Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

Member:CynWetzel
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read 2013
Tags:13 in 13

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (827)  German (6)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (843)
For me, the best part of the book was the beginning when everything was a mystery. I loved all those pictures of the children that Jacobs grandfather showed him. How he first believed his grandfather's stories and about the monsters and then as he grew up lost faith in them. And WHAM: Suddenly Jacobs grandfather is murdered and he sees a monster and he travelers to an island to find out the real story. That was the best part. The rest finding all the peculiar children and the Bird and hooking up with Emma (his grandfather's ex, a bit weird) and saving them all and deciding to stay, well it was good, but not as interesting to read as the beginning. The beginning didn’t feel like YA, the rest of the book felt much more YA.

Still it was a good book. My younger self would probably have loved it. And I will read the next book as soon as I have time for it!
  MaraBlaise | Feb 20, 2017 |
Enjoyable, but seemed like an X-men movie plot ( )
  grigoro | Feb 18, 2017 |
I have been waiting to read this book. At first I thought it was Horror so I was a bit turned off by it because I am a wimp... but then I realized that the blogging world and even other readers adored this book and this series. I found myself wanting to read it more and more and the opportunity arose when a friend of mines started reading them. He said that he wanted to know what I thought and left the first book at my house. It was there for a little while but with the DVD/Bluray coming of the movie (which I had yet to see) I was prompted to start - because obviously you read the book before you see the movie - that is just the way it is right?! Well I cheated then because I did in fact watch the movie first and really enjoyed it. I also watched all the bonus stuff so I knew going into the book the changes that had been made. The book did not disappoint regardless.

Miss Peregrine's is a book of layered worlds, where Peculiars can exist without our time messing with them or being hunted by other creepy Peculiars trying to gain more power. It is your normal good guys/ bad guys/ want all the power kind of stories. Much like X-Men... So I was drawn into the plot and the characters although I really didn't feel all that much connection to Jacob, he seemed the rich, flakey type and I didn't really care for him. The other characters were interesting enough and I think what kept me going was the world building. I liked the idea of multiple realities happening on various dates - I want to see/ read them all.

This book has so many reviews now, so there probably isn't much that I could say that would be new. I enjoyed the book - the plot, the worlds, some of the characters, I felt like it could have been a bit more polished but I also think that it lends to the book - it is strange and macabre... mostly just peculiar. I have book two - complements of the friend so I will be reading that soon. ( )
  sszkutak | Feb 16, 2017 |
I could hardly contain myself while I waited for the mailman to drop off my Amazon.com order containing the first installment of Ransom Rigg's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I had read a blurb describing the book and had seen all of the photographs Riggs was incorporating in his storytelling. The premise is simple enough; there is a group of misfit children who are gathered together in a Victorian Era house under the tutelage and protection of an austere beauty by the name of Miss Peregrine. The book comes off like the spurious offspring of a love triangle between Edgar Allen Poe, Tim Burton and Stan Lee. Miss Peregrine is the early twentieth century Charles Xavier with her mansion full of prepubescent, genetically askew students. The bad guy in the story is even a being that shares the same gifts as her peculiar children but he has chosen a different path that sets him and his cronies at odds with Miss P's tiny soldiers.
These are all the ingredients for a children's story capable of standing out amongst its peers and going on to become the type of commercial phenomena that publishers have been searching for since the boy who lived finally graduated from Wizarding School.
Miss Peregrine and her Peculiar Children appears to be the kind of idea that spreads like wildfire among children and then on up through every marketable age-group targeted by advertisers and their ilk. In the end, though, all the book turns out to be is a really good idea. There is little substance to the book. Reading through the chapters one gets the sense that the author poured his heart and soul into the first third of the book, submitted it, got a huge early advance and a fast approaching deadline and just filled as many pages as he could as quick as he was able to.
The scenario I put forth is pure fiction but, at least, it offers some explanation as to why the draft that made it to my hands was approved by the author, editors and the publishing company.
This is one instance where I would urge anyone who hasn't read the books to not bother with the effort and watch the film adaptation instead. Perhaps the director and screenwriters will do this brilliant idea justice. ( )
  EardStapa | Feb 14, 2017 |
Despite being 50 years old this was a delight to read. Big old house, time travel, monsters and peculiar children - an illustrated novel where the photographs form part of the story. A word of warning - the movie is a lie and a Tim Burton vanity piece - read the book it's so much better. ( )
  MarianneHusbands | Feb 6, 2017 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

SLEEP IS NOT, DEATH IS NOT;
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,496,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible