Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:Aweissler3077
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (774)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (787)
Hey, all! Read my review on my blog:

CLICK ME. ( )
  AllyWatkins | Aug 31, 2016 |
As you all know, next month this movie comes out! The previews make it look like it'll be the next big thing, so I wanted to make sure I finished the complete series, before seeing it at the show. I always want the book before the movie, you know? So here it is, in a nutshell, what I thought of all three books, by Ransom Riggs. Let's see if you agree...

So let's begin with book number one, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I have to admit, when I purchased the books, I didn't expect to have so much fun. From mysterious photos to the hilarious thoughts of Jacob Portman, I really found myself caught in this book!

Jacob was relatable and he thought like an average 16-year old. I just wish I could have convinced my parents to get me to Wales the way he got his to transport him! Well, he had to have a bit of help, but the end result was the same. Then to wind up on an adventures, such as the one in the first book- wow! The author really put his time into it.

This read was also a read-a-long; I listened as I read and then just listened when exercising. The narrator (Jesse Bernstein) was pretty good. The pitch of his voice and the brogue- perfection. Whether you listen or read this book, I think you'll enjoy the emotion, adventure and the leap into a great series!

The second book, Hollow City is amazing! I'm going to tell you now- my favorite character, outside of the Peculiars, was Addison MacHenry- a talking dog. The part where Jacob tried to scratch him behind the ears just for Addison to raise onto his hind legs and shout, "Do you mind? Keep your hands at bay, sir!" I laughed and rewound it to listen again! The accent, then imagining a dog doing and saying it all cracked me up! ...

*For the review of the series in it's entirety: http://tinyurl.com/z2rddoa
*Book is from my personal library, for an honest review. ( )
  AReneeHunt | Aug 31, 2016 |
This was a very . . .peculiar story, It all made sense and I cannot wait to hear of these exotic children's next events. Very PT Barnum and Ripley's Believe or Not meet YA books.
  JeffreyNattania | Aug 29, 2016 |
Wow what an extraordinary tale & fabulous photographs! I was so surprised to learn that most of the photos are actually authentic snapshots! The story was so great in itself but the photos just brought it to life. The combination was just brilliant! It will definitely go on my favorites list and I cant wait to read the next in series! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the writing style and I loved the incorporation of the vintage photographs. The story is unique and interesting. There were a lot of characters and you dont really get to know too many of them, but I think that helps sent up more stories for the future.

I did think it was a little weird that the main female character was the romantic interest of the main male character's grandfather and then later become the romantic interest of the main male character. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Aug 14, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,532,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible