Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:CynWetzel
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read 2013
Tags:13 in 13

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (610)  German (4)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (621)
This one was definitely a fun read. I found the story entertaining and the array of characters and their personalities was interesting. I also thought that the incorporation of old photos added an element of wonder to the book that it would not have otherwise had. It also made it seem more like these people could really exist than they would have without the photos. It gave it that added touch of reality that is hard to find or create in fantasy.

There were a couple of characters that I was hoping would get fleshed out a little more as the book went on, such as Emma. I found her to be a little dull. Nothing about her made me like her more or less than the other characters, which seems strange considering she is the second most important character next to Jacob. I also find their relationship by the end of the book a wee bit disturbing.

Jacob himself wasn't all that exciting of a character. He's mostly a loner but doesn't necessarily struggle with that aspect of himself. He doesn't really yearn for friends or care that he doesn't have them. Nor does it seem that having emotionally distant parents bothers him. His parents push for him to eventually own the chain of stores that makes them wealthy doesn't create in him enough of a rebellious tendency other than just sucking at the job he has at one of the stores. Overall, he's kind of boring. But the adventure he has is exciting and once that starts, some of his adventurous nature comes out.

It takes a while for the book to really get going, but it's intriguing enough to keep you reading. And once the action really starts, it's hard to put down. Action and adventure occurs all the way to the conclusion of the book and leaves us wanting more. I'm looking forward to reading more about this strange group of peculiar children and how they will maneuver around in this strange new world they have forced into...even though I'm still a little weirded with the relationship between Emma and Jacob. You'll know what I mean when you read it. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
My actual rating for this book would be 3.5 but as that is not an option I decided to go with 3.

I loved the premise of this book. The book cover and the blurb ensured that the book ended up on my TBR list. Having read it I'm sure of two things: 1) the best thing about the books have to be the peculiar photographs of peculiar children & 2) I enjoyed reading the story enough to want to read the second book Hollow City but not enough to jump on it right away.

Sixteen-year-old Jacob grew up listening to his grandfather's stories about the adventures of his youth and fantastical stories about children who are in many ways "peculiar". Once he outgrows these stories and starts doubting their authenticity his relationship with his grandfather gets altered as well. Faced with a tragedy he cannot process emotionally, Jacob sets off on a journey to a far away island in hopes of finding either answers or peace. What he finds might end up being more than he bargained for.

As far as YA fantasy books go this was a pretty good read. Once the story moves to the island I found it a tad slow at times and I guess based on the photos and the first part of the book I expected sort of a greater revelation happening there. My curiosity was piqued enough for me to have interest in the second book but nowhere near as close to the way I got attached to the world of Harry Potter once upon a time for instance. Certain literary universes seduce you more than others and I'd say the seduction aspect of the world of peculiar children ended up slightly lukewarm to me. ( )
  anais_nin | Jan 21, 2015 |
Description: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Thoughts: This was a strange book. A strange book that I found myself enjoying very much. It's not your average young adult fantasy book (I might not even call it YA as it could almost pass as that ambiguous "magical realism literary fantasy"). The story unravels in such a way that for a long time you are left wondering if this really is going to be a fantasy book. Or is it just a Holocaust story wrapped up in fairy tales? Or is a horror story? When it's finally clear exactly what IS going on, the story looses a bit of footing by getting muddled a bit with teenage romantic angst, but it doesn't stay bogged down for long and then the story is off again.

For the most part, I was pretty engrossed. There were a few times when Jacob, the protagonist, irked me with his behavior and "poor rich boy" whining, but mostly he was a likable and sympathetic kid. His parents were pretty useless as characters (and as parents if I'm honest), but the real shining point was Abe, his grandfather. Sadly, he's dispatched all to early in the story, but the echo of him is there throughout. There are also several plot aspects that aren't all that clear, but it didn't detract very much from my enjoyment of the story.

The inclusion of the genuine old peculiar photographs was really interesting. There were a few places where the way they were worked into the story is a smidge forced, but mostly they brought a new aspect to the story that I haven't ever seen before. And they work nicely to tie parts of the plot together.

My biggest complaint? That this better have a sequel because it COMPLETELY ends in the middle of nowhere. There is NO resolution. Sorry if this ruins something for those of you who haven't read it yet, but I was reading it on my Kindle and would have thought there was some problem had their not been an appendix. Note: There is a sequel, Hollow City.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3210581 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |
This story was unique and the graphics were fitting to the plot and the characters. I really enjoyed it and have had some issues with finishing the the book in this series. Partly because this book was so fun and I couldn't put it down. I recommend it and still have hope the second book in the series pulls me in as this first story did. That's another review though. I don't like spoiling books. Sorry to add my early conclusion to the next book in this series. ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Jan 11, 2015 |
I loved this novel. I think the photographs added so much to the story, and it rather reminds me of going through my grandparents' pictures and them breaking off into some story or other. I had heard other people who thought the book was creepy, but I never had that feeling (though I suspect it takes a lot to weird me out. most "scary" movies tend to be more boring or stupid in my book). The subject matter (period before The Blitz, persecution) could get to be a little intense for some readers, given that it is marketed as a young adult novel, but I thought it balanced out with the lighter moments of the book. Now I got this as a library e-book, and the pictures were about the size of the photographs of the time on my Nook Color, but I heard some people express that they had difficulty seeing them on their readers, so if you don't have a tablet or larger size reader, you might consider checking out a physical copy if you are borrowing it from the library.
  sawcat | Jan 10, 2015 |
The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

Look! Creepy photos
winding into a story.
Sequel sure to come.
(_debbie_)
"But those monsters are
Only a story, granddad!"
"Oh, are you so sure?"
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,145,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible