Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (740)  German (5)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (753)
So meet Miss Peregrine...

From the cover alone I was intrigued.  100 pages in and I still found myself utterly fascinated by the characters and the imagery, but wanting more.  A story evolving around peculiar children, depicted in photographs, and a tie to World War II, that I never expected, left me filled with so many questions.  It is not until about 2/3 into this book that the story takes off and the creep level rises.  And then wow!  I am now completely sucked into this world and eagerly await the continuation and of course the film adaptation by the only director worthy of the task...Tim Burton.  A rocky start but ultimately successful BR with Andrew." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
What an odd little book! I enjoyed it, not sure if I will read the sequel, perhaps at a later date. Loved the creepy Victorian photographs. I will never again look at any of this type of photo without a squinty eye, all thanks to the spooky photos in the movie, The Others. ( )
  lostkiwi | May 26, 2016 |
Different, captivating, paranormal, and thrilling. This book captured my attention from the pictures that were used throughout the book. I remembered personally find these in thrift stores with my grandparent when I was younger.
This story follows the journey of a boy who discovers his grandfather’s secrets hidden in his past. It allows the history to envelope the reader, spiking interest, and leaving questions behind. History is a powerful tool that can create a story from the past that reflects on the future.
Riggs writing allows for the story to take hold of the reader and bring them along for the mystery and secrets that are to be found within the pages. I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  Literature_Owl | May 26, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

His whole life Jacob has heard the most wonderful stories about his grandfather youth on an island of the coast of Wales. He's had different ways interpreting them, in the end settling on that's what they were, stories/tales his grandfather made to cope with his past. But when his grandfather is murdered almost in front of Jacob, he receives more than subtle hints that he should go and find them, Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children.

I'd wanted to read this book for a long time, but never seemed to find the time to actually do so. The Bout of Books read-a-thon that's now taking place was the perfect moment to finally read it. I'm glad I did (and even better, I already have the sequel, and I won't keep that book waiting nearly as long).

I particularly liked the beginning of the story. The hints, the tension, the feeling there must be something to it. The island, one phone, no mobile phones, no electricity (except for some generators), a deadly bog that was used for human sacrifices and an abandoned orphanage, bombed and almost forgotten by everyone on the island. It quite sets the scene. And just when you're about to decide that it were tales after all...

I really liked the world that was created in contrast to that described above. And the pictures, of course. It's the second book I've read in about a week that has an important part told in pictures/drawings and I think it's a great addition to the story. Those really were the parts that stood out for me.

Because when I start thinking about the rest, things are slightly different.

Did I really like Miss Peregrine? - Well, not particularly.

Any of the other characters besides Jacob? - They all felt a bit flat but for their peculiar abilities. I'd liked to know more about them.

Did I like the sort of romance? No, not really.

And I was a bit disappointed by the

hollowgast

and how that was the real threat and everything. It was just not that original, and turned a great part of the second half into any action scene ever.

Then, why four stars, I hear you ask. Mostly, because by the time these things above happened, I was already sold. So I enjoyed reading (even the last part) so much that I couldn't do anything else than reward this book four stars. I'm looking forward to the sequel, hope the characters will develop some more and it will all be mysterious once more!

One little note I couldn't help but notice: Jacob states to his dad that he's very sensitive to sunburn, and his dad is okay with that. But wouldn't he have noticed this before now? I mean he's a stay-at-home dad and Florida (at least that's what they say) is a sunny place! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I read this one for a book club I'm in and I will admit, I did not expect it to be this good. The story had excellent pacing, the plot was well developed, and the narrator possessed a quirky sense of humor. While the good vs. evil component and battle were as old as time, the author did a wonderful job of creating a rich supernatural world and the frequent inclusion of photographs helped immensely to visualize the story. Well worth the read and I look forward to continuing the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 25, 2016 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Hardcover First Edition):

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher.

Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Number: 210942876

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,913,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible