Vanish: A Firelight Novel by Sophie Jordan

Vanish: A Firelight Novel (edition 2011)

by Sophie Jordan

Member:Bookswithbite
Title:Vanish: A Firelight Novel
Authors:Sophie Jordan
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages

Vanish by Sophie Jordan

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
Loved it! Loved going back to the world Sophie Jordan created. Vanish is fast paced, action packed and will keep you hooked. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
Angst, much angst, Jacinda is seen as a traitor, Will is still alive and wants her to run away with him while the dragon leaders want her to submit and be a dutiful dragon and breed more dragons for the species. Her sister now has power and is starting to enjoy being who she should be rather than an outcaste but Jacinda wants Will.

Jacinda should get her own self worth. Granted what she's about to do is heroic but someone who is used to being treated as submissive isn't going to be all that able to resist the pressure. I suspect handwavium or deus ex will get used to finish the series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 5, 2014 |
(I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

(On the off chance that you haven't read Firelight yet, I won't give any spoilers that don't appear in the Goodreads summary.)

I really enjoyed Firelight, the first book in this trilogy. I was expecting to enjoy Vanish as well, and I wasn't disappointed. I like the use of dragons (draki), as they're one of my favorite mythological creatures. I thought it was fascinating how these draki are descended from dragons and can morph between their human and draki forms.

Jacinda is back with the pride, and being forced to submit to the alpha's will. She's got enough free will of her own to bristle at the constant monitoring and snubs that she's experiencing. At times, she bugged me, to be honest. I got a little tired of her 'I'm feeling the weight of the world' thoughts, but I can see where she's coming from. She's always been made to feel like things were her fault, that exceptions were made because of her, etc. etc. She gets it especially from her family. She always feels like she's the lesser daughter because she embraces her draki, unlike her mom. That would be hard. There are times when she wonders if it came down to her mom having to choose between her and Tamra (her twin sister), if she'd even be in the running. That's a hard thing to take, so I do understand her thought processes. I think the frequency was more what annoyed me.

I'm glad that her strong self shone through more often than not. She made plans, worked to put them into action, and took responsibility for them. Things didn't always work out, but she kept trying.

This is the middle book of a trilogy. It could easily go into a sequel slump, but I didn't feel like it ever did. I've enjoyed the plot thus far. I like the love triangle that really isn't. I like that there is conflict between the two guys, but not really on Jacinda's part. She's totally Team Will, which I love, because I'm totally Team Will. Not that I don't like Cassian, but I like him better with Tamra. I like where this story is going. I really love Sophie Jordan's story-telling style. It's easy to read and very easy to get lost in.

I'm hoping that in Hidden (out this year!), we finally get a glimpse (okay, more than a glimpse) of the fabled enkros. I'm dying to know what that's all about! Also, I simply MUST see the cover!

I'm giving Vanish a 'Pick Me' rating for being a pretty sweet middle book! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
**Spoiler alert: After the first two paragraphs of my review, there are a few spoilers, so please don't continue reading if you want to avoid them.**

Whenever I think of Jacinda in this book, I think of myself as a teenager, lying on my bed in the dark (in the afternoon, no less), repeatedly listening to The Cure and Pearl Jam, writing depressing songs lyrics and poems on my Converse in marker; writing stories in which I am hit by a car and everyone feels so sorry they werenÛªt nicer to me before I died; scrutinizing myself with horror in the mirror; screaming at my parents that they didn‰Ûªt understand anything and were so unfair and stomping around slamming doors and such. I think of the endless painful crush I had on a particular boy and how I felt like the air got sucked out of the room every time he was with someone else, and how I would drive around at night just so I could be alone, crying and feeling like everything had gone wrong.

And I forgive Jacinda a bit for being so melodramatic and self-pitying and miserable in this book, because while her constant ‰ÛÏwoe is me, my life is so tragic‰Û attitude gets annoying, she has good cause to feel that way. She certainly has more cause to feel that way than I did, and at least her story is written by someone who knows how to evoke those emotions strongly but can also temper them with some heavy action scenes: fighting, chases and escapes, sneaking past enemies, you get the idea.

Look at everything that‰Ûªs happened to Jacinda. Even though she risked her life and her secret as a draki shapeshifter to save Will, her human boyfriend, she lost him anyway, and now he‰Ûªs back with the draki hunters with a (supposedly) wiped memory. While she‰Ûªs pining for him, he might not even remember her, which leads to, you guessed it, MORE pining. Then there‰Ûªs home, her little draki community in the mountains. Through much of Firelight, all she wanted to do was go home, get out of the stifling hot desert air where her draki was withering, and now she‰Ûªs finally returned and she‰Ûªs happy for, like, a second. Literally. Then her and her mother are put under house arrest for fleeing in the first place, and when everyone finds out (accidentally) that Jacinda had the hots for a human, and a hunter, no less, they ostracize her right quick. Also, ALSO, her sister Tamra manifests into a super rare shader draki, so while Jacinda and her mom are shunned and spied on and ignored, Tamra is actually a celebrity. Even though Jacinda always complained about being the pride's celebrity, having it taken away and given to her sister sucks. Oh, and her mom starts self-medicating and becomes totally useless. Then, there‰Ûªs Cassian, who hasn‰Ûªt given up trying to make Jacinda his wifey-poo. Only, as it turns out, he‰Ûªs not so bad; he might actually understand her better than anyone in town, and maybe she has the hots for him, too. And finally, there‰Ûªs Cassian‰Ûªs dad, who still wants to clip her wings the second she puts one talon out of line.

So. Let‰Ûªs recap. Pining for Will, who has (supposedly) forgotten her. Shunned by her former friends and neighbors. Separated from her sister, who is living the high life that used to be hers. Pining for Will. Being afraid of Cassian‰Ûªs dad. Having the hots for Cassian. Making out with Cassian. No, wait! Pining for Will! No wonder she mopes around for so long.

Eventually, she starts to assimilate back into the community: people start trusting her again, she wins back her friends, makes up with her sister, and Cassian and her start to get cozy-ish. So, when Will shows up in town, pretending to be a lost hunter, as we all knew he would, she‰Ûªs understandably in a tizzy, because she had just started to convince herself that she could make a life with Cassian, and now she can‰Ûªt unthink those thoughts (or the kiss they shared). But Will‰Ûªs all, ‰ÛÏRun away with me! I love you and we will be together no matter how many people hunt us down and try to kill us!‰Û Jacinda thinks about how awful it would be for her to abandon her mother and sister and friends; how irresponsible it would be to betray her community and put them at risk by going on the run with Will, who has draki hunters coming out the wazoo after him; and how mean it would be to hurt Cassian by running away with Will after she had the sexy times with him ‰ÛÒ and then she agrees. Quickly. And I wanted to slap her.

Vanish is well-written, just like the first one, highly emotional, with a ton of action (once Will shows up anyway), and the series has a very interesting shape-shifting take on dragons that I think is different enough to stand out. The ending, which I will not spoil here, leaves the book in such a truly exciting place that I will have to pick up the next one. Jordan definitely knows how to get Jacinda into some real trouble. I enjoyed how Firelight explored Jacinda‰Ûªs thorny but loving relationships with her mother and sister AND Will, but in Vanish all of the other relationships take a backseat to the boys and their imminent love triangle. I wanted to slap Jacinda over and over again for making a series of incredibly selfish, poorly thought out decisions, most of which arise out of her ping-ponging between Cassian and Will. I know love encompasses all, and everything, but it‰Ûªs terrible how she just throws her sister and mother and whole community under the bus for a chance to run away with Will, knowing the whole time that it‰Ûªs probably a bad idea and she‰Ûªll regret it (and it is, and she does).

I don‰Ûªt care that she‰Ûªs wishy-washy about the two guys in her life, each of whom feel like a potential soul mate; that‰Ûªs standard PNR fare and she has hot chemistry with both of them (Jordan writes some smokin' make-out scenes). Sure, it‰Ûªs not my favorite plotline but as long as something else interesting is going on that doesn‰Ûªt center entirely around the ‰ÛÏwhich boy will I pick‰Û dilemma, I enjoy it. And that‰Ûªs where Vanish fell below Firelight for me, because only at the end does Jacinda start making decisions that feel like she‰Ûªs thinking of someone other than herself and Will/Cassian.

I'm definitely still excited to read the third book and see what happens to our merry band of Jacinda, Tamra, Will, and Cassian on the road, and I hope there's more Tamra, as she seems to be developing as a particularly strong character. And since it's tradition to come down on a side for these PNR love triangles, I will tell you I am Team Cassian, because he seems like he actually uses his head and also thinks of others before himself. Will is just like Jacinda.

ETA: Edited because Word auto-correct doesn't like the word "draki" or "Cassian" and kept changing them to "drake" and "Caspian" behind my back. Hope I caught all of them.
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
This second story in the series was a very quick read for me. I had problems with the wishy-washyness of Jacinda. I never want to go back, but I do. I want this guy but I am attracted to the other. My daughter told me that every teen romance has to have a love triangle. Well this story has that and more. Kind of a love triangle with some of the weird angles. The story ended leaving me wanting to know what happens next, weird angles and all. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |

To save the life of the boy she loves, Jacinda did the unthinkable: she betrayed the most closely guarded secret of her kind. Now she must return to the protection of her pride knowing she might never see Will again-- and worse, that because his mind has been shaded, Will's memories of that fateful night and why she had to flee are gone.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible