat jarring. It is well written, but it is a style I’m unaccustomed to, which made it slow going in some places. But, other than that, I was buckled in for the ride, and what a ride it was!

The story is dark and haunting, spectacularly creepy, but it's also extraordinary, touching, and entrancing.
This story is still swirling around in my head and will probably stay there for a while, as will those eerily effective photographs!

I’m hooked! I know the whole world has already read this series, but I waffled on it for a time, unsure if its content was for me or not. But, my husband, looking for something for my birthday back in 2016, picked this one up on a whim, probably because of that insane cover and figured it would challenge me, and so it did! It just took me a little time to warm up to the idea.
Hubby did good with this one!!

4 stars
22 likes ( )
  gpangel | Jun 24, 2017 |
Loved this story. Using the photos as inspiration for the characters was just perfect. I loved just staring at all the old photographs and studying them. I can't wait for the sequel.

It's so easy to fall in love with the children. So uniquely perfect in their own ways.
Love it! ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible