Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:tomgirl571
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:All Finished Books, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (781)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (795)
I wanted to like this book but I couldn't.

The first half of the book is basically filled with the main character, Jacob's, back and forth on rather or not his grandfathers stories were all fantastical and rather or not, if they indeed are, he is angry with his grandfather.

To me this whole first part was a rather large waste of my time. We all know they are real off the bat so we just have to read about him juggling it. I get that it was probably to try and establish character depth and connection but it didn't work for me.

To me the whole story felt a bit like the author had found all this cool old pictures and wrote the story around them instead of really developing a good story and then finding pictures that work.

Finally, aside from the cool old photos, it feels like something that has been done many times before and done a lot better ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 23, 2016 |
This was just a quick pickup/spare moment read throughout today but I enjoyed it. In the main, I certainly hope characters are better fleshed out as I read more and some plot points were a bit awkward. But, as it's the first book, I've reserved judgement. There's definitely a lot of ways to go from this ending and I'm looking forward to further reading. I'm a sucker for "peculiar" talents and, to quote Doctor Who unabashedly, "timey-wimey stuff." Not to mention an adventure embarked upon, even if the ending of one novel leaves us readers in a bit of heady betwixt. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
What a terrific book! I'm not normally into YA fantasy fiction, but I found the cover picture and the pictures inside so intriguing that I bought the book immediately. I guess I must have been living under a rock. I had never even heard of the series (yes, it is a series) and it is about to be released as a motion picture (by Tim Burton - the absolute right choice for this book!).

Jacob's grandfather was sent into hiding to escape the Nazi's in 1940 - the only one of his family members to survive. After moving to America and starting his own family, he told Jacob fantastic stories of his youth - stories of mansions, children with peculiar abilities, headmistresses who could become birds, monsters and time loops. As Jacob became older, he filed these stories under 'fairy tales'. But are they? When Jacob's grandfather meets a gruesome death, he leaves instructions for Jacob to find his childhood home and friends.

This book is excellent. Ransom Riggs is a collector of vintage, creepy pictures and used many of them to help tell his story. There is just the right mix of suspense, adventure, family drama. Although the book is advertised as a YA, it easily translates into Adult literature. It held my interest right until the final page and me me eager to begin the next book in the series. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is probably one of the most unique and original books I've read recently.

It is a story of a grandson's search for the house his Grandfather grew up in long ago--one he only knows about from stories told to him as a child. Jacob has long ago written these stories as fairy tales and good yarns created to entertain a child, but as his Grandfather dies he instructs him to look for these people. Now he's not so sure. Shenanigans and adventures follow from there.

The book includes old pictures to help tell the tale, which I found amazing and engrossing. Mine were all in black and white (I read the Kindle version), but even then they were amazing. This is a fast-paced, deeply interesting story.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a new, different styled book that is light and fun to read! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I was originally attracted to the Miss Peregrine's series due to the creepy nature of the photos, but I found myself truly immersed in the strange little world of the children and learning to love instead of fear their world. I found the story telling engaging and fanciful, while still maintaining an air of realism mostly from Jacob. We had to be able to believe that these children could exist in the real world, on some level. I feed that Riggs did a marvelous job of creating that world in this book. The latter half of the book was truly a page turner. I found it very difficult to stop reading for a moment before I knew how it would all end. Interested to see how it will translate to the silver screen. ( )
  sammaeb | Sep 13, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible