Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (708)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (721)
I absolutely adored this book. It was one that I didn't want to put down and if I could have I would have read all in one sitting. It's got action, it's got adventure, it's got supernatural, it's got demons, and it's got a bit or romance, it's perfect. Absolutely amazing and I can't wait to read the other two in the trilogy. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would. I HIGHLY recommend this book. I can't say enough good things. Loved, loved, loved it. ( )
  Beammey | Feb 13, 2016 |
For me, the best part of the book was the beginning when everything was a mystery. I loved all those pictures of the children that Jacobs grandfather showed him. How he first believed his grandfather's stories and about the monsters and then as he grew up lost faith in them. And WHAM: Suddenly Jacobs grandfather is murdered and he sees a monster and he travelers to an island to find out the real story. That was the best part. The rest finding all the peculiar children and the Bird and hooking up with Emma (his grandfather's ex, a bit weird) and saving them all and deciding to stay, well it was good, but not as interesting to read as the beginning. The beginning didn’t feel like YA, the rest of the book felt much more YA.

Still it was a good book. My younger self would probably have loved it. And I will read the next book as soon as I have time for it!
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |

DariaZav | Feb 9, 2016 |
I followed the hype and read this book. And while not bad, I didn't find it that great.

The concept is a good one. It seems fairly obvious to me that the author took real vintage pictures and made a sci-fi story out of it. The pictures were fun and I enjoyed coming across them. But I just didn't feel a true liking for most of the characters (except for Millard) and it had the feeling of being action-packed while boring me at the same time (in fact I found that the trailer for the book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1DU2ULOKGGNSS/ref=ent_fb_link, was much more exciting than the book itself). I did enjoy the last third of the book but it was too little, too late by that point.

I feel a lot of the story line could have been better executed, but it was a nice attempt. I can understand why people like it, but it just wasn't for me. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
3.5 stars. Loved the photos that accompanied the story. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,270,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible