Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:HigherGround2
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (636)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (648)
I'm sure I would rate this higher if I were in the young teen demographic to which it is aimed. It's a real boy's-own adventure with lots of action, twists and turns, and a fair chunk of weirdness. Much less dark than Harry Potter (and easier to follow) but still with plenty to populate your nightmares if that way inclined.

Everyone mentions the way photographs (genuine apparently) are used throughout and it is a unique and very effective device. It adds to the creepiness of the peculiar plot and its peculiar characters. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Jul 19, 2015 |
Contemporary and Historical Time-Travel Paranormal YA

Florida & Wales, England

Jacob is a sixteen-year-old that is set on a journey when a horrific family tragedy strikes. He goes to a remote island off the coast of Wales and discovers a crumbling ruin that was once Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. The more Jacob explores the abandoned bedrooms and hallways the more he finds that Miss Peregrine’s children were much more than just peculiar. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island as they might have been dangerous and where there for a very good reason. Even more impossible is the fact that they might actually still be alive.

This is a story that takes photographs and remarkable story telling to a level that makes for a book that will have readers eating it up. While there is a bit of a cliffhanger it still proves to be a story worth reading and will have readers eagerly getting the next book just to see what will happen next. The book is very different and with the photographs in it and it transports readers to another place. It will be interesting to see just where the journey of the books will take readers. While it is a young adult book adults will enjoy this one just as much as teens will. This one will also end up on many keeper shelves. ( )
  lrhubble | Jul 18, 2015 |
Jacob Portman has been listening to his grandfather’s stories for most of his life and the older Jacob became the less he believed these tales. They just seemed too fantastical to be true. When Jacob’s grandfather suddenly dies his death seems to be somehow connected to all the stories. While helping his family dispose of his grandfather’s things, Jacob comes across a letter with an unfamiliar and mysterious signature. As Jacob begins to unravel the mystery of his grandfather’s life people begin to think he is losing his grasp on reality as much as they believed his grandfather had. Until he manages to talk his father into a trip to Ireland where everything falls into place … and all the stories he’s been told turn out to be true.

I usually do not read “fantasy” but the pictures in this book turned out to be too irresistible not to pick it up. I’ve often looked at pictures and paintings and thought to myself that it would be interesting to try and come up with a story about the image. Mr. Riggs took that thought and ran with it. The fact that he had these more than fantastic images and chose to share them in the context of the book was fascinating. Although I enjoyed the story a great deal, it did not leave me with the lingering need to pick up the sequel but I did browse through it just to see the pictures.

I have been going through some old boxes of pictures that my mother had and thought I had come to the decision to throw away any pictures of people I could not identify. Mr. Riggs’ unusual hobby of “collecting pictures of people he does not know” has led to another book called “Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past” and that is a book I think I may pick up. The concept intrigues me and has made me rethink the idea of tossing those old pictures.
1 vote ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Well ... I'm astonished. A young adult fantasy that takes you back to the days of the second World War with very unsettling things that reveal in an already unsettled world. The photographs are sometimes unnerving and lend the most unusual aura to the whole style of this book. Over all I would give this a 3.5, but looking forward to read the next one. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
** Originally posted www.bunnycates.com **

My Thoughts:

I’m going to try to get through this without any spoilers, guys. I do realize I’m probably the last person on the planet to read this, so worrying about spoilers is silly, BUT, just in case…

This book follows Jacob Portman. At the beginning of the book, we meet Jacob and his eccentric Grandfather. Abe, the grandfather, has spent Jacob’s entire life telling Jacob fantastical stories about his youth. As Jacob gets older and starts to doubt in these stories, Abe’s Alzheimer’s disease advances and the family attributes his odd behavior to his Dementia. It is quite touching and to, me, someone who’s own grandmother has advanced Alz, very sad. A very unfortunate accident sets this story and Jacob on a quest to find out the truth about his grandfather’s past.

I loved the cast of characters we get to meet in this story. Each of them, even the bad ones, felt fleshed out. Their personalities and behaviors all felt “right” for the lives and experiences they each have endured in their lifetimes. Abe, the grandfather, reminded me so much of my Pap. Jacob and the way he almost idolized his grandfather, and his stories. Emma and Miss Peregrine, I can’t imagine them any other way than the way they were written.

This book felt so different to anything I’ve read before. Ransom Riggs used random “odd” photos he had collected, and crafted a story around them. He used the photos to reinforce the story in the readers mind. What it did was help build, somehow, a stronger connection between me (the reader) and the characters in the story. It helped make them “real”. Photos aren’t like illustrations, someone didn’t imagine them and then draw them – they are real people, not imaginary. The story fabricated around them may be a work of fiction, but the photos allow the mind to wonder, for however short of a time, “what if”. Really, WHAT IF?

In the end, this story is: a time traveling, historical fiction, action, adventure, horror, (urban) fantasy, thriller.

In Conclusion:

I absolutely LOVED this and I can NOT wait until book two comes out! The story is fantastic, and… AND… the book is actually constructed beautifully, both the cover and the end pages, the only thing missing was deckled pages!

Mom Notes:

This series is a little on the creepy side. There is a little language and some violence. I would recommend for probably ages 10+

For Parents and Students:
ATOS Book Level: 5.7
Interest Level: Upper Grades (UG 9-12)
AR Points: 13.0

YALSA Teens’ Top Ten
YALSA Readers’ Choice
YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults
  BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,513,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible