Winkie by Clifford Chase

Winkie (2006)

by Clifford Chase

to get (50)

Winkie is a teddy bear that finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Taken into police custody when the cabin in the woods where he's living is raided and charged with multiple acts of terrorism. Assigned an incompetent public defender to represent him and with public opinion very much against his continued existence Winkie is left to review the events in his life that have led him to his current predicament.

What I was hoping for from this book was a light, fairly fun satirical look at the justice system when it comes to the war on terror. What I got was actually a quite sad and often absurd tale where all of society’s ills are placed firmly at the feet of someone who happens to be a little different from the norm. I think I would have preferred a little more meat to this story and a bit less padding out especially with the trial scenes. Not a book I have any interest in returning to which is a shame as the potential for this kind of story is huge. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Aug 25, 2017 |
A very interesting premise in that a stuffed toy bear comes to life, has three wishes granted (one of which is to "doo-doo"), gives birth to a baby teddy bear after eating too many berries, and is ultimately accused and imprisoned of terrorism.

I was intrigued.

Now I'm just glad it's over and I finshed it. More of my review on my book blog: carmensbookadventure.blogspot.com. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book is all over the place - at times attempting to be soaring and lyrical, and at times filled with a somewhat childish POV. Neither of those, nor any of the in-betweens, worked for me, and the over-the-top satire of how we treat terror suspects was not witty enough to be funny or subtle enough to make a useful point. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Apr 16, 2013 |
This is a very weird book. Although a book about a teddybear that comes to life might sound like it is intended for children, this is for adults. The real theme is miscarriage of justice. What happens to an innocent person who gets caught as the main suspect in a terrorism trial? And if that person is handicapped, or different in some way? ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Apr 11, 2013 |
Well...interesting concept, stuffed bear comes to life only to be charged as a terrorist. But it was too literal, too parellel to today and suffered by being too preachy. Yes, our zealous pursuit of terrorist can become an absurd witch hunt. But it just left me with an eh. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Kill Winkie!
Voor John
Uw naam alstublieft.
'Boeken die we in onze kindertijd hebben gelezen bestaan niet meer; ze zijn weggezeild op de wind en hebben slechts kale staketsels achtergelaten. Wie de herinneringen aan en de essentie van de kindertijd nog in zich heeft, zou deze boeken moeten herschrijven zoals hij ze heeft ervaren.'

Bruno Schulz

In Cliff Chase’s scathingly funny and surprisingly humane debut novel, the zeitgeist assumes the form of a one-foot-tall ursine Everyman — a mild-mannered teddy bear named Winkie who finds himself on the wrong side of America’s war on terror. After suffering decades of neglect from the children who've forgotten him, Winkie summons the courage to take charge of his fate, and so he hops off the shelf, jumps out the window, and takes to the forest. But just as he is discovering the joys and wonders of mobility, Winkie gets trapped in the jaws of a society gone rabid with fear and paranoia. Having come upon the cabin of the mad professor who stole his beloved, Winkie is suddenly surrounded by the FBI, who instantly conclude that he is the evil mastermind behind dozens of terrorist attacks that have been traced to the forest. Terrified and confused, Winkie is brought to trial, where the prosecution attempts to seal the little bear’s fate by interviewing witnesses from the trials of Galileo, Socrates, John Scopes, and Oscar Wilde. Emotionally gripping and intellectually compelling, Winkie exposes the absurdities of our age and explores what it means to be human in an increasingly barbaric world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

In this debut novel, a mild-mannered teddy bear named Winkie finds himself on the wrong side of America's war on terror.--From publisher description.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,367,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible