Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:tomgirl571
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:All Finished Books, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

Recently added byprivate library, lmcswe1, Aimee-cat, Eyrinnia, Watry, ahef1963, MrBronson, fumcod, vsnunez
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (584)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (595)
I had mixed feelings about this book. Although I enjoyed the overall story line and writing style, I found it to be very dark, and dull at times. I was shocked that it was considered a children’s book, because the content would easily give any child nightmares. What I liked about this book was that it had pictures. Typically you don’t find many chapter books at this reading level that include pictures. The pictures were old photographs of characters in the book, and appeared every time a character was introduced. All the characters in the book were “peculiar,” which meant that they have special abilities, from invisibility to flying, to prophetic dreams, clown like features, and having multiple extra body parts. What was especially cool about the photos in the book is that they were real. As ridiculous as this seems, the author spent years trying to find pictures of children “floating” or doing other “peculiar” things, going from garage sales to dumps to find them. This shows that the author has a lot of dedication to his craft, which I appreciate.
One thing I didn’t like about this book was the plot. Although many parts were good, there were a lot of dull moments. For example, at one point the author describes several pictures in a trunk in great detail. Although I understand the importance of imagery and the value of detailed descriptions, I lost interest pretty quickly. If I lost interest, chances are that children will lose interest even more quickly. Despite this, the overall story and “big idea” were positive. I think the big idea can be described as making the best out of a difficult situation. The main character’s life completely changed in an instant, and he had to learn to deal with the reality that his life would never be the same. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 19, 2014 |
And I was so looking forward to a best-seller with actual fantasy elements. What I got was a great opening chapter followed by boredom and terrible romance. Abandoned. ( )
  Watry | Sep 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. It was on my list of YA titles to read left over from the previous year's YALSA challenge. It looks like I'm about 3 years late for "early reviewing" but perhaps next time it will work out better for you and me and I'll actually get a book to write an early review for the program.

So, this is a fairly predictable story - young people in trouble, adults are oblivious and will not see the actual trouble for what it is, the kids solve problems, young love happens, and everyone comes together with their unique talents to defeat the bad guys. Well, not so fast. Our protagonist Jacob is not accepting the reasonable view of events surrounding the premature death of his grandfather, because he saw something that no one else did, or even could as it happens. His analyst agrees that to dispel his fantasies a trip to the source of the problem, an island off Wales, is appropriate and Dad agrees to take Jacob while dad indulges in his ornithological rapture over the rare birds there. But Jacob finds the gateway to a time loop that has existed since a fateful day in WWII, and his worldview goes on its ear; mine would've too, I'm sure.

I thought the pictures were clever and useful to help illustrate the story and were actually a key plot device from practically the beginning of the story. Why not show them?

The story is full of clever twists and smart characters, particularly the peculiars. In one sense, it's a bit like the old Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day" with vicious Nazi submariners. That Jacob can slip in and out of the loop is interesting too, and that multiple loops exist will lead to more in a series. I expect a few sequels, as the story is arrested in mid-telling by the end of this volume and clearly is a gateway to the next installment, .

I found the story engaging and the author held my interest right through. I am not a fast reader, and got this one done in a few days; my son the speedreader (and vidiot game player) finished it on a two-hour flight! ( )
  vsnunez | Sep 17, 2014 |
Both the vintage photos and the plot line are quite interesting. It definitely appealed to my often twisted imagination. I'll be curious to see what Tim Burton does with this. ( )
  macjest | Sep 10, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible