The Frozen Sky: The Novel by Jeff Carlson

The Frozen Sky: The Novel (edition 2012)

by Jeff Carlson

Member:Jeff_Carlson
Title:The Frozen Sky: The Novel
Authors:Jeff Carlson
Info:Candlemark & Gleam (2012), Paperback, 346 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:science fiction, high tech, space opera, aliens, first contact

The Frozen Sky [Short Story] by Jeff Carlson

"Frozen Sky" is quality science fiction. The frozen world of Europa is a natural setting for a sci-fi novel, and the world is well explained and described. I won't belabor my point any further, it is definitely worth anyone's time and money. Read it!

Now, a few criticisms (danger spoilers!): If I was trapped in Europa, I wouldn't make a AI out of my recently deceased friend, especially when experience and protocol tell me an advanced AI will use my super space suit to touch me in an inappropriate manner then turn the interior of my suit into a microwave oven. If Lim had uploaded his AI program as he faced certain death while hanging from a cliff or some such, I could buy that. But voluntarily hacking together a possible Hal AI strikes me as foolish and unnecessary.

There are a few pictures in the novel that are amateurish and a bit ugly. The maps don't do anything for the story either. ( )
  Richard.Fox | Dec 14, 2014 |

Richard.Fox | Dec 14, 2014 |
The Frozen Sky is about the first manned mission to Europa. A group of archaeologists are exploring Jupiter's moon and the governments of the world are waiting to see what materials from Europa can be used back on Earth. The crew finds more then they bargained for when they find some hieroglyphs and other signs of life. Europa is indeed inhabited and the natives don't like visitors.

The story is mostly told from one of the crew member's point of view; a 36 year old woman named Alexis who the rest of the characters see as being childish. Alexis has to run for her life through frozen ravines and canyons of rock while being chased by creatures that resemble starfish. To make matters worse her spacesuit has a mind of its own and has its own plan for handling the situation.

There is a lot going on in a short period of time in The Frozen Sky. A lot of the story is told through flashback as the crew fights for their lives, the back story unfolds and you learn why the mission is taking place, what is at stake and what the crew hopes to get out of the trip. I liked how Jeff Carlson started the story in the middle of the action and then back tracked to tell how we got to where we are. I think if the story was told from the beginning it wouldn't have worked as well.

You could tell Jeff Carlson did his homework and did a lot of research on what Europa was like. I loved how this alien world was described. I also enjoyed watching Alexis wrestle with the question of how she will escape the creatures or is it possible to communicate with them without causing them harm. Another good thing was how the aliens were presented in the story, at first you see them as monsters but you start to learn about the conditions that they live in and how that shaped what they are. Europa is a harsh environment to live in and there is another surprise in the story that makes the moon's inhabitants lives even harder.

This novella will probably best be enjoyed by hard core science fiction readers. It has a good mix of science and politics set in the 22nd century and quite a bit of action as well. The Frozen Sky was a really fun read that can be enjoyed on many levels and it really gets you thinking on what may be living on Europa. ( )
  dwatson2 | Jun 9, 2012 |
A great little hard sci-fi story. Told in an inside out fashion. ( )
  jefware | Sep 13, 2011 |
One of the first short stories I bought on Kindle, and a pretty good hard sf one. I'll try some others of his and see. ( )
  iceT | Aug 23, 2011 |
NB: This short story is a different text than "The Frozen Sky: A Novel" by the same author. The two should not be combined.

Jeff Carlson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible