Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:kthomp25
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:YA books
Tags:Ransom Riggs, Supernatural, Young Adult, Wales, Monsters, Grandfathers, Nazis, WWII, Photography, Mystery, Adventure, Cairnholm Island

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (743)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (756)
This was an easy read but still very engaging. I can't wait to read the second one! Check out my full review of this book on my blog! http://opinionsofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2016/05/miss-peregrines-home-for-pecul... ( )
  M_Sawtelle | May 31, 2016 |
More of a 3.5 star read for me. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't sucked into the story. I will probably check out the next book in hopes I get more involved in it, since the story is an awesome concept. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I loved the idea of using these fascinating photographs as a backbone to the plot of this novel, but I don't think the story was strong enough or the characters interesting enough. Obviously a prologue, it is too long and quite ponderous with a plot that challenged my willing suspension of disbelief. And the monsters aren't monstrous enough. I couldn't help comparing it to Dan Wells' excellent "I am not a serial killer" or even Yancey's "The monstrumologist", both of which had truly horrible and delicious monsters. If you're going to write a horror story, make sure it scares the bejesus out of your readers. But if you're confused about whether you're writing fantasy or horror, then write a story like this! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
So meet Miss Peregrine...

From the cover alone I was intrigued.  100 pages in and I still found myself utterly fascinated by the characters and the imagery, but wanting more.  A story evolving around peculiar children, depicted in photographs, and a tie to World War II, that I never expected, left me filled with so many questions.  It is not until about 2/3 into this book that the story takes off and the creep level rises.  And then wow!  I am now completely sucked into this world and eagerly await the continuation and of course the film adaptation by the only director worthy of the task...Tim Burton.  A rocky start but ultimately successful BR with Andrew." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
What an odd little book! I enjoyed it, not sure if I will read the sequel, perhaps at a later date. Loved the creepy Victorian photographs. I will never again look at any of this type of photo without a squinty eye, all thanks to the spooky photos in the movie, The Others. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible