Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (2011)

by Ernest Cline

Series: Ready Player One (1)

9,562837455 (4.15)3 / 838
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Characters have to solve a mystery left by a deceased (fictional) creative artist; similar reference name-dropping, obsession with details and re-creations
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)

English (817)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (834)
J.T. liked that the book doesn’t just focus on the virtual world, but on the real world too.

In a run-down future with pollution and poverty, everyone plays a video game called OASIS to escape from their real worlds. They're all looking for the "Easter egg," and when they find it, they’re able to win control of the company and untold millions of dollars. People stop searching for it after awhile. Wade has been searching for awhile and one day he figures out where it is. He needs the rest of the keys to get the egg and win the $$. There’s another company that wants The Oasis. It's a race to see who will win control of the company first.
  FinneytownSecondary | Nov 10, 2018 |
After reading the review of the movie, I wondered how a book set in the future could have so many pop culture references and yet be confined to the 80s. The book quickly explained that aspect for me. I am not a gamer of any kind but I found the novel compelling nonetheless. The world of OASIS was so rich that the descriptions of real life were easily overlooked or forgotten. I found the online relationships so rich and it direct opposition to the IRL social life of Wade. The race to win the game was compelling and exciting ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 30, 2018 |
I had rollicking fun with this megastore of 80ies popculture and video-game history übernerd World of Warcraft quest, battling the giant evil corporation. I had been a game programmer in the 90ies and there was an amazing number of references I could catch, including the parallel to id Software, the creators of Quake. I also loved the references to many of my favorites like the Hitchhiker's Guide and Discworld, and quotes from Monthy Python And The Holy Grail (one of all-time favorites).

The language was smooth, the descriptions were great. Cline created a very immersive world, even without haptic suits. The technology was well-explained without too much technical detail.

The action was fantastic, kept me glued to my Kindle. I didn't want it to finish! The best adventure story I read lately. Five glowing stars!

Update June 7, 2018: Listened to the audio version narrated by Wil Wheaton, and I had just as much fun this time. Wil was clearly having a blast, and I loved it when he mentions himself in the book. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Good fun. ( )
  LinzFG | Oct 20, 2018 |
Cline's ability to build worlds is one of the strongest aspects of this book. He's able to explain things enough so that non-gamers (like myself) can understand everything he's created. There are a plethora of 80s references throughout the book, given that James Halliday is a huge fan/nerd of the 80s. While I didn't understand all of them, I had enough base knowledge to understand most of them. Wade is relatable and realistic, adding to the colorful tapestry that Cline has created in his world.

Though the book is a little on the long side, and drags a little before the end, it's still an a fantastic work of science fiction. Engrossing, entertaining, and great for science fiction fans of all kinds.

Checkout my full review at Between-the-Shelves.com! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spini, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHISKYTREEINCCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines -- puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win -- and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape"--Page 2 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,226,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible