Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (2011)

by Ernest Cline (Author)

3,6824261,427 (4.22)3 / 465
Recently added bytheophorus, private library, breic, dulcinea14, hdtag, bookwormteri, callmecayce
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.

English (416)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (421)
OMG...I adore this book. Between the video game and pop culture references and the dystopia....I could not put it down.

Basically, everyone lives online, or is there for all their freetime in the OASIS. Costs a quarter to join and you can live your second life. Halliday, the creator of OASIS, dies and leaves the ownership of OASIS up for grabs. But you have to beat his game. And everyone is trying to win. Become rich and own the OASIS? Who wouldn't? However, evil corporations are also trying to win and make it a pay for play site and full of ads...Wade, a young man with nothing to lose finds the first key and now everyone is looking for him.

It is so much better than I can even describe. Pick it up and get lost in this novel. ( )
  bookwormteri | Sep 16, 2014 |
Fast paced and exciting.
I was seriously engaged in the characters and the Hunt the entire time, even to the point where I was frustrated with Wade for slacking off in between the Copper and Jade Gates.

I've seen this book lurking around for a while in a ton of recommendation lists, but I've always ignored it because I usually think pop culture references in books are a little tacky, especially if you're not well-versed in them. And I'm not exactly a child of the 80's. I knew maybe half of the references. But still, that didn't stop this from being a fantastic book.

I love the concept of Easter Eggs in video games put into play in an entire world-wide virtual reality. The pacing of the gate discoveries were great and I like how there was some, but not overwhelming, amounts of romance.
But really, this book has a little bit of everything. A dash of romance, an adventure with a hidden secret, a villain, undercover adventures, etc. I thought it was pretty fantastic how the Wade had to do some real legwork in the real world for the quest when he has to take down the main villain's support.

There are just some really fantastic scenes. The Pacman game with that quarter, the use of giant robots, the actual final Crystal Gate, etc. all come to mind.

I do wish that more emphasis was given on the real world, especially since it seems to be dissolving around their ears with lack of resources and tons of pollution. But I guess that's a little impossible within one book and completely understandable it's not there.

4 stars. Highly recommended. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Originally posted in a review blog of sorts..."

...

What do you get if you took World of Warcraft, the Sims, and The Surrogates and mixed them in a blender for 80 seconds? If you said that you’d get a world where you could control your own ‘Sim’ in a huge massively multiplayer online world, where you can go on quests, hang out with friends, and even go to school. And in this world, it allows players to be anything that they wanted to be. A hotter body, sure. An awesome warrior with cool weapons and has huge muscles, of course. A player, in both senses, whatever you want you can get. The world offers a better you, a better life, a better world, so much so that some people spend their entire time in the online world that they forget about the real world.

If this was your answer, then you’d be correct. You’d also be correct if you said that you’d get the delightful debut novel, Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline.
When James Halliday, the creator of OASIS, passes away it kicks off contest like no other. Since he was never married and has no offspring or friends, his entire fortune is up for grabs. And what better way to do this then with a game? In his will, he left a puzzle. Solve it and you get to do a quest, once you do that, you get another puzzle. Solve that and you do a question...I think you get the idea.

The only way to get this is if you immerse yourself in all things Halliday. He loved the 80s, so even though the year is 2040, the 80s made a huge comeback. The more you know the better chance you have at winning the inheritance and gaining total control over OASIS.

The main character, Wade, goes on this quest, but finds that the further he gets into this puzzle, the deadly it becomes for him, not only in OASIS, but in the real world to.

~-.-~

Overall:

Ready Player One has a lot of great things going for it. As a gamer, I loved reading about the world that Cline created and seeing how it affected everyday life. Even though I didn’t grow up in the 80s, I did get a lot of the pop culture references and what not. Just a note, there is a lot of 80s references. A lot.

The story, as a whole, is fairly interesting. On one hand, it’s exciting and seeing how Wade figures out the puzzles was fun to read. But on the other hand, the book did tend to tell you things instead of showing them to you. I think with this book it was a bit hard to not have an info dump here and there, because of the nature of the story. I just wish that the info dumps weren’t so much. I wanted to read more about what Wade was doing and even learn more about his dystopian world.

The characters are a bit hit and miss too. I found Wade annoying and stupid, but he was an interesting character. But I think the main problem is that the good guys are clearly labelled; and therefore, they don’t have as much depth to them as I would have liked. The same goes with the bad guys. The Sixers, minus the head honcho, had no personality. The main villain was a touch over the top. You do get some development, but not as much as I'd like.

I think my biggest con of this book is the first few pages. In the prologue, Wade tells us that he was the winner of the competition and is writing this book in order to set the record straight. I felt like this kind of took away from the climax of the story. Instead of wondering whether Wade makes it or not, I already knew that he got it. The sense of surprise was taken out.

This may seem like I hated the novel, but I didn't. I actually liked the story and felt like Cline did a great job for his debut novel. There are problems, but I did like the premise and the gamer in me had fun reading this. I'll be looking forward to Cline's next novel. Definitely check this one out.

3.5 stars ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Loved this book! It's my fave or all the ones I've read this year. The author has a mixtape list on his website of all the songs mentioned in the book.

http://www.ernestcline.com/blog/2011/09/21/the-official-ready-player-one-soundtr... ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
In the year 2044, reality is ugly & the only place of refugee is the online world of Oasis, a virtual utopia (like the Sims games). When the creator dies and leaves behind a maze of puzzles and riddles based on 1980s trivia, Wade’s new mission is to crack the code and win before the evil corporate clones do.

Read more at: http://thenovelworld.com/2014/07/14/ready-player-one-by-ernest-cline/ ( )
  TheNovelWorld | Sep 5, 2014 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible