Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:HigherGround2
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (641)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (653)
I don't remember when this book first hit my radar. It was probably reviewed on some spec fic site which I get newsletters for. I was immediately turned off by the cover - horror isn't really my thing.

And then, I kept hearing about it. And reviews from readers saying, "Ignore the cover. It's not creepy at all."

And then it was a World Book Night book. And I won a free copy from the publisher. And my bookclub picked it. Okay! I get the hint.

This was an extremely fast read. And fascinating. The worldbuilding is extraordinary, and I wish that they had spent more time on that and the plot than on the mystery of the dead weird children in the photographs.

I found the book haunting, though I didn't think it was all that special while I was reading it. Looking back, though, a few weeks after finishing it, I definitely want to find out more. ( )
  wisemetis | Aug 28, 2015 |
RGG: A novel of adolescent self-discovery set in the horror genre. Fascinating, creepy. A great eighth-grade read! Reading Level: 14-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Aug 17, 2015 |
This is listed as teen fiction in the genre of fantasy. The book itself has a "peculiar" feel to it as the pages are thicker than usual and contain many old black and white photographs, obviously photo-shopped, but nonetheless contributing greatly to the mystique of the story. The story revolves around a 16 year-old American boy who is searching for answers about the fantastic stories his recently deceased grandfather told about living in an orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales during World War II. Time travel is part of the story as the young man finds himself dodging bombs from Nazi planes. Realizing exactly what made these children "peculiar" was interesting enough that I will probably read Book 2 when it is published. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This is actually my first book I have read of Ransom Riggs and I will definitely be reading Hollow city which is book 2 in this series.

Where to begin first to say I loved the pictures , it really helps you when you have a hard time imagining the children and this was actually my first book in years which had pictures in it and I really enjoyed it

But I did not find the story creepy but that also could just be me , but however I did enjoy it , although I still think it is kind of weird how Jacob is suddenly in a 'relationship' with Emma while he himself said how he thought that it was kind of weird to be kissing the girl his grandpa also had something with ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |
I LOVED THIS! Sucked me right in like a good "escape fiction" read, but the writing was stellar, too. Loved the story, loved the words, loved the photographs, and the idea of basing a story on some discovered photographs. It's a book I think I can read more than once, even. Highly recommended, but there's enough swearing that I can't give the book to my 7th & 8th grade students (the vocabulary would get them, anyway). 8th grade HONORS to adult. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible