The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper

The Golden Acorn (2010)

by Catherine Cooper

195960,388 (3.31)3

I could not put this book down as soon as I picked it up. The characters were great! This is now one of my favourite YA stories. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
Why is it that some adults can write for children, and create a whole new world for the child to get lost in wonder, and others write as if "child" is synonymous with "stupid?"

The entire time I was reading this, I felt like a Stepford mom was leaning over my shoulder reading, "and then, THIS happened, and then THIS happened, and THEN do you KNOW what that means little girl? Well, I will just have to tell you! Wheeee!"

The story's potential (and it wasn't a bad story,) was suffocated under this apparent assumption that the target reader would be a moderately dull-witted six year old, which is a shame. One of the most important things I look for in a children's book is whether I would enjoy reading it aloud to a child. There are brilliant books for this activity - The Hobbit, The Marvelous Land of Oz books, Dr. Seuss is just good laugh out loud fun, I'll even concede that Harry Potter seems like the read with children sort, even if it's not my personal cuppa. This book, however, in my opinion, would be painful. I'd never make it. ( )
  StaceyHH | Apr 8, 2013 |
Although written for children, this is a story that can be enjoyed by adults who've retained their enjoyment of a simple but entertaining yarn. I admit I downloaded it because it was free, but also because the Amazon reviews (many from adult readers) were generally very positive. The 'chosen one' plotline was fairly cliché and the peril was pretty tame, but it was enlived by a cast of characters who were consistently engaging and well-drawn, even the minor ones.
I would have adored this book when I was a kid - especially the Night Guard rats and the trip back in time to Roman Britain! - and even as a cynical adult reader I still found it a charming and refreshing read. It makes a good opening novel for a series. ( )
  Lesley_Webb | Mar 29, 2013 |
Free book from Kindle. Little lengthy. Started OK but dragged on ( )
  ChuTrandinh | Nov 24, 2011 |
Jack is a likeable character who is afraid but doesn't let the fear stop him from trying new things (like embracing the world of magic). Ms. Cooper has created a fantastical world that feels safe - even though there are scary things, the reader knows that in the end it will all work out. An enjoyable read. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 7, 2011 |
For Ron for being there
Nora tapped her wand impatiently on the kitchen table before speaking to Camelin.

When Jack Brenin finds a golden acorn lying in the grass, little does he know that it is the beginning of a thrilling and magical adventure. Just an ordinary boy, Jack has been chosen for a hugely important task, and enters a world he believed only existed in legend.… (more)

Catherine Cooper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,332,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible