Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Recently added byLadydncing, missmies, rlutwak, nolnacs, tphamttp, KrystleLow, private library, sorrento, Jianna2
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (789)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (804)
This book is fascinating. It is all about a boy on the verge of becoming a man. He does not know what he really is until he does. And when he does it is too late, because the only person left to explain it to him is dead. Or so he thought. There is still one more person who can really, truly explain to him what and who he is. She goes by "The Bird" and she watches over people just like Jake. They are called the Peculiar Children and they don't live in our time but at the same time they do. They live in things called time loops and the loop Miss Peregrine's children live in is September 3, 1940 the day their home was bombed, almost.
Personally I love this book. It is fun and exciting. It is a true page turner. All the different aspects of the book are amazing. And I love the way it ends it just makes you ean to read on and on and on. I also like the format the book is in. Overall this would be a book I would recommend to others. ( )
  Skylar.RB1 | Oct 27, 2016 |
I've been meaning to read this book for the longest time. -Okay, maybe not exactly as long as you'd think, but I'd wanted to read it since I first found out about it. Then, maybe after a while of not picking it up to read after having it, the excitement died down. I began to doubt if I was even interested in it anymore.
So when I picked it up to read last week, I had 2 expectations: either be sorely disappointed, or completely engrossed.
And I can happily say it was the latter. ;) Even I was shocked at the rate in which I was reading, hah. And for those who hadn't read it yet, let me just say that page 296 brought such an unexpected revelation to me that I actually gasped out loud as I read it.
I can't wait to read the next book, and I have high expectations for it too. I just hope it won't be focused majorly on the history of the peculiars or the loops, because I have a feeling then that it would be quite boring.
Anyhow.. I can't wait to see what happens next, so I think I'll probably start on the next book tonight itself. ;) ( )
  KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
The story developed slowly, but was captivating throughout. It's pretty dark, but not much darker than Harry Potter. I can see this becoming a pretty good series and considering the ending, the next book better already be in development! ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
A family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--a mysterious island, abandoned orphanage, and a strange collection of photographs.
  Jennifer LeGault | Oct 17, 2016 |
After Jacob’s grandfather passes away, Jacob goes to explore the abandoned orphanage his grandfather told him stories about during his childhood. (Tim Burton directed the recent film)
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 14, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.
In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)
Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)
With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
"Oh, are you so sure?"
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,833,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible