Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:srearley
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2011, fantasy, young-adult

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

Recently added byMutantAtoms, Teresa40, dyanny66, Starla83, JulieW121, Toufiq, private library, SkittleSJ, dmrichards
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (598)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (609)
For me the best part of the book was the beginning, when everything was a mystery. I loved all those pictures of the children that Jacobs grandfather showed him. How he first believed his grandfathers stories and about the monsters and then as he grew up lost faith in them. And WHAM: Suddenly his grandfather is murdered and he sees a monster and he travelers to an island to find out the real story. That was the best part. The rest finding all the peculiar children and the Bird and hooking up with Emma (his grandfathers ex, a bit weird) and saving them all and deciding to stay, well it was good, but not as interesting to read as the beginning. The beginning didn’t feel like YA, the rest of the book felt much more YA.

Still it was a good book. My younger self would probably have loved it. And I will read the next book as soon as I have time for it!
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
This book surprised me as it was not what I was expecting. The description of the island Cairnholm was beautiful and had me wishing it was a real place to add to my "Places I'd Like to Go but Probably Never Will" list. I really liked Ransom Riggs style of writing and the story itself was innovative and held my attention throughout the whole book. The photos were a unconventional but surprisingly great addition to the story. ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
Did not love this as much as everyone said I would. ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
Let me start by saying that I did not want to read this book. A friend made me read it. I had heard about its success, which kept me from absolutely refusing to read it. Still, the idea of this book did not entice me. I thought I should put it out there that I did not go into this book with an open mind.
First of all, understand that I thought the concept of this book was cool. The idea of having a set of pictures accompany the book was not something I had heard before. It was a new, fresh idea, and I give Mr. Riggs props for that.
I did not, however, think that this clever idea was executed well. My main problem was that the pictures interrupted whatever action was going on. The book would literally just stop in the middle of a page so that a picture could be shown. I feel like, even though there would have been a completely different set of problems, it would have been a better idea to put the pictures in the back of the book for you to reference. The pictures did not even add that much to the story. I could have very well just imagined what the pictures looked like with the descriptions already given to you.
I also was not a fan of the story line. I found it a little bit confusing, and a little bit strange. Don't get me wrong, strange can be good, but this was just a little bit too strange for me. Not to mention complected. I don't know if Ransom Riggs wrote it so that it would seem confusing or mystifying or whatever, but I definitely found it hard to follow. I also had a good deal of questions that I felt were never explained. Who knows, maybe the author will explain these questions in the sequel. I felt like, while once again very creative, the plot's explanation could have also been executed a little better.
One good thing about this book is that it did grip me. Despite all the things that the book could have done better, I was interested throughout the whole thing. Mr.Riggs has a good writing style. Even though I thought there were major problems with the book as a whole, I did not especially dislike it. I would consider reading the sequel, providing I did not already find enough books at the library.
Overall, I thought this book was okay. While there were flaws, it was very creative. However, I feel like the concept of having photos as an addition to the book was taken just a bit too far. The plot was a bit confusing and hard to follow, but I found it interesting throughout the whole book.
Two out of Five stars
As seen on: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2013/11/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculia... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book--I will admit that I was pretty skeptical at first, but it was an unusual premise that turned bogeyman stories into terrifying reality and that kept me eager to learn what happened. My main beef has to do with setting: there seemed to be no real differences between the past of the time loop and the present. Everything was described with a clinical sort of detachment. Dr. Golan being revealed as a wight was unexpected bit not surprising in retrospect. Overall, enjoyable. Glad those creepy masked twins in the photos didn't show up, too. ( )
  rwilliab | Nov 21, 2014 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible