Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (787)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (802)
The story developed slowly, but was captivating throughout. It's pretty dark, but not much darker than Harry Potter. I can see this becoming a pretty good series and considering the ending, the next book better already be in development! ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
A family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--a mysterious island, abandoned orphanage, and a strange collection of photographs.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
After Jacob’s grandfather passes away, Jacob goes to explore the abandoned orphanage his grandfather told him stories about during his childhood. (Tim Burton directed the recent film)
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 14, 2016 |
Jacob Portman is 16 years old. His grandfather always told stories about peculiar children he lived with during the war. Jacob quit believing in these stories until his grandfather is tragically killed. Jacob believes that the monsters his grandfather told him about killed him, but the police say it was wild dogs. Jake's psychiatrist says that he should go to the island his grandfather said the children's home was at. Jacob's father takes him and he doesn't find anything until a few days in. When he is searching the bombed house, people approach him and ask if he is Abe. Abe is his grandfather's name, and they realize he isn't him so they run away.

Jacob chases these people and soon realizes that they are the peculiar children he has seen in the photographs. The footprints lead into the famous cairn so he follows them in. He comes out and finds the children. They cautiously lead him into the huge house that is no longer tor apart because the day September 3, 1940 repeats itself inside of this loop. Miss Peregrine instantly recognizes him. Jacob soon falls in love with Emma Bloom. Miss Peregrine is captured by a wight, a bad peculiar who traps others to feed them to hollowgast. Hollowgast are monsters with tentacles coming out of their mouths. The children get her back but she remains in bird form. They set off on a journey to change her back into a human.

I really loved this book and finished in one day. It is packed with action and has a small love story in it. The author really captured my attention and left me wanting to read more in the end. There were new monsters that I have never heard of in any other book. There were also new words that really confused me at first, but thought were awesome in the end. Ransom Riggs must have a very creative mind.He mixed so many things that I never would have thought went great together unless he wrote this book. I wish that I could write a book this good. ( )
  JadeF.B4 | Oct 12, 2016 |
I have a hometown bias towards this book and to a small degree, its author. I bought it purely on the strength of this hometown connection, in fact.

So I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the writing and how much the story sucked me in. Even after the first few chapters and Jacob's departure from said hometown, I continued to feel like I was in Wales, both past and present. The fog, the rain, the bogs, the sun, the bombs all felt graphically real.

The premise has threads of X-Men running through it but it takes on a life and direction of its own and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The authentic vintage photographs help bring the story to life (not to mention freak the reader out in their own right - I might never look at Santa the same way again).

This is the first in a trilogy and if you like the phantasmic and your peculiarities slightly creepy, you might find this book for you. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 11, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.
In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)
Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)
With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
"Oh, are you so sure?"
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,787,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible