The Patriot Paradox by William Esmont

The Patriot Paradox (edition 2010)

by William Esmont

Member:Bookworm247
Title:The Patriot Paradox
Authors:William Esmont
Info:Cross Country Publishing (2010), Paperback, 250 pages
Rating:*****

The Patriot Paradox by William Esmont

action (1) blog-reviews (1) book 1 (1) CIA (1) DRM (1) E (1) ebook (7) espionage (2) fiction (4) first in series (1) freebie (3) giveaway (1) indie (1) Kindle (5) MG (1) murder (1) mystery (2) mystery-thriller (1) read (1) reluctant hero (1) Russia (1) series (1) Shelfari (1) Smashwords Library (1) spy (2) Stephen King (1) thriller (9) to-read (6) UPLOAD3 (1) US (1)

It is a great short story full of action with a very intriguing plot. It was only a few hours long but I couldn't stop listening to it. ( )
  spacechick365 | Oct 4, 2015 |
I received this free audiobook from the author in exchange for an honest review. This is a fast paced, action packed conspiracy techno thriller involving a rogue U.S. government group who must be stopped as they deal with the Cold War on their own terms. I found this book difficult to turn off; just wanted to find out what would happen next. Kevin Pierce does an excellent job as narrator and I found him easy to listen to. The book has a cliffhanger ending and I will be reading the next book in the Reluctant Hero series to find out what happens with Kurt, Amanda, and The President. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an action packed, fast moving techno thriller. ( )
  iadam | Aug 23, 2015 |
I received this book as part of a LibraryThing Giveaway. I have always liked the spy thriller genre, and this book does not disappoint. I liked how the plot unfolded, the locations, the use of technology, and how all the characters, both good and bad, were well-developed. I thought the ending was predictable, but I am looking forward to the next story in this series. ( )
  calicocat901 | Jan 4, 2014 |
I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

This was a fast-paced thriller. Not quite as fast-paced as, say, an episode of 24, but pretty close! The book started off with a lot of tension and given that the author doesn't spend a lot of time on character development before thrusting us into another tense situation, we don't have much time to guess at the motivations or backgrounds of the main players. My guess is that this will develop over the series. Much like in Law and Order, we get snippets of the characters and what motivates them, but mostly it's the action we're looking for and action is what we get, with our understanding of the characters developing over several episodes.

This is a great afternoon read. Less than 200 pages, it's much like watching a series on TV, where you get a teaser for the next episode. Classic!
  leesalogic | May 10, 2013 |
"Mike's last thoughts, of his wife and children, flew through the back of his skull at four hundred and fifty feet per second"
The last sentence of the first chapter; I was hooked. Mike is...was...Mike Vetter, a CIA agent, likely killed by his own people. His brother, Kurt, himself a former CIA analyst, rushed home from Peru, where he was escaping the tragedy of the sudden death of his wife and daughter. Instead of mourning for his brother, he was thrust into what Mike was unable to complete before his death: getting the data Mike was killed for into the hands of Amanda Carson, a woman Kurt had never heard of, but one of the few people Mike trusted. As soon as he did, Kurt and Amanda were running for their lives, chased by rogue CIA agents that would stop at nothing to complete their mission.

The Patriot Paradox by William Esmont is a fast paced, story driven book; those looking for deep, complex characters will be disappointed.
One of the things I liked about the book was the use of technology. Cell phones, voice recognition, powerful search engines, and more; perfect for the conspiracy theorists and Big Brother types among us (sadly, mush of the technology highlighted is likely very possible, and should concern most of us...but that's for a different post!).
Though I generally enjoy more character development, I can appreciate a good story, too. This one was good, but could have been better; a bit more hot pursuit, some more close calls for our heroes, or keeping the secret of the threat to world peace a little longer.

If you're looking for an in depth mystery, The Patriot Paradox may leave you lacking. But if you need a quick read on a rainy Sunday, or a good vacation book to get lost in, it will be a home run! And since I'm on vacation, I just ordered the sequel, Pressed!
  glichman | Apr 27, 2013 |

Conscience can be a killer.

A plot to kill a nation, hatched by a secret cabal of ex-cold warriors intent on finishing the war that defined their existence. One man, who in a crisis of conscience, passes information about the plot to his brother, a shattered soul living on the edges of society.

When Kurt Vetter learns of his brother's murder, he has no idea how far he will travel, how much he will sacrifice, in order to uncover the truth. With the help of Amanda Carter, a shadowy figure from his brother's past, he races across the globe, staying one step ahead of a trained assassin, in a desperate bid to prevent the unthinkable from becoming reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

William Esmont is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,908,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible