The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis…

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy (edition 2011)

by Peter May

Member:murraymint11
Title:The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
Authors:Peter May
Info:Quercus (2011), Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:Crime, Police Procedural, BCC, Scotland, Hebrides, Rural Community

The Blackhouse by Peter May

Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Similar settings; Shetlands/ Hebrides
    Naming the Bones by Louise Welsh (tina1969)

English (68)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (70)
interesting landscape, character studies and thorough introduction to Fin Macleod.
on to book #2 ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
There is something alluring (at least for me) with crime novels placed on islands, especially those far up in the north, with bad weather and people that have known each other for generations. I mean it wouldn't be the same if it would be set on a Caribbean paradise, for instance, who would ever want to leave in the first place. Too idyllic, I prefer more these dark and rugged places with old secrets.

Fin Macleod (From the clan Macleod…sorry I'm a child of the 80s and I love the Highlander) returns home to Isle of Lewis 18 years after he left the island to work as a police. An old classmate has been murdered and the murders similarities with a previous murder in Edinburg. But this is not an easy case to take on for Fin, he most face people and events from his past and at the same time find a killer who could be one of the people he used to know.

Peter May has written a very intense and dark crime novel. As we follow Fin in present day trying to find a killer we also get flashbacks to the past, to the events in his childhood that led to Fin in the end leaving Isle of Lewis. This is one of the best crime novels I have read in a while, with a nerve-racking ending. Highly recommended! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
A gripping tale of murder, deceit and long buried secrets set on Scotland's West Coast.
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
What happens on The Rock, stays on The Rock.

And boy did it ever. This book is couched in terms of being a mystery because there is a dead guy and there is a cop, but it didn’t need to be presented that way and as a matter of fact, very little time and attention is given to solving the crime. No, this is Fin’s story and it’s a pretty interesting one although the final piece of why was a bit much. There was no telegraphing it whatsoever and even though there is a logical reason why not, it still was a bit too jarring.

For those with a limited threshold for gore, you’ll have a hard time with the crime scene and the post mortem; they are very descriptive. Not all the descriptions are stellar or terribly original though and I noted many cliches including angry seas and brooding landscapes. Oh and if you’re going to quote Blade Runner, frigging quote Blade Runner, don’t bury it in the text and think no one will notice. The map included at the beginning of the book is helpful, but not as much as the Gaelic (pronounced gah-lick) to English pronunciation guide. Mostly it was for my own enlightenment more than reading since I’m a sight-reader who doesn’t subvocalize. A lot of the Gaelic is left in the text, too, and is easily parsed by context.

Despite the somewhat quotidian beginning (Fin is sent by his superiors to his hometown where he immediately locks horns with the local commander, an outsider who is threatened by Fin’s involvement and his deep ties to the town), the book goes in some interesting directions and the tension and atmosphere are well conveyed. Fin relates his story bit by bit, drawing out the suspense, but not in an annoying way. There is enough revealed each time that it doesn’t stagnate or lag. The final solution though was shocking for the sake of shocking. I mean, we already had our killer and there were a few plausible ways things could turn, but it was still out of the blue. Still don’t know if my shock is a good or a bad thing. Either way, I’ll be checking out the next two books in the series. May obviously loves his homeland and presents it well. From things like the Lewis Chessmen to the guga harvest (which could make some people mad at the slaughter, but was shown without prejudice one way or another). ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Jan 26, 2016 |
I enjoyed this beautifully written book very much. It was an interesting view of an isolated island and its habitants.The characters were memorable and the story was a definite page-turner. The ending was not expected and a complete surprise. I look forward to reading the other books in the trilogy. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.
- A. E. Housman, “Blue Remembered Hills”
Tri rudan a thig gun iarraidh: an t-eagal, an t-eudach’s an gaol.
(Three things that come without asking: fear, love and jealousy.)
- Gaelic proverb
For Stephen, with whom I travelled those happy highways.
They are just kids.
Marsaili and I went down to the beach at Port of Ness. We picked our way in the dark through the rocks at the south end of it, to a slab of black gneiss worn smooth by aeons, hidden away from the rest of the world by layers of rock that appeared to have been cut into giant slices, stood on end, then tipped over to lie in skewed stacks. Cliffs rose up above us to a night sky of infinite possibilities. The tide was out, but we could hear the sea breathing gently on the shore. A warm breeze rattled the sun-dried heather that grew in ragged, earthy clumps on shelves and ledges in the cliff.
...someone had a fire lit in their hearth. That rich, toasty, unmistakable smell of peat smoke carried to him on the breeze. It took him back twenty, thirty years. It was extraordinary, he thought, how much he had changed in that time, and how little things had changed in this place where he had grown up. He felt like a ghost haunting his own past, walking the streets of his childhood.
... there was an unspoken bond between them all. It was a very exclusive club whose membership extended to a mere handful of men going back over five hundred years. You only had to have been out to An Sgeir one time to qualify for membership, proving your courage and strength, and your ability to endure against the elements. Their predecessors had made the journey in open boats on mountainous seas because they had to, to survive, to feed hungry villagers. Now they went out in a trawler to bring back a delicacy much sought after by well-fed islanders. But their stay on the rock was no less hazardous, no less demanding than it had been for all those who had gone before.

A brutal killing takes place on the isle of Lewis, Scotland — a land of harsh beauty and inhabitants of deep-rooted faith.

A MURDER

Detective Fin Macleod is sent from Edinburgh to investigate. For Lewis-born Macleod, the case represents a journey both home and into his past.

A SECRET

Something lurks within the close-knit island community. Something sinister.

A TRAP

As Fin investigates, old skeletons begin to surface, and soon he, the hunter becomes the hunted.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The isle of Lewis is the most desolate and harshly beautiful place in Scotland, where the brutality of daily life is outweighed only by people's fear of God. When a bloody murder on the island bears the hallmarks of a similar slaying in Edinburgh, police detective Fin Macleod is dispatched north to investigate. Since Fin himself was raised on the island, the investigation represents not only a journey home but a voyage into his past, as he attempts to rediscover the life and people he left behind.

Each year twelve island men, among them Fin's boyhood friends, sail out to a remote and treacherous rock called An Sgeir on a perilous quest to slaughter nesting seabirds. No longer necessary for survival, this rite of passage is fiercely defended against all the demands of modern morality. But for Fin the hunt harbours a horrific memory which might, after all this time, demand an even greater sacrifice.

The Blackhouse is a crime novel of rare power and vision. It is a murder mystery that explores the shadows in our souls, set in a place where the past is ever near the surface, and life blurs into myth and history.

When a grisly murder occurs on a Scottish island, Edinburgh detective Fin Macleod must confront his past if he is ever going to discover if the killing has a connection to another one that took place on the mainland.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,239,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible