Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:Cruiseheimers
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (860)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (877)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is the first novel in the Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children trilogy by Ransom Riggs.

Plot:
Jacob has always been very close to his grandfather Abe who told him all kinds of stories of his childhood in an orphanage led by Miss Peregrine, among children that all had very special gifts. Only as Jacob grew older, he stopped believing in those stories. Then his grandfather is attacked and Jacob sees a strange monster that nobody else is able to see. He is unsettled, to say the least and convinces his father to head to Cairnholm, the island where his grandfather’s orphanage was, to find out more about his past and to hopefully be able to separate fact from fiction.

I was really looking forward to reading this. With the old photographs that Riggs actually collected and that served as a starting point for his story, and then as illustrations, the book makes for a gorgeous package. Unfortunately I couldn’t really get into the story.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/09/28/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-ransom-riggs/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jul 21, 2017 |
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is written by Ransom Riggs. In addition to writing this Modern Fantasy YA novel, he also has included old photos throughout to illustrate the story as it goes. Jacob Portman is teenager who is feeling very unsatisfied with his life. He has few friends, his parents REALLY don't get him, and he works a boring job at a drug store that his family owns. He feels like he can't quit the job, because it's family owned, as well as, his co-worker's feel like the only reason he has the job is because his family owns it. To make things exponentially worse, the only person he's ever truly been close to, his grandfather, Abe, has ailing health. Abe calls Jacob up one evening just as he is finishing a shift at the drug store. His call is very disturbing as Abe is yelling warnings and telling Jacob that "they found him". Because this is so disturbing, Jacob immediately goes to his grandfather's house to check on him only to find that the house has been ransacked and his grandfather is no where to be found. While outside, Jacob sees a monster of sorts. From here on, Jacob's life will never be the same. He is thrown into the adventure of a lifetime, in which he makes many new friends, finds that he has some powerful gifts, and that he has a purpose in this life, after all. I read this book in 1 sitting! It was very exciting and an easy read. In addition, the photographs that Ransom Riggs included throughout were an excellent addition to the story. Although, the scary and the photos were a bit scary at times. Also, there were a few times when adultish ideas came up (alcohol and sex). Because of these ideas and the scare factor, I would recommend this book for ages 13 and up.
  OnyH. | Jul 19, 2017 |
This is the first in a series. It ends with a cliffhanger.

It's a pretty good YA story and a nice setup for the continuation. It entertained me for the time I was reading it. I don't know that I am inclined to continue the series, though. I have already read many variations on these themes. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Summary: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is about a boy named Jacob who is trying to investigate the true history of his grandfather's past, after his grandfather passes away. This search leads him to an island in Wales, where Jacob finds the home he believes his grandfather to have stayed with- except it has been destroyed by a bomb dropped in World War 2. However, Jacob soon meets some peculiar children- Emma, a fire starter, and Millard, an invisible boy, who lead him back to their loop. Jacob discovers that there is a whole community of children living in the house who are struck in a time loop in 1940. Jacob learns that there are great dangers to the children in the loop, including hollowgasts that Jacob learns he can see (he discovers that him and his grandfather both could and that they are peculiar). Jacob must decide whether to stay in the loop and help protect the children, or return to his old life. Although Jacob decides to stay, they are threatened with more danger, and Jacob and the children take off to return Miss Peregrine back to normal and save the peculiar children.

Personal Connection: I LOVED this book- it's level of fantasy reminded me of Harry Potter- realistic enough to believe, and fantastical enough to know it was not true- but could it be? I would definitely keep reading this series, and will watch the film to compare it's accuracy. I was also baffled that they were REAL photographs used in the text- how PECULIAR!

Extras:
-Meet the author/book reading: https://www.teachingbooks.net/book_reading.cgi?id=10405
-Book trailer: https://kidlit.tv/2014/06/a-most-peculiar-trip-searching-for-miss-peregrine/
-Movie trailer: http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children

Application to Teaching: This book again would not complement a K-1 curriculum, however, it was an enjoyable text and could certainly be used at the high school level. ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 19, 2017 |
This has been on my shelf for so long, but I have heard so many bad reviews on it I never wanted to reach for it. It was available through my library Overdrive app, so I decided to give the audiobook a chance. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

I did not like the romance between Jacob and Emma…it was just weird knowing Emma’s past.

I was not sure if I wanted to continue on with this series, but the ending just leaves you hanging and I probably will grab the audiobooks when they are available to find out what happens next. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jul 16, 2017 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,146,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible