The Patriot Paradox: The Reluctant Hero…

The Patriot Paradox: The Reluctant Hero Series (edition 2010)

by William Esmont, Lynn O'Dell (Editor), Christopher Muller (Illustrator)

Member:Sara2012
Title:The Patriot Paradox: The Reluctant Hero Series
Authors:William Esmont
Other authors:Lynn O'Dell (Editor), Christopher Muller (Illustrator)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2010), Paperback, 268 pages
Rating:*****

The Patriot Paradox by William Esmont

I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

This was a fast-paced thriller. Not quite as fast-paced as, say, an episode of 24, but pretty close! The book started off with a lot of tension and given that the author doesn't spend a lot of time on character development before thrusting us into another tense situation, we don't have much time to guess at the motivations or backgrounds of the main players. My guess is that this will develop over the series. Much like in Law and Order, we get snippets of the characters and what motivates them, but mostly it's the action we're looking for and action is what we get, with our understanding of the characters developing over several episodes.

leesalogic | May 10, 2013 |
"Mike's last thoughts, of his wife and children, flew through the back of his skull at four hundred and fifty feet per second"
The last sentence of the first chapter; I was hooked. Mike is...was...Mike Vetter, a CIA agent, likely killed by his own people. His brother, Kurt, himself a former CIA analyst, rushed home from Peru, where he was escaping the tragedy of the sudden death of his wife and daughter. Instead of mourning for his brother, he was thrust into what Mike was unable to complete before his death: getting the data Mike was killed for into the hands of Amanda Carson, a woman Kurt had never heard of, but one of the few people Mike trusted. As soon as he did, Kurt and Amanda were running for their lives, chased by rogue CIA agents that would stop at nothing to complete their mission.

The Patriot Paradox by William Esmont is a fast paced, story driven book; those looking for deep, complex characters will be disappointed.
One of the things I liked about the book was the use of technology. Cell phones, voice recognition, powerful search engines, and more; perfect for the conspiracy theorists and Big Brother types among us (sadly, mush of the technology highlighted is likely very possible, and should concern most of us...but that's for a different post!).
Though I generally enjoy more character development, I can appreciate a good story, too. This one was good, but could have been better; a bit more hot pursuit, some more close calls for our heroes, or keeping the secret of the threat to world peace a little longer.

If you're looking for an in depth mystery, The Patriot Paradox may leave you lacking. But if you need a quick read on a rainy Sunday, or a good vacation book to get lost in, it will be a home run! And since I'm on vacation, I just ordered the sequel, Pressed!
  glichman | Apr 27, 2013 |
I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

This is a great afternoon read. Less than 200 pages, it's much like watching a series on TV, where you get a teaser for the next episode. Classic! ( )
  leesalogic | Apr 16, 2013 |
Certainly a new twist to the Bond-themed novels on yesteryear, Patriot Paradox is the story of Kurt Vetter, and the circumstances surrounding his brother Mike's death. A thriller set through Europe and Asia, a spurned on by the lovely and secretive Amanda, as well as the agency meddling who has a stake in keeping the secrets of Mike's death hidden, this is a pretty decent book. ( )
  kristincedar | Feb 19, 2013 |
I'm so glad I was given this book to read by the author for a read and review.

Mike Vetter has information on a top secret terrorist plot to set off an explosive bomb to go off in downtown Moscow. He steals the evidence and sends it to his brother. Mike is murdered afterwards.

Kurt Vetter receives the evidence and knows its something BIG. He listens to audio and reads written transcripts. Mike tells him (through the evidence) to find Amanda Carter.

Mike and Amanda are aware they are being followed. Can they stop the bomb in time? or will they die with the rest of them?

Wow, this was a fast paced thriller of a read. It's super easy to understand and the story flow is nice. The characters are likable.

The ending had a twist and makes you want to read the next book in the series. I definitely want to read more of this author. ( )
  Bookworm247 | Dec 30, 2012 |

Conscience can be a killer.

A plot to kill a nation, hatched by a secret cabal of ex-cold warriors intent on finishing the war that defined their existence. One man, who in a crisis of conscience, passes information about the plot to his brother, a shattered soul living on the edges of society.

When Kurt Vetter learns of his brother's murder, he has no idea how far he will travel, how much he will sacrifice, in order to uncover the truth. With the help of Amanda Carter, a shadowy figure from his brother's past, he races across the globe, staying one step ahead of a trained assassin, in a desperate bid to prevent the unthinkable from becoming reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

William Esmont is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible