The 100 Best Affordable Vacations by Jane…

The 100 Best Affordable Vacations

by Jane Wooldridge

My frustration with most travel books is that they are too specialized. They limit themselves to addressing a specific state/destination (Hawaii, Disneyland), a specific familial status (singles/families, luxury/budget, pets, gay/lesbian), or a specific special interest (camping, food, spas, natural wonders).

What makes this book different is that, rather than specializing, the authors list 100 eclectic "special interest" vacations and then recommend starting points for each, leaving you (the traveler) to customize a trip that suits your geographic location, your family status, and your budget.

For each theme/topic, the authors list the top 2-5 relevant (and affordable) attractions. Then, they supplement this list with a bunch of additional ideas, some specific, but others of a more general nature, encouraging the reader to seek out opportunities to explore the suggested theme with consideration to their own geographic location, time constraints, money constraints, preferences and limitations.

Ideas include everything from "Follow the BBQ Trail" to "Relive the American Revolution", from "Collect Waterfalls" to "Hobnob With Authors", from "Learn About Stars" to "Spend a Night at a Museum". Did I say eclectic? But that's part of the book's charm, making you realize that a vacation is more than a destination - it's about gaining a memorable life experience.

Not for nothing, but I also appreciate the typeface, page thickness, and clear, uncluttered graphic layout of the volume. I find the presentation of so many travel books to be cramped, cluttered and poorly organized.

In past years, having to plan our family's annual summer vacation has been an onerous chore. Where can we go that we haven't already gone? what will we do that we haven't already done? Thanks to this book, however, I've started thinking differently about vacations and have so many great ideas, I just hope there are enouh summers ...! ( )
  Dorritt | Jun 10, 2011 |

Offers advice on out of the ordinary vacation opportunities, from the Texas state fair to "unknown" national parks, with profiles of inspirational travelers and sidebars about off-season travel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,366,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible